On Your Mark
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 15s
Overall Rank = 125/653
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before alarm. Showered, dressed, and loaded bike and backpack which was packed the night before. Breakfast was about half of a Denny's Grand Slam and some Gatorade AM. Enough to not be hungry, but not enough to get full.
Event warmup:

Putting on the wetsuit and hoofing it to the swim start was all the warm-up I could handle.
Swim
  • 12m 41s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I need to work on swim strength. I can swim all day in the pool and lake, but those waves and current gassed me bad. Still, my time wasn't much slower than my first tri ever last year and that was a lake swim. So, I'll consider it an improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Drink less of the Gulf.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I had not practiced getting the wetsuit off fast, but I don't think I had any undue trouble.

I might let the wetsuit strippers help next time.
Bike
  • 41m 7s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I was too conservative and probably worn out from the swim.

Trust my training more. I was afraid to push to my training speed, much less past it, and blow up on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I miscounted and started to turn down the wrong rack, but caught my mistake before it ate more than a few seconds. Also, the rack was low and it seemed to take forever to lean my bike over and re-rack it. I got my socks and shoes on quickly and grabbed the race belt and was off.

I might try re-racking my bike forward next time. I saw another bike that way and I'm sure it would save a bit of time if it is ok to do.
Run
  • 25m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried about my knees hurting and think I was too conservative, running much slower than I wanted to. They never even hurt, but I did notice a bit of soreness. Finally with about .25mile to go, I got the wheels turning to less than a 7min pace. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it might.

Again, I need to trust my training and not be so conservative. I think thoughts of doing my first Oly in 2 weeks had me holding back as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water, then some pizza, a chicken wrap, a banana, and a coke. No stretching or running or anything remotely athletic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind worrying about knees and my Oly in 2 weeks. Also, my inconsistent training - sometimes 4-8 days without doing anything. That's not going to cut it to get me as fast as I feel I can be.

Event comments:

I heard comments about not having enough lifeguards on the swim, but I didn't notice that myself. I was too focused on getting through the surf.

Last updated: 2010-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:41 | 528 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/49
Overall: 0/653
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra
Course: Rectangular course out through the current and waves, 2 lefts and back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:07 | 12.5 miles | 18.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/49
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Big bridge in the first mile of the course. Twice. I climbed it pretty well though. I think having done it 3 or 4 times in training helped. I knew when to start slowing down for the 180degree turn at the bottom. Still, I need lots more hill and leg strength training.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:33 | 03 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/49
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-11 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
Subject: Gateway to the Bay Triathlon
Feedback is welcomed and much appreciated. This was my second tri ever, so take that into consideration with your comments. What do I care? Just be honest.

Edited by RacerRik 2010-04-11 6:39 PM

2010-04-12 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2783873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
Subject: RE: Gateway to the Bay Triathlon
Hey Rik, It was good meeting you and talking with you. Good race. I'll have to take you up on that OWS practice sometime. Good luck at Lonestar.  Joe
2010-04-13 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
nice job out there.  wouldn't compare this swim to anything else. i swam saturday afternoon and it was a little crazy.  fun but crazy. i think you guys might have had a tougher swim than we did sunday.  one of the race staff told me they pulled 16 people from the water saturday. 

keep up the good work.  see ya at LS
2010-04-15 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I think that open water swimming is SO different - and having LOTS of experience in open water helps.  If you have access easily - I would try to get in as much open water as you can.  Find someone that can "babysit" you - my mom comes and reads a book while I swim.  Go out when it's choppy, when it's calm, early in the morning, in the afternoon - try to encounter all possible scenarios... Plus it's salt water right? That's AWESOME! I love swimming in salt water!

I always err on the side of caution - so I would have done what you did.  Especially with the trouble you've had recently with your knees.  You know now that you could go a little harder - so that's what you need to try for the next sprint.  No matter what happens in your Oly - it will be a PR!

More training will help.  More miles.  The transitions come with time ... and you can practice those as well.  I'm impressed they had strippers at a sprint ... we didn't even have them at Steelhead! 
2010-04-15 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

Nice job rik! that swim was very difficult...i havent practiced any OWS's since my last race last october and it showed on sat.

i am doing the Oly(my 1st) in galveston and after saturday i was really worried about the swim but i hear that it is not near that bad.....

your bike and run #'s are very respectable and they will keep getting better....

im with you man.... this was only my 3rd tri and i learned something from every one of them..great job for your 2nd!

Swim,Bike,Run,Eat,Sleep,Repeat...........................

Good Luk to you on your next one!

Jb 

2010-04-15 1:06 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great job rik. Good luck at LS! Keep on Tri'n!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway to the Bay Triathlon Rss Feed