General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Roanoke Valley – Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri Roanoke Valley – Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 52s
Overall Rank = 24/63
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

This was my first race ever. I had intentions of waking up at 0500 to start moving around and getting up to the rec center by 6 so I could get body marked and down to the transition area. I wanted to be down there as soon as possible because I wanted to see how other people were setting things up. It turns out the way I had my things set up was pretty much the exact same way most other people had their things set up as well.
Event warmup:

Gave myself a nice little jog of about a 1/2 mile at a moderate pace. I forgot my towel so I didn't wanna hop in the pool and then sit outside in the wind all wet as we went through the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 04m 35s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man! Pool swims are chaotic. I definitely submitted a WAY too conservative time (5:10). I caught the guy who started 15" before me within the first 125 yds. I didn't have the goggles I wanted to race in but I made due with my backups. The swim was pretty well organized but you could tell people submitted erroneous times.
What would you do differently?:

Submit a less conservative estimate of my swim time is definitely the first thing I would do. Be more aggressive and pass people sooner. I could've given it a little more throttle in the pool instead of just riding this one guys heels for a while.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I didn't realize how winded I would be running from the pool to my bike. I knew it was going to suck but I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. I survived and learned a valuable lesson too: Cycling jerseys are not meant to be put on while you're wet. My transition time sucked because I struggled for a solid 15-20 seconds trying to pull my cycling jersey down.

Bike without a shirt or wear a tri-suit. Practice beforehand.
Bike
  • 48m 34s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills killed me. They weren't that steep but they seemingly lasted forever especially the one that led up to the turnaround. I felt really comfortable the entire ride as far as my tri-shorts were concerned. It was the first time I'd ever worn them and they definitely performed well. The course road exactly as I thought it would. It was just right. If I had trained better, I could have performed better.

Train more. I've got to start getting in more mileage on the bike. Hill work is DEFINITELY in the VERY near future.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

This went pretty close to how I envisioned it. I was maybe 200m out when I took my first foot out and had the 2nd shoe off maybe 35m from the mount/dismount point. I got to the rack, put the bike up, ripped the helmet off (don't even remember where I put it), slipped on my shoes, and I was off.

Not too much. I was really happy with this considering that I had never even practiced it.
Run
  • 25m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I've got no one to blame for this but myself. I've not prepared myself AT ALL to compete when it comes to my run and it's all to blame on my pride. Being that I've been a runner all of my life, I figured I would be able to muscle out a solid run. Yep, I was horribly wrong. It took me the first mile to even get my legs underneath me good.

I WILL run more. I'm going to start putting in some serious mileage and making sure that the one discipline that should be my strongest, remains as such.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a brief jog but definitely didn't warm-down the way I should have. C'est la vie!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of training consistency proved to be my greatest inhibiting factor.

Event comments:

For this to be a small local race, it greatly exceeded my expectations. Everything was on time and all of the staff and volunteers along the course really helped make things go smoothly.

Last updated: 2010-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:35 | 300 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 13/63
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:34 | 14.8 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 32/63
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. It was sort hilly and slightly uphill on the way out. The return ride was easily 2-3 minutes (at least) faster. I enjoyed this course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:26 | 03.11 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 21/63
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back but with a couple of good sized hills on it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-18 12:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina
Subject: Tri Roanoke Valley – Sprint Triathlon

2010-04-18 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2799064

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Tri Roanoke Valley – Sprint Triathlon
Yeszir

Great job getting that 1st one behind you, and in impressive fashion no less.
I wish I could not be at full throttle and having to pass people in the swim to come up with your time.
Couple more rides like we did out at White Lake and you are going to be good to go.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Roanoke Valley – Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed