United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 50s
Overall Rank = 6/350
Age Group = Elite
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, ate my normal bowl of cereal and got things packed in the car and we headed out to the race at 4:45.
Event warmup:

Me and Ritter did around a 20minute jog with 4 short pick ups. Felt pretty good, I had taken a 5 hour energy drink from Brad(rommate) while we were walking our bikes in. I've been going through a bit of a insomnia phase the past couple weeks and was looking for a little pick up. I think it helped!
Swim
  • 25m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually 'swam' well but otherwise a horrible swim! Does that make sense? lol. I just sighted off the shore but the current was pushing us the wrong way and I got way out right and I never saw a single buoy! Half way through this endless swim someone slapped my feet, I just thought to my self, sorry whoever you are I'm leading you no where good! It ended up being my friend Shannon, I got crap for it after the race! Still goes down as a cool swim, not too often do you get taken out 1 mile into open water dropped off and have to swim ashore!
What would you do differently?:

I dunno... take a better line? It seems pretty much everyone had trouble though. Only a few guys I know were pretty close to normnal. I think everyone was at least 2 minutes off, I felt like I swam 4-5minutes more than I should of done
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Slow, but what can you do.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I expected to be off a bit on the bike, just haven't been riding well since I went to Colorado last month. Though I thought I'd be a minute faster still. :) Besides a little barf after taking a gu that Ritter gave me, not much went on here.

Hopefully things are going better by Galveston here, it's more of a goal anyhow, this was just a warm up for that. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I came in right with DJ Snyder and he went to the second rack and I thought he was on the first rack with me, so that threw me off and then I wasn't sure if I was on the right rack or not. Finally racked my bike and was a little slow getting going, but considering the multple errors I made I was OK.
Run
  • 38m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering 3 weeks ago 7 minute pace hurt and I was doing my speed work slower than I've done it in a couple years at least, this run went rather well. It did take a while to get going. First mile wasn't too bad but miles 2 and 3 my right quad was starting to go and were rather slow. After a couple cups of gatorade it seemed to get under control. Then James Bales(he won) comes by on his 2nd loop of the 1.5 mile loop or so we had to do twice. He was running good, we exchanged a few words and his pace picked me up and I ran really good the 2nd half of the run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really went too bad.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a 2 mile run with Lisa and Shannon, just nice and slow! Not as cool as running with Matty Reed like Ritter did, but not so bad. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries, surgery and first race of the season! Not much as gone right the first qtr of this year.

Last updated: 2010-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:02 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Below average
Suit: Westuit
Course: Straight shot to shore from out in the bay.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:30 | 24.85 miles | 23.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/350
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:38:26 | 06.2 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 7/350
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-12 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Gateway To the Bay Triathlon

2010-04-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2785154

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Gateway To the Bay Triathlon
nice job man.  always good to see you out there. lots of fun saturday afternoon!
2010-04-12 11:24 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

I hope your 10k swim has better conditions.  Great job

BTW I had problems sleeping and melatonin has given me the best sleep ever with no fuzzy feel the next day

2010-04-12 3:39 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great race Stephen! Looking forward to seeing you absolutely crush the Oly in Galveston in the coming weeks!
2010-04-12 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great race report and great race!  I went all Florida State in the swim as well - wide right! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway To the Bay Triathlon Rss Feed