General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Smith Mountain Lake sprint tri on May 1st? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-15 12:13 PM

User image

New user

Virginia Beach
Subject: Anyone doing the Smith Mountain Lake sprint tri on May 1st?
Just wondering if anyone was doing the Smith Mtn Lake sprint tri??? It's my first one and thought anyone who has been there/done that might have some helpful insite.

Thanks

2010-04-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2794071

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Smith Mountain Lake sprint tri on May 1st?

Jason,

I have heard that Smith Mtn Lake is a great one to do and wish you much success. If you search the BT site under races or the forums under race reports you should be albe to find info from previous races. Let me know if you are interested in doing any races in the Richmond area. I know those pretty well.

2010-04-16 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2794071

User image

Regular
SW VA
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Smith Mountain Lake sprint tri on May 1st?
Jason, I have done the race and think it's a great venue.  The water will be in the low 60's (hopefully) slight run up the beach to transition then a small hill to negotiate on the bike start (personally I run to the top of the hill then mount the bike) make sure to take a look at that part of the transition area to be ready for it and if you choose to start of the bottom of the hill just make sure your bike is in the correct gear.  The course has some hills... if you're from the beach area they may take you a bit by surprise if you are not used to riding and running inclines.  I think the course is more rolling and don't think they are too steep (my opinion but I think everyone's opinion of a hill is relative to what they are used to training on)  There is a rather long hill on the way back into the park that I am not a fan of... it's not super steep, but legs think it is and my legs tend to think it is long.  The run has some hills but again it all relative the one I don't like is long hill at the end of the course leading back into the parking lot.  The hill itself isn't bad at all it's just  that it is at the end of the race.

OK, so there is my $0.10 on the race.  Good luck!  and feel free to ask any question you may have.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Smith Mountain Lake sprint tri on May 1st? Rss Feed