Overall Rank = 528/1206
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 43/66
Run
  • 2h 02m 4s
  • 13.58 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was 8:30 min/mile and I ended up with 8:59. I did not consider the hills as part of that goal, and last weekend I ran a flat 13.1 mile training run in 8:18 min/mile. Overall, I feel like I've achieved my goal for running pace, but I targeted my goal to the wrong event. At the end of the day, I'm happy.

I spent some time thinking about nutrition for the race and I think this helped a lot. I had a good breakfast (eggs, toast with jelly) 3 hours prior to the start. I had a Cashew Cookie LaraBar about 15 minutes before the start. At the first aid station (2.5 miles) I had a cup of water and managed the pinch technique well. Just before the second station (5 miles), I had a PowerBar Gel with caffeine, and then a cup of water. Plastic cup this time so I had to pause to drink. Just before station 3 (8 miles) I had a Hammer Gel, and then water. At the last station around mile 10 or 11, more water. When I finished, I felt very good. Very tired and feeling like I gave it a solid 90+% effort, but I never crashed. More water would have been a good thing.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster. 8^)
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking around, eating orange wedges, drinking water and HEED, and eating hot dogs. Good band, so I sat on the grass and stretched for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Given that a year ago I could barely run 5K without walking, I think I need more training and experience. The hills were a killer. I might have been able to push a little harder, but I think I was in the 90% zone.

Event comments:

There were 4 aid stations and it would have been nice to have more. I was well hydrated, but some extra water would have been a good thing.

Last updated: 2010-04-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:04 | 13.58 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/66
Overall: 528/1206
Performance: Average
Course: HILLY! Here's a link to the profile: http://www.outsideallday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hhm_final-profile.jpg Distance and time are based upon my GPS and my stopwatch. Time is very close to official, distance is obviously longer.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Horsetooth Half Marathon

2010-04-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2801396

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Subject: RE: Horsetooth Half Marathon
Well done!  It sounds like maybe you did too much last weekend to expect your body to perform at 100%.  Esp if your body isnt used to doing back to back weekend long/fast runs.  Sometimes GPS distance is longer because the race measures assuming you run in a straight line, but really you run it in a zig zag, weaving in and out of people, etc.  Great job overall, I agree too that another aid station or two would have helped.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Horsetooth Half Marathon Rss Feed