Highlands Ranch Community Association
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 64m 53s
Overall Rank = 93/128
Age Group = 4049
Age Group Rank = 16/18
Pre-race routine:

Usual pattern, up at 6, coffee and 2 eggwhites on 1/2 bagel, juice and coffee. A little slow from the night before - Tilted Kilt for dinner, followed by tilted ice at the Pepsi Center, the puck was in our zone all night. Avalanche will be playing golf soon, I think.
Drove over to the designated school lot and parked, and discovered the race was moved to the park on the far side of the field hockey tournament.
Event warmup:

~10 minutes of stretching before leaving the house.
The added distance from parking made for a good little warm-up jog, then back to the car with the bag of race junk, then back again to the starting line
Run
  • 64m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Start line at the West Edge of Red Tail Park. No 1,000 yards of level ground to start this year, Uphill right off the bat, on the dirt maintenance road leading up to the back-country area..up, up, up.
Through the gate into the back-country trails, terrain is now single track trail with baby-head rocks everywhere. I stepped on five, all with my right foot, all while trying to see around 3 different people at points, as the trail is only one person wide. Up and down the ridge line, then all the way down to Griggs road, for benefit of going back up that hill.
At this point I made my move, drifting effortlessly from BMOP to FBOP and boosting the confidence of 8-10 other runners in the process.
Finally reach the top of Griggs and back onto the east-west trail, which looks flat after the 1st 3.5 miles. After about another mile, gravity sucks me down past the mile 5 marker, and soon I can see the finish line, and thinking the rest is forgiving level terrain. Wrong thought again.
Course takes a hard left west, onto a portion of east-west trail that must double as a BMX-MTB course...the hillside trail cut is relatively even, but the trail isn't because there are dirt humps about every 8-15 feet. Out, then back over the same punishment.
Race finished up with the last ~.2 on pavement. One new benefit of the setup is the finish line funneled directly to the vendor zone entrance, where gatorade, beer and garlic pizza knots were waiting. Yes, it was in that order because that was the order of the tents.
What would you do differently?:

Stay home the night before instead of saying yes to Guys Night Out. Yea, like that's gonna happen...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked off the run in the park, wondered what I've done to my left calf, and walked back to the care. Home and duty were calling...

Squeezed in some core and leg yoga sequences in the afternoon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I run like a swimmer, still.

Event comments:

KristiF continues to find ways to make playing in the Ranch challenging and punishing. I expect I'll keep registering too, I love a challenge even when I'm not too good at them ;)

Last updated: 2009-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:64:53 | 06.21 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Average
NA, I thought 25% battery would be enough for Garmin, but it turns out I though wrong. It died before I'd even gotten to Griggs Road, less than 3 miles in.
Course: 95% dirt road and single track/trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-10 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Heritage/Adventure Run 5K & 10K

2010-04-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2782702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Heritage/Adventure Run 5K & 10K
Nice race on a tough course!  Wow, I'm surprised they did the short O&B on that new trail that heads west.  To me, all of those new trails are a waste because of the ridiculous bumps every 20 feet.  I emailed the guy in charge and he said they were for erosion control, which is total .  Unfortunately, they did the same crap on the trail that heads east from the parking lot at the top of Griggs.  What a waste...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heritage/Adventure Run 5K & 10K Rss Feed