Black Butte Triathlon Series
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 09m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Usual breakfast routine, up at 4:00 AM, left the house by 5:00.
Event warmup:

Got in the water pretty early, knowing it would be really cold. 6 minutes before the gun was to go off, I was readjusting the strap on my goggles, and the damned strap broke. That was the biggest "OH SH##@T" moment I have experienced in a race. I knew I had another pair at the transition, so I sprinted the 100 yards or so up the hill, dug them out of the bottom of my pack, then sprinted back. Got there just as the announcer was counting down from 10. So much for "warming up". Now I was completely out of breath, and my face hadn't even hit the water yet....
Swim
  • 22m 56s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Raining, and really cold water. I took off, with a position to deep side of the lake. First 50 yards or so went well, till I realized I was completely out of breath. Side stroked for a bit, tried swimming again, and 10 strokes later completely out of breath. About this time I took two or three big swallows of water trying to breath, and everything really started to go downhill.
What would you do differently?:

Not have the goggle strap break, which made me do a 200 yard sprint, which kept me from being able to warm up, which caused my heart rate to spike and the wheels to fall off the swimming bus...
Transition 1
  • 06m 44s
Comments:

It was pouring rain - I had secured all my clothes under a garbage bag, so I had to shuffle to find everything. I was pretty cold at this point, and moving fast just wasn't in the cards. I took my time, tried not to forget anything important, and put dry clothes on, along with arm warmers and a water resistant jacket.

This was OK - no way I could have sped this up, given the amount of clothes I put on.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 57s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so glad to be out of that damned cold water - the bike was nice change. Even thought it was pouring down rain, at least I had relatively dry clothes. My stomach was pretty messed up from swallowing lake water, so I just sipped a little water from my aero unit. About 5 miles in I choked down a gel - but it was a real struggle to keep it down. Finally about towards the end of the bike my stomach calmed down a bit.

Not much - the bike went pretty well, considering I didn't push hard - the last thing I wanted to do was crash.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Not really too much of a hurry here - I knew I was at the back of the pack, so why bust my butt.....
I took some extra time, put on dry socks, and stripped off some of the extra clothes from the bike.

Not much. Maybe not have shuffled all my clothes around in T-1???
Run
  • 37m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I take off up this grassy slope - thinking this is pretty cool - then about 100 feet later we go off-road, onto the trail that they built specifically for this event. This trail, mind you, did not exist a few weeks ago... And it had been raining all morning..... So, a brand new trail, not really well compacted, plus a couple of hours of rain = MUD SHOES!!! Probably had at least an two inches of mud on the bottom of my shoes, for most of the run. Initially I focused on just keeping moving, and not walking.... But then the footing got really slippery, and I walked thru that area, then it went uphill, so I walked thru that, then my motivation pretty much went out the window, so I walked whenever I wanted to. Spent a lot of time scraping my shoes off, trying to get some of the mud off.

Maybe train a little bit? Maybe pick an event that doesn't have rain in the picture??
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the transition area, packed up my stuff, put on some dry clothes and headed out. My wife and little white dog were there in the rain the whole time, they were drenched, and ready to go. The cutest little boy handed me a water bottle, and asked me for my chip. I took a swig of the bottle and spit it back out - without a doubt, the worst tasting water I have ever tasted!!!

So, I dump it out, my wife takes it over the the "Fluid" booth, fills it up. I take a swig of that, and nearly puke. I've never actually tasted urine, but I'm SURE that "FLUID" is essentially the same thing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Almost no training.
2. Broken goggle strap
3. Rain
4. Rain
5. Rain

Event comments:

Race has lots of potential. The Director did a great job, putting on a safe race in horrible conditions.

By the way, looked at the results today - and they show me as DNF!!! Not quite sure what that is about, I guess that is a perfect way to top off an imperfect race day effort. Sent the Director an email, it will be interesting to see if he can "fix" the results based on my watch times....

Last updated: 2010-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:56 | 800 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Promotion Full
Course: Down, out and back, at Black Butte Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:00:57 | 15 miles | 14.77 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course had a lot more hills than I anticipated. No huge climbs, just pretty constant rollers, 50-200 feet vertical. Did I mention it was raining??? Watched a few people find out the hard way that brakes do not work very well wet....
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:39 | 03.1 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out across a brand new dirt trail, custom built last month by the Corp of Engineers just for this run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes