View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Total Time = 1h 42m 23s
Overall Rank = 87/808
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/51
Pre-race routine:

The day before I rode the IMKS 70.3 bike course with a training group. After being done with the ride and checking into my hotel, I was concerned about how my legs would react for the half-mary. I decided to ride my bike to a bike store a few miles away. I made sure it was a light pace. After getting back, I walked to a grocery store and purchased a sandwich for lunch. I then chilled in the hot tub.

After my wife got into town, we met a couple of friends at the local Old Chicago. I ate a delicious chicken wrap and drank three beers. After dinner, we went back to the hotel and I got my race stuff ready and then bed time. I didn't sleep well (I never do in hotels or before races).

Next morning, ate a few bowls of Cheerios and drank OJ. When leaving for the race, I grabbed coffee to nurse before the race.
Event warmup:

Drank coffee, went on a few walks, talked to a few people (including Cara and Von), and did my stretches.
Run
  • 1h 42m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

First 4 miles felt better than I expected. The beginning of the course was very scenic. The course was challenging with the hills (especially at mile 10) and very spectactor friendly. At approx. mile 4, I saw my wife and daughter. I had to get off the course and kiss Izzy.

There were a couple miles within the Clinton Lake area that was mentally tough (very few spectators). The course came within a block of my buddy Matt's house.

The hill at mile 10 absolutely sucked. Didn't I talk about this hill already? After the race I drove Dina up the hill and she was poking fun at the full marathoners we saw "walking" up it.

Anyway, the spectators were awesome and encouraging. The volunteers were great and supportive. The police department did an excellent job controlling traffic and also motivating us (I even saw an officer taking pictures). The race was well marked and the aid stations were every two miles.

PRed on this race (definately a God thing). Surprised me considering I rode my bike 56 miles the day before and didn't feel my nutrition was correct for the previous two days.

Music choices for the race:
Bride-Jesus Experience
Deliverance-What a Joke
Living Sacrifice-Reborn
What would you do differently?:

Nutrition was good for the week, except for the last two days. I'd say eat correctly all week.

I cant say not ride 56 miles on the bike, but I planned it that way to see where I was.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some carbs from the tables, looked for my wife and daughter, and watched some people come in. Should've walked more. I'm paying for it tonight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and the bike ride from the previous day.

Event comments:

Very good race.

Highlights:

Volunteers
Challenging
Well Marked
Spectator Friendly

I did have one issue, the results page put another name to my bib number and time. Now my wife is calling me Shannon. I e-mailed them and already recieved a response that they will correct it tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind doing this race again.

Last updated: 2010-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:23 | 13.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/51
Overall: 87/808
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly course through the KU campus and out toward Clinton Lake. Turned around and followed Clinton Parkway back to the Shrenk Sports Complex on campus.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-18 10:41 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Kansas Marathon and Half Marathon

2010-04-19 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2800412

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Kansas Marathon and Half Marathon

Nice job, smokin fast! You probably need a new set of running shoes after burning the soles off that pair.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed