Pottstown YMCA
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 25/296
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/?
Pre-race routine:

Interesting day. Adrian got Saturday detention and it really ended up messing up my plans. I had to bring him to school at 8:00 and then we had to hunt around for the open door. So I end up missing my 8:00 cycling class and then Pottstown spring Forward 5k was at 10:00am. I did find out the Pottstown Y had a Kids ZOne so i got Matthew and brought him with me. Had to park in the street, but still had plenty of time to get regested, get my shirt, find and drop off Matt at the kidsone, run to my car and put away my stuff, hit the bathroom and head down to the start, and do a warm up.
Event warmup:

Did a 10 min jog around the Y and from the strart backwards to the finish list and down and back. Just getting warm, then to the starting line and off we went. Ron Horn wasn't there so no speech.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't do well with 5ks. I just don't seem to know how to start them off and by the time I am wound up we are done. Had a decent warm up, but as we went off, I was being passed left and right. Now it was clear that most of the folks were going way to fast and I didn't worry but maybe I should have. About a half mile in I settled into a good pace and started moving forward. Had someone come up beside me and I paced with them over the top stretch and things were going well. Hit the mile 1 marker and started thinking about the fact it seemed later than previous years and then i looked up and my buddy was gone opening up a nice gap. I got working down the back strech and was a bit pertrubed about the fact I started off too slow and lost my pacer cause I drifted off. I went hard down the back stretch and caaught a few more people and ran a good second mile 6:45 to get back on pace but I actually had someonw pass me from behind just before the turn. Did the quick section and then back up towards the Y. This section was a long gentle uphill for about a kilometer or so. Worked at trying to catch the 3 guys in front of me who may have been in my age group, did a good job catching then and passing a few more going down towards the backroad to the finish. Got quite a surprise when just before the 3 mile point a 12 year old kid in a blue sweat suit cruises past me. I was impressed and I still haven't figured out how to sprint and lost a couple spots near the end.
What would you do differently?:

Get way more aggressive and maybe do some speed work. If this were a 10K I would have been in great shape since I was just starting to feel strong at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the Y to the gym, got some food and went and got Matt. Then chased him around the Y until the award's ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a long distance triathlete and just not having the right mindset for 5ks. But 3rd place in my AG and about 22 sec faster than last year.

Event comments:

Nice race. Great for an early season getting back into the grove race. Nice facility, they had a Kids Watch available during the race (which allowed me to do the race thanks to Adrian's detention). Nice relaxed and easy race and fairly flat course. One water station but they had it on the wrong side of the road but I don't drink in a 5k anyway so no big deal. Post race was cool and i won a door prize and got my 3rd AG medal in a row. I love long races but I never place, I don't like 5Ks and I've medaled in 4 of my last 5. Go figure.

Last updated: 2010-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:38 | 03.1 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/?
Overall: 25/296
Performance: Average
Mile 1 7:05 Mile 2 13:50 (6:45) Mile 3.1 21:38 (1.11 miles 7:48- (~7:01/mile)
Course: A rectangle around the neighborhood around the Pottstown YMCA. Long back straightaway and the last miles was slightly uphill most of the way but it was flat overall. Was fairly windy but not nearly as windy as last year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-10 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k

2010-04-11 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2782738

Subject: RE: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k
Southwestmba,
Thanks for your race recaps.  I ran the Spring Forward 5K yesterday as well (with my 12 year old son... he wasn't the one that passed you).  It was my first 5K and I found your previous reports through Google... they were helpful as I prepared for the race.  Very surprisingly, I finished first in my age group... M40-44 finishing in around 20:30 or so.  I'm training for the Pittsburgh Marathon (May 2nd; also my first) and used this as part of my training.

I appreciate your help and wanted to let you know that at least one person good some good use out of your reports.

Thanks, again!

Don Mack
2010-04-11 7:08 PM

Weren't they going to post the results online? I can't find them.
2010-04-12 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
They finally posted the results on Pretzel City Sports http://pretzelcitysports.com/userfiles/file/10%20pottstown%20spring...

Great Race Don. I'll not be looking forward to moving up to your age group later this year. The race report library is great feature of this site and I'm glad to help. Good luck in Pittsburg.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k Rss Feed