General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Locos Duathlon and 1 Mile Kids Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Locos Duathlon and 1 Mile Kids Run - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Memphis, Tennessee
United States
Los Locos Triathlon Team / Start 2 Finish
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 50s
Overall Rank = 102/200
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:40 am. I ate a bowl of oatmeal with sliced banana and wheat germ and drank a glass of OJ. Loaded my bike and gear and was out the door at 6:30 for the 30 min. drive to the race site. After arriving at the Lakeland Mall parking lot, I set up my transition area, picked up my race chip, went through body marking, made a pit stop at the porta potty and I was ready for warm up.
Event warmup:

I biked a couple of easy miles to check gearing, etc. and did a little 1 mile pickup run.
Run
  • 13m 38s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt slow getting off the blocks this morning, not fully warmed up when the race started. I held back a little during this run segment. The last time I did this race, I ran too hard during the first run and paid for it during the 2nd run.
What would you do differently?:

Take more time to warm up for the run and do a few striders to get my speed up before race start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I took too much time in T1 fumbling with my running shoes. I had speed laces, but still had trouble getting my shoes smoothly off my feet. I had planned on wearing sunglasses for the bike, but they fogged up immediately when I put them on, so I ended up leaving them at T1. I stopped on my bike after crossing the mount line to adjust my race belt, moving the bib from my front to back - more wasted time. I had not done any transition practice and it showed.

More transition practice. I Lost a lot of time in transition that could have been better with practice.
Bike
  • 49m 44s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I haven't done much bike training in recent months and I felt it. I thought the ride was very challenging. I didn't feel like my legs had much power for the race. I really need to focus more of my training on improving my race bike time.

More time on the saddle, more hill work, more intervals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Too much time fumbling in T2. I had speed laces, but still had trouble getting my shoes smoothly on my feet. I was a little shaken up and bleeding from my right knee and the tip of my left index finger, after falling at the dismount line when I attempted a flying dismount but forgot to take my feet out of my shoes beforehand - made for a spectacle at the dismount line. The volunteers were quick to pick my bike and me up so that I could keep moving. Crazy thing about this race - I went down last year on the bike while making the 2nd of 2 U-turns on the course. When I made it through both U-turns with the rubber side down and helmet side up, I thought I was home free...maybe next year.

Remember to take my feet out of my shoes before attempting a flying dismount from the bike. Some fuzzy thinking out there today.
Run
  • 14m 44s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt better on Run 2 than I did on Run 1. It felt good to be off the bike and back to my strength. This run segment was my favorite segment of the race. I felt like I was moving very well, despite a little blood running from down my leg from my right knee to the top of my sock from the mishap on the dismount line at T2.

Move through T2 quicker.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down today. I wanted to get back home to shower and clean up the road rash on my knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I believe that more time on the bike would have been helpful.

Event comments:

Los Locos Triathlon Team does a great job with this event. Great volunteer support throughout the race. This is a fun duathlon. I like the new race date at the beginning of the tri season. Ideal race conditions this morning, unseasonably cool weather, sunny skies and no wind during the race. I thought this Du lived up to its billing as "the perfect tune-up for your triathlon season." The race exploited my weaknesses on the bike and making efficient transitions. I left this race motivated to do more work on the bike and more transition practice between now and my next tri - Memphis in May Oly. One of my big goals the next time that I do this race is to finish the bike segment without a mishap.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:38 | 02 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
Avg. HR 162 bpm Max. HR 171 bpm, Mi. 1 - 7:04, Mi. 2 - 7:13
Course: Mile 1 was an out and back downhill/uphill, Mile 2 was a flat loop around the perimeter of the factory outlet mall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:16
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:49:44 | 15 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/15
Performance: Below average
Avg. HR - 154 bpm, Max HR - 165 bpm Avg. Power - 162 Watts
Wind: None
Course: Rolling rural course with light vehicle traffic. Two U turns on the course - had to slow to almost a complete stop to make the U-turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:14:44 | 02 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Performance: Good
Avg. HR - 164 bpm, Max HR - 174 bpm. Mi. 1 - 7:40, Mi. 2 - 7:19.
Course: The course for the second 2 mile run was a repeat of the first 2 mile segment. Only difference was instead of going to T2, the participants followed the cones across the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-11 9:32 PM

User image

Germantown, TN
Subject: Los Locos Duathlon and 1 Mile Kids Run

2010-04-12 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2784208

User image

Regular
memphis
Subject: RE: Los Locos Duathlon and 1 Mile Kids Run
well done bill, beautiful day for a race!
2010-04-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2784208

Nice job! I hope the road rash cleaned up okay?
2010-04-12 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2786417

User image

Germantown, TN
Thanks!  Still applying Neosporin to the road rash.  It doesn't look like I'll be swimming for the next couple of days...

I'm relieved that the bike is okay Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Locos Duathlon and 1 Mile Kids Run Rss Feed