General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wake Forest, North Carolina
United States
FSSeries
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 9s
Overall Rank = 36/65
Age Group = women 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Before I left home: English muffin with peanut butter, banana

Loaded up the car and drove to the event site, set up transition area, got chip, body marking.
Event warmup:

Swim in lake to acclimate and check goggles.
Swim
  • 45m 27s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first triathlon and first open water swim. I swam as expected so I'm going to say the overall swim was good because despite the fact that I was back of the pack, it was good for me. (Swim rank 60 out of 65 women)
What would you do differently?:

No 20 year hiatus from swimming. I swam my freshman year in high school and then started again last year. Also, it would be good to get in more than two open water swims before the event.

Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

I took off the top of the wetsuit as I came out of the water and got out of the bottom in the transition area. Not sure if that's the best approach or not. I wore bike gloves. 2 fig newtons and a splash of water on the way out.

Consider not wearing bike gloves. Since I was on a road bike and the course was rough, I decided to go with the gloves this time
Bike
  • 1h 29m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I had Camelbak Elixir in one of my water bottles and fig newtons and a pack of gels in my bento box. I had water in my other cage. I finished the Elixir and some of my water and had my fig newtons about one hour into the ride. My bike was making a noise which I realized was my cadence sensor. About 10 minutes into the ride I unclipped one foot and kicked the sensor to make it stop rubbing. Otherwise, no issues on the bike. I'm really glad that I was able to preview the route a few weeks ago. It helped met to know where the hills were and so forth.

Hill work. It's early in the bike season yet for me and I think that I would benefit from getting some hill work. If I did this race again, I would plan to get that started. It would be a challenge scheduling wise since I normally do hill work during the week and there is not that much light available in February and March.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Racked bike, removed helmet, gloves, changed shoes, grabbed hat, fig newtons and Gu. Ate fig newtons on the way out of the transition area and grabbe water at the .1 mile water stop. Messed with Forerunner.

Since I knew I would be BOP on the swim, I set specific time goals for myself on the bike and run and I wanted to track that while on the course.

Messed with Forerunner too much, had problems getting the display the way I wanted it.
Run
  • 57m 2s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

It was out and back and out and back. I found this difficult to race because when you passed someone going the other way you did not know if they were on lap 1 or lap 2 (ahead of you or behind you). There was a water stop .1 from the transition area and then at the turn around and then the one near the transition area had a 5k timing mat that runners crossed the second time by, then back to the turn around and then to the finish. The course is relatively hilly.

On the up side, there was good comraderie on the run. On the bike too but especially on the run.

(Run rank 34 out of 65 women)

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up my gear, went to the awards to clap for Patty who I know from the gym and Brooke who I ride with from time to time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first tri. Mostly I'd say the swim. I need a lot more time in the pool to hopefully improve my swim time.

Event comments:

Lame t-shirt. The event is called Beaverdam because the park is called Beaverdam so the t-shirt should not say Beaver Dam.

A DJ was playing throughout the event and that was nice.

Changing facilities on site (bonus points!)

I like the cow bell someone was ringing towards the end of the run!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:27 | 1760 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 60/65
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Long John
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:14 | 26.2 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 24/65
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 167 bpm Max HR: 189 bpm
Wind: Little
Course: From the event description: The bike course will leave the Beaverdam Recreational Area and proceed North on 50. The course will feature fast flats, small climbs, and rolling terrain through Wake and Granville County. (Bike rank 24 out of 65 women) About 600 climbing feet (http://www.mapmyfitness.com/ride/united-states/nc/raleigh/745123809073361872)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:02 | 06.2 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 35/65
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 170 bpm Max HR: 179 bpm
Course: From the event description: The run course will be totally contained in the Beaverdam Recreation Area. The course will be a 2 lap out and back. The run will have a rolling design with 2 aid stations. The first aid station will be at the 1st lap turnaround and the 2nd aid station will be at the out turnaround. About 180 feet of elevation change. http://www.mapmyfitness.com/run/united-states/nc/raleigh/727123808964375272 complete above look twice
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-11 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam

2010-04-12 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2783676

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam
Nice job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed