FAU University
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 29s
Overall Rank = 415/725
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 and had my half pb sandwich. Threw my bike in the car along with the food for our club tent for post race. I live literally 5 minutes from the race site. Got there and parked clsoe to empty my car of the tent etc for our club.
I had to set up my transition area and opnce I got that done, I set up the tent wiht a couple of others from the club. Another member who wasnt racing came at 6 and took over setting everything up.
Event warmup:

Walked down to the water ..I as teetering the fence on wearing my wetsuit or not. But, I went with it since i had it with me and it was legal..good call i think.

Got in and did a few minutes of swimming and checknig out the water conditions. Found a sandbar half way to the bouy and noticed how much the waves were breaking.

Then hung out with friends til go time
Swim
  • 12m 3s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 2nd wave (the only good thing about aging up is the earlier wave)
I postionmed myself in the second row and a bit to the right of the buoy..Strong current. I ran out and dove in pretty fast and started swimming hard. Once to the sandbar did a few dolphin dives to get under the waves and got to the bouy with ease. Once around the buoy I could feel the strong current and just tried to go as fast as possible. I was neck and neck with a guy from my club..I really wanted to beat him out of the water :)
After rounding the last buoy, there was a strong rip current as you were trying to swim in. Felt like we were going nowehere. Finalyl once in, I ran up the beach..there was a big sand ledge to step up adn then run up the beach to transtion
What would you do differently?:

not much...realyl felt good on the swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Run up the beach and thru th tunnel to transition. My rack was fairly close to the swim in. Got my wetsuit off quickly ..good lube job! And quicky squirted feet with water. Grabbed helmet and left glasses..(it was overcast) while throwing on shoes...Grabbed my bike and I was off.

Register earlier so I wasn't a 1/4 mile away from the bike in/out :)
Bike
  • 30m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

My HR was way high..wish i had my HR asrap with me :( It took quite awhile for it to settle into a comfortable rate. There was a slight head wind but i kept my head down and worked hard at giving it all I got. At the trun around I passed a few people and really pushed it sicne there was a great tailwind. I got passed by a group of riders that weren't in the race adn a few friends cheered me on in the pack. It gave me a great puish to work even harder. I decided to lower my cadence and ride as fast as I could for the last 3 miles. I amd glad I did and overtook a few women in my ag!

bring my HR strap
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Jsut before coming into the park I took my feet out of my shoes and rode to dismount with feet ontop of soes. ran my bike in and racked fast. Threw on my sohes (no socks) and grabbed my belt. As i ran uot of transtion my belt flew off and I had to tuen around and grab it

make sure my race belt isn't broken
Run
  • 30m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Again my HR was really high and it was making me a bit sick to my stomach. I tried to slow my pace a bit to get it under control. Once up on A1A I had to walk a few moments ot get it down and also fix my belt. I picked it up again and ran until my 9 min break. Once I started running again, I felt much better and only stopped again to grab a drink of water and pour some over my head. I felt really good on my run and was running a great pace for me. As Iran into the park I saw friends along the way cheering me on. As I turned the last corner i picked up my pace and spritned in to the finish. So glad I did since i beat my best time on the course by 1 second!!!

Again, ahve my HR strap!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered otehrs coming in and hung out at the club tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to bike more!

Event comments:

Always a fun local race!

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:03 | 437 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/37
Overall: 0/725
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: Straight out 50 meters, go north 300 and back in for 50.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:52 | 10 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/37
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Thru the park and out to A1A..headed south to the deerfield line and loop back up to Spansih river and ten back into the park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:35 | 03.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/37
Course: weave thru the park out to A1A and head south to Coquina way and loop back to teh south park entrance. Weave through to the finish
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes