Valley Force National Park
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 21s
Overall Rank = 163/1181
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/109
Pre-race routine:

Got to the Convention Center and sat in the car a little bit then got on a bus to the park. Hit the bathroom and put on my number and then walked up to the start. once there I broke into a easy trot and went a bit under a mile out and then back. Nice and easy to warm up, then hit the potta potties again and then did some stretching but still had to wait around for 8-10 min. Seeded myself a bit conservatively, back side of the 7 min mile pace area.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging and some stretching. Big field so did have to find a spot early, so did stand around the last 10 min or so before the race.
Run
  • 36m 21s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I seeded myself at the back of the 7 min mile group but probably should have been further up. They started the race and were counting down to start and lost the PA system at 3, and there certainly was a hesitation at the start. THe first mile was very crowded and I held back and just let in open up instead of weaving. The first mile is a gentle uphill most of the way and then a downhill near the loop around the Arch. By the arch it finally opened up enough to start opening up. The first mile was 7:36 gun time so about 7:20 chip time. The second mile is mostly up hill and steepens up going up to the monument before going back dowhnhill the other side to the two mile mark. Felt good worked my way forward and pushed up that hill but had so folks pass me at the top but I worked over the top and rolled downhill well. Into the third mile the next good hill was a bit more of a struggle than I expected but I bore down, put my head down and worked thru it and again coming down hill I worked that section well. Got to the 3 mile mark at 22:05 gun time and got a bit demotivated but had to gather myself together and get my head back in it. We turned onto Rt 29 and did the quick up and down and then the long hill past Washington's Chapal. I was struggling but held it together, but last year this is where I really put the effort down and made a lot of headway. Not the case this year. No time at the 4 mile mark but I worked the top flat an then to the big downhill to the entrance to the lower lot and caught up and passed a clump of people and then worked into the final hill steepest there at the bottom, which I got thru but again, didn't have the same umph at last year and lost a few spots near the end. Then a couple turn and a quick straight to the finish. 36:38 Gun time and 36:21 chip time. 15 second slower than last year and most of it was the difference in the first mile. Pretty constistant 7:15s over the last 2 miles despite the struggles so not bad.
What would you do differently?:

Start a bit further forward and take the first two mile a bit more aggressively and bear down an attack those hill especially at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the resfreshments, and ran into Sam and Phil from work. Got some yougut, fruit, a bagel ,and a square of cold pizza, then walked to the bus and drove back to the parking lot and back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mindset. Just wasn't aggressive enough. Still felt too fresh afterwards.

Event comments:

5th year of the race and my 3rd time. Love this race. Great park (I get to run here frequently since I work in KOP), good organization, lots of support, TV trucks and Cicelly Tyson the Channel 6 weather person was 4th overall female (dusted me by 5 minutes). They shuttle you to and from the park which limits traffic effectively, and cool awards. Only downside is the roads are pretty narrow and are packed with nearly 1200 runners which can make things frustrating early on. However, I still highly recommend this race.

Last updated: 2010-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:21 | 05 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/109
Overall: 163/1181
Performance: Average
Didn't bring my watch, so no splits.
Course: THis is a great course. It is the loop around the park, past Log City around the Mason's Arch, up the Monument Hill, down towards the rt 29, past Washington's Chapel and the Mini Washington Monument. COnstant rolling hills and a few good hills at mile 2, 2.5, and 4.5. Great course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes