General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to match strength & core training into endurance training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-12 2:33 AM

Subject: How to match strength & core training into endurance training
My strength training involves upper and lower body work and core training. I know roughly what kind of strength & core training I should be doing after reading on here, previous PT and physio sessions and other forums but I don't know how to match the endurance training with the weights and core. ie do strength training and then do the hills bike rides or do Pilates and then do hill bike rides? I'm following a silver BT beginner half plan.

I'd like to do 2-3 core and 2-3 weight sessions (upper and/ or lower body) a week. I realise core can come into weight sessions as well but I am referring to Pilates type training.

Some days I wold be doing the strength/core training first and then the endurance work and other days I could split the sessions so AM may be strength training and PM would be endurance.

The sessions are all as follows:

1) LSR
2) Running - intervals
3) Running hills
4) Endurance ride (Z1/Z2)
5) High RPM spin
6) Hill training on bike
7) Swim endurance
8) Swim drills (technique)
9) Swim speed

Any hints most appreciated!

Thanks

2010-04-12 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2784412

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: RE: How to match strength & core training into endurance training
I have also been experimenting with organizing and balancing the two effectively.

So far I discovered a decent system that works well with muscle building, soreness and recovery. I combine my speed training days with leg strengthening. In fact, morning split squats seem to prime my legs for evening runs.

Same for swimming. For instance, this morning I followed my swim drills up with some back and shoulder work. So far this is working great.

Core can be mixed in these session, or in between these session, based on your preference. Intense or endurance bike sessions are good days for core work. However, I typically keep endurance sessions by themselves, with lots of stretching.

Keep experimenting. My goal is avoiding the annoyance of being really sore during primary training sessions, as well as ensuring adequate recovery. I hope my perspective has helped a little.
2010-04-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2784412

Thanks Taffle. Good things to take on  board.

2010-04-15 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2792230

User image

Champion
it totally depends on your goals with lifting, and with triathlon/endurance workouts.

2010-04-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2792230

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Lara C - 2010-04-14 4:30 PM Thanks Taffle. Good things to take on  board.

My pleasure Lara. In fact, I was thinking about your situation yesterday when the rain and cold blew in - changing my cycling plans to some indoor training.

I did running hills/speedwork in the early AM, and was planning to ride in the evening. Instead I did  a session of intense core and some full body strength training on the TRX. 

The combination was amazing. I felt like I could run effotlessly afterward and this morning (next day), my legs felt so prime. Now I am going long. Given I didn't use weights, I reinforce the point: combining running days with running muscle focused strength training works great. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to match strength & core training into endurance training Rss Feed