Set-up, Inc
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 11s
Overall Rank = 28/145
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 5/27
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5:00, took a quick shower and ate an orange and some blueberries with Greek yogurt. I finished loading the car and left at a few minutes after 6:00. I drank a cup of coffee on the way down. We arrived around 7:40. I hit the porta-pottie and then got in the line to get my number. I was very grateful that they opened PPU early, so I avoided the major crowd. I ate a bowl of steel cut oats and a hard-boiled egg at 8:00. Then I set up my transition area, visited the porta-pottie, and started my warm-up. After warming up, I put on sunscreen and my wetsuit, ate a banana, and headed to the start for the pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

I walked 5+ minutes and then did 2 min. easy jog, 1' walk, 2' jog, 1' walk, 5' jog until I reached a full 15'. Then I walked a minute and did 3X accelerations w/walk in between.
Swim
  • 31m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the roughest water that I have encountered in a triathlon. I made the mistake of starting in the middle of the pack. The first few hundred yards were really tough. I was bumping into people no matter which way I went, and I got huge mouthfuls of water when waves went over me. I stopped to get myself together several times before I finally started to relax and found a rhythm. I think my navigation was a little better than usual. There were some smoother areas and some areas where the waves were pretty tough but I felt okay from the first turn on.
What would you do differently?:

I should have started a bit to the back or the outside so that I could have some more space until I found my rhythm. I also just need more open water experience in all different conditions.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

The only thing that slowed me down here was getting my wetsuit off. I got the top off before I got to my bike, but I was pretty shaky after the swim and I really struggled to keep my balance and get the wetsuit off of my lower legs. I was quick with my helmet and glasses and had a good run out with my bike. Ranked 32/145 women and 6/27 AG for T1.

It had been a while since I had worn my wetsuit, so I probably should have practiced getting in on and off. I also forgot to use body glide, so I would use that liberally on my feet next time.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I took a gel in the first 10 min., and at about the same spot on the second loop. I also drank a bottle w/12oz. of cherry juice, 2T of lemon juice, a scant .5t of salt and the rest water. I focused on trying to keep my cadence up the whole time even when it meant shifting down more than I normally would. Because things got so crowded on the second loop, it was difficult to avoid drafting at times. I found myself riding up on someone passing another cyclist, and needing to pass both of them. Sometimes this was easier than others. There were also big packs at times, especially at the end of the first loop going past the start area. I was pretty aggressive in all of these cases trying to ride through them instead of backing off until things broke up.

I was really happy with my bike effort. I think just more training to increase my strength and endurance will help me to continue to improve.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I was very happy with this transition. The only problem was that I left the Garmin on the bike and ran away a few steps before I remembered and went back to get it. I also forgot to hit the lap button, so I didn't really record very useful information with it. I ranked 4th of women and 2nd of AG for T2.

Remember to hit the lap button and grab the Garmin when I rack my bike.
Run
  • 50m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

In the first 10 min. of the run, I started to experience bad stomach cramps. I walked for a minute to try to get my breathing under control and to get rid of the cramps. They did subside and then I found a good rhythm. I felt strong on the uphills and tried to increase my cadence to take advantage of the downhills. On the second loop, I felt really strong and I was able to increase my pace for the last leg. I never felt that I needed to walk after the cramp went away. My effort felt sustainably hard the whole time. I did not use the gel that I took with me for fear of more tummy trouble, but I did drink a fair amount of water. I was REALLY happy with how this run went.

I need to keep experimenting with nutrition to avoid the cramping. I wonder if I might have been able to push my pace a little more based on the fact that my HR data seemed a little low. (This may have been appropriate given the length of the total race, though.) I will continue to include more tempo work in my training and perhaps some speed work once I am solidly past the sciatic nerve pain.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a little and drank water. Then I got some pasta and a roll but I was only able to eat a few bites. I ate a baggie of trail mix. Then I changed clothes and got my stuff out of transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think at this point, a fancier bike would make a big difference. I also need to gain more confidence in choppy water. I need to keep building bike strength and running speed. I felt like this was the best race I could have had today.

Event comments:

SetUpEvents does a really consistent job and events are always well run and well attended. I also love this particular venue as the course is beautiful and the rolling hills provide some challenge, but it is a great place to start the season. The only food available after the race was pasta and bread. I'd love to see them put on a little more of a post-race event with a little more variety. Nonetheless, the race itself was awesome and I will look forward to doing it again.

Last updated: 2009-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 56/145
Performance: Average
All overall rankings given here are gender rankings.
Suit: full wet suit
Course: triangle shaped course in Lake Anna
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:31 | 24.85 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/27
Overall: 23/145
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This was a two loop course with rolling hills and beautiful scenery. The temperature was perfect (about 66 degrees). There was a pretty good head wind at times, but never for too long, and a few gusts but not the whole time. The pack got pretty crowded on the second loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:57 | 06.21 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 25/145
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 151, Max HR - 158, Avg cadence - 91
Course: This was a rolling two loop course with a short trail run at the beginning and end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2010-04-19 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2801264

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International
Great Race and race report!
2010-04-19 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Great Race and race report!
2010-04-19 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Karla.  awesome results especially for such an early race.
2010-04-19 6:03 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nice job!

That was one of the roughest swims for me too...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed