Mellew Productions
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 52s
Overall Rank = 191/2076
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/155
Pre-race routine:

Left house at 6am and drove the long way to downtown Dallas to avoid all the highway closures due to the Texas Stadium implosion. arrived one hour early and walked through the fairgrounds to the start. at 15 min prior to start, I took a Gu and did a quarter mile warm up run and some strides. Got into the mid-back of the pack as I was planning on this being just a steady training run today.
Event warmup:

quarter mile jog and some high knee strides. Gu at 15 min prior to start. No water as in previous races...and thus no last minute potty stops!
Run
  • 1h 48m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

mostly good roads. Small crowd so it was easy to maneuver during the run. LOTS of Dallas police at all major intersections. enthusiastic water stop volunteers. I've read a lot of knocks on this race in different online reviews but I really liked this event. it is my second time here and I think it is certainly going the right way.
What would you do differently?:

absolutely nothing!!
Post race
Warm down:

egg and cheese burritos and a beer...it is a tradition!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

approached this as a training run since I am in the middle of training for TexasMan. wanted to run a 9min/mile pace and just enjoy the time. however, I was feeling so good that by mile 4 I was hitting a pace of 7:45!! so, I decided to hit it hard and go for he PR. continued 8min pace and didn't start to really hit the wall until about mile 11. Had to really dig for the final 2 miles but I finished with a new PR by almost 12 minutes!!!!

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/155
Overall: 191/2076
Performance: Good
Miles 3-13 HR was in zone 5!!
Course: Starts in Fairpark on the State Fair Grounds...neat, historic place to start. BUT then the first 2 miles are through the 'hood! NOT the most scenic part of Dallas! However, at about mile 4 the half marathon course splits off and goes on a hike and bike trail through the woods and then along the east shore of Whiterock lake. At mile 6 the course leaves the lake and moves through the "old money" neighborhoods. BEAUTIFUL houses and hills. Then back into downtown near Deep Ellum. Again, NOT the prettiest part of town. Final half mile finishes back on the State Fair Grounds. Good water stop placement. relatively few spectators.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes