General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-19 11:55 AM

Subject: Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Question

I'm signed up for my first Tri in June.  I was looking at the Original 13-week Training plan on this site and had some questions.

On Monday, Week 7 it says Run-15.  Does that mean it only needs a 15 minute run on Monday?   It just seems in general that the work-out times are low.  Just wanted to confirm that was right.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=261

thanks

2010-04-19 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2801472

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Subject: RE: Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Question
Yeah, that's right. If you read the introduction, it explains why.
2010-04-19 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
the #'s do seem low when you start one of these training plans...but there is a method to the madness Cool

notice that every "week 4" of a month the #'s drop...this is for your body to recover from the 3 weeks of building up times...i started training last year in Sept. with that plan and i stuck to it and have gotten great results...i am currently training for Olympic distance and it really helped doing the Sprint training first building a good base...

good luck with your training and dont hesitate to ask more questions....

Jb
2010-04-19 1:08 PM

I'm jumping into this thing last minute, I'm looking at starting at week 7 of this work out as my tri is 7-8 weeks away.  That means today all I have to do is run for 15 minutes.  That just doesn't seem like much to me, but again, I don't know.

If I look at Week 16 of the Michael pate's Total Spring trainging plan at about the same time out from race day as this one, its says to swim 750 yards and walk/jog for 35 minutes.  Thats a pretty big difference in work out isn't it?
2010-04-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2801764

thanks jason, I made that other post evidently as you were posting.  I looked some more at the chart and yea, I think I picked a week that was a little bit lower on times which generated my question.  I also went back and read some of the comments posted on the plan site.  I probably ought to start at week 5.  I guess I was thinking I should be working out an hour a day, not around 30 minutes or so.

2010-04-19 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

im not sure what membership level you are but here is a plan available to all members that is an 8 week program..

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1&racetype=1&racesubtype=2&level=3

what is your fitness background?
 i came into this in Sept of last year after being out of college for 10 years and not doing any working out and was weighing in at 220....did the sprint training program the 12 week i believe and it worked really good for me and now i am holding steady at 180 and feel like that by following these plans and not overtraining and not "overdoing" it during training you can continue to progress and race longer distances....

the one thing that i am a firm believer in is that when you are done with a workout you should feel like you could keep going with no problem...if you are "spent" you were going too fast...by working out at lower exertion, you are building a "base" and that is the key to endurance....the "base" is comparable to a foundation for a house...a good strong foundation and the house will have many years of good stability....hope im not boring you, but i always like sharing the great experience that i am having with this sport and am always willing to help anyone because i was where you were before and without BT i would not have learned as much as fast as i did.....

Good Luck!
Jb

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Question Rss Feed