Canada
43F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 37m 48s
Overall Rank = 432/2092
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 54/142
Pre-race routine:

As usual, woke up 3 hours before the start, had breakfast, took a shower, packed my sh!t and went to the site. Met Mathieu (a fastie duathlete in my AG that smokes me by a gazillion minutes on a sprint) just as I arrived. I convinced him to do the Peterborough HIM Du... bad move... I just put myself out of a potential AG podium. Very smart! ;)
Event warmup:

I met Krystyna at the bag check and we went for a small warm up, no more than one k I'd say. At that point, it wasn't raining yet and I thought I was overdressed but it was too late to change anything (thank God!). 5 min from the start I REALLY wanted some water and I was getting kind of desperate. Luckily I found some juice. Then I headed to the start, wished Krystyna good luck and found a spot with people I thought would run about the same speed as me.
Run
  • 1h 37m 48s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 38s  min/km
Comments:

I started fairly fast, as usual, and closed the first k in 4:30. Then I tried to settle at about 4:40 to evaluate how things felt and see if that would be my pace for the day. It looks like it was.

As the rain picked up, I went easily through the first 5-6k. There was almost no wind so it felt ok. At about 6k the arch of my right foot became tight and scared me but it settled fairly quickly. At that point (until about the 12k mark) people started passing me... one, another, a third, a fourth and so on. It was hard to stick to my own race! I guess they were to slow starters or the fasties that started at the back of the pack. I almost drowned myself with a water cup at an aid station (that why I'm such a great swimmer!).

I started feeling cold at about 14k and feared my calves would stiffen so much that it would slow me down. 5k from the finish, I started feeling strong, cadence was fast and I truly felt like I was an efficient runner (that was a first). I started reeling in people and did so until ~19.5k. at which point we had a decent headwind and the engine was deep in the red zone. The home stretch was a struggle but I was damn happy!!

To finish the story, Mathieu, the fastie, was disapointed with a 1:19:xx time... I'm not there yet! :P
What would you do differently?:

Wear arm warmers. That is all.
Post race
Warm down:

Essentially nothing but eat and drink water. I stretched when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the combination of rain, cold and wind but I'm happy about the race.

Last updated: 2009-11-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:48 | 21.1 kms | 04m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 432/142
Overall: 54/2092
Performance: Good
Course: Parc Jean-Drapeau. Mostly flat with 2-3 tiny hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-18 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Banque Scotia 21k de Montreal

2010-04-19 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2799924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Banque Scotia 21k de Montreal
You beat me by 20 minutes, but your friend/arch-nemesis beat you by 20 minutes. All's fair in run and war!! 

Seriously, though, that was a SICK race you had.  
2010-04-20 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2802791

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Banque Scotia 21k de Montreal
Good job man!!

Dammit I wish I could be as fast as you, maybe one day  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Banque Scotia 21k de Montreal Rss Feed