General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help from the ladies for my wife... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-10 8:25 AM

User image

Subject: Help from the ladies for my wife...
I posted this in another thread, but I think it makes more sense here.  My wife is planning to run a Try-a-tri in August, then a Sprint in September.  Her biggest concern (no pun intended) is a sports bra that will do the job.  She wears a D/DD depending on brand.  She currently is wearing one of these Enell things.  Looks to me like a cross between a straight-jacket and a corset.  Anyway, she loves it for running, but isn't so sure it will do well being in the water.  So, the main question is in a couple of parts...
1) What do women wear in the water?  What do you change into in transition?
2) What bra do you wear, especially those of you who are a bit bigger on top?
3) Any other imput you might have.

Thanks for the help.

2010-04-11 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2781926

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
Subject: RE: Help from the ladies for my wife...
I'll give it shot even though I'm not a woman and my wife doesn't need that much support but I did a lot of reading about the subject for my wife when she got started in triathlon.

A.  I think you'll find that most people will wear a technical sports bra under a tri top/suit for the entire event.  At most races there is really no way to change clothes modestly since the transition area is wide open.  Not to mention how much time would be wasted changing into a sports bra when wet.  A technical fabric bra will dry out fairly quickly and shouldn't be an issue.

B.  Take a look at the Moving Comfort line of bras.  Especially the Fiona.  That one is recommended by a lot of women that need good support.

C.  Hopefully you'll get a female response!
2010-04-16 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I wear a sports bra under my tri top - I'm in the "aero-boobies" category though - so I can't recommend a particular bra - but I will point you towards the Runner's World website.  Every year they do a review on sports bras.  Just look them up on there - they sort them by size so each category has a "winner".

I wear a wetsuit - so it doesn't matter that my tri-top doesn't fit really close.  The bra I do wear is all spandex/lycra so it dries quickly.  That is something to consider.  She won't want to have to change in transition.

Good luck to her and tell her to have FUN!
2010-04-18 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR

Agreeing with what was said already! She'll just need to wear a good sports bra under whatever top she is planning on using for the race.

If the Enell works for her, she should try a swim in it and see how it works (under her tri top). Those babies are all spandex/lycra so it should dry similarly to tri shorts. She can look into some other sports bras designed for DD size in high impact- Moving Comfort makes a couple, as does Champion and CW-X. I personally found the Enell just a little too much and was able to find another sports bra that was less of a torture device but still was a good boob masher and eliminated bounce. I get very disturbed when I see gals out there running without proper support because 1. that has to hurt and 2. it can really cause a great deal of sag in a short period of time. One good online place to look for sports bras is Title9 sports. Good luck!!

2010-04-19 9:58 PM

Irvine, CA
I haven't had my 1st race yet, but I am planning on wearing a Moving Comfort Fiona under my tri suit. Even though my tri suit comes with a built in mesh bra, it's nowhere near enough support for my girls. My tri coach swears by the Fiona and wears them in all her tris.
2010-04-20 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
Combine a tri top that has a built-in bra and a sports bra underneath, and you've got plenty of support for most all cup sizes.  Just make sure it's not cotton!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help from the ladies for my wife... Rss Feed