General Discussion Race Reports! » Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Badgerland Strider
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

PB sandwich, banana, 25 oz of water. Decent parking spot.
Event warmup:

Ran to bib pick up, talked to Nicole and Dave, ran a little more.
Run
  • 2h 14m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Started too far back, caught in a lot of slower runners. Moved yo a clear spot by mile 1. Felt o.k. and picked it up a bit around mile 4. Had to navigate some large puddles and muddy areas but no big deal. Did see one woman come soooo close to slipping in the mud. I still can't believe that she caught herself and didn't fall. Very impressive.

I made the turnaround in decent time but about 2 minutes behind my desired pace. About mile 8 I started to lose it mentally. My pace was slowing and the realization that my goal was unattainable really messed with my head. I trudged on and mixed in a bit of walking her and there. Finally got to the finish, saw Dave and Nicole. Best part of the race was watching a friend finish her first-ever half marathon. She has a huge smile on her face.
What would you do differently?:

DTFU.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to many freinds, tried to wind down. My head was spinning a bit but eventually it went away. Had to get moving as to not miss the Blessing of the Burro.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had a bad chest cold for the better part of March. Training suffered. Mental stress due to the lack of a job is starting to get to me too.

Event comments:

Striders events are minimalistic. This does help to keep the cost down ($10). Two more water stations might help. Next year I'll bring the Fuel Belt.

Last updated: 2010-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:05 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along paved path. Hilly course, moreso than anticipated. Wind in my face the whole time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-13 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon

2010-04-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2788200

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon

Glad to see you are thinking positively about this event and all that has gone on over the last month or so with you!!!  the start was wicked with all those people there, easy to get caught up in.

GREAT job on DTFUing and gettin it done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon Rss Feed