Set-up, Inc
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 15s
Overall Rank = 13/145
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/24
Pre-race routine:

this was my first time with a late start tri (10am). it was nice to not have to get up super early. I woke up around 6:30am. had some coffee and 1/2 a bagel and headed to the race site a little later than I wanted. Got there around 8:45am, which ended up being plenty of time. I was in the 3rd wave that went off at 10:08am. I set up my transition spot and investigated the entrances and exits for all the legs.
I drank about 1/2 bottle of EFS in the hour leading up to the race, had a hammer bar about an hour before, and a shot of EFS get about 30 minutes before.
This race really snuck up on me. I'm not used to racing this early in the season and really felt very unprepared in transition. it took me a few minutes to get my bearings and feel like I had my crap together. I also had a lot of new gear to try out. Other than a quick test ride and swim the day before, this was my first time with my new aero-helmet, race wheels and wetsuit. i also was using EFS for the first time, and it was also my first time trying to use my new garmin for a race....oh, and only my second race on my bike. yikes.

really this race was about learning; learning more about myself and where my training has taken me, learning about what i need to work on before the races that really matter, learning what of my new "stuff" works and what doesn't, and learning to be confident in myself.

fyi: race weight was probably around 117-118lbs.
Event warmup:

absolutely nothing. i don't know whether this impacted anything or not. i feel like getting in a cold lake and then getting out and standing around cold and wet for 20 minutes isn't really a great warm up. Maybe I need to explore this a little more.
Swim
  • 29m 8s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was absolutely shocked at how choppy this water was. It was definitely the hardest swim I have ever done. I was really happy, given that, that I never panicked, never felt overly uncomfortable, never swallowed a ton of water. I just kept chugging along.

I don't think that I ever really push it when I'm swimming in a race. I think what I end up doing is something close to what would be a zone 2 swim in the pool. I don't know why this is. I feel like I would see a lot of improvement if I were just more aggressive. Maybe it's a confidence thing? Likely it is a confidence thing. I think I need to hit the quarry a few times before Eman and practice on swimming aggressively in OW.
What would you do differently?:

swim more aggressively, more closely approximating what a zone 4 swim would be in the pool.

overall, given the conditions, I was happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

the wetsuit came off a LOT easier than I would have thought for being a long sleeve. I didn't body glide anywhere, but I didn't have any issues. my garmin is on a quick release strap, so as soon as I got out of the water I unpopped it, and held it in my mouth while taking my arms out of my sleeves. it's too big for the wetsuit to pull over. this worked pretty well. by the time i got to myspot my arms were out of my suit. I popped my garmin on my bike, got out of my suit, got my bike and left. i am putting my cycling shoes on in t1 and running out in them. I don't worry about socks here. my time wasn't bad. I don't really know how much time having my shoes on my bike would save me, and it looks like a big pain in the butt.

practice more. maybe decided to not race with the garmin?
Bike
  • 1h 11m 17s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

felt good on this bike. Didn't get passed by a single woman. Hard to gauge how many I passed with a 2 loop course. EFS in my aero bottle was fine for the most part. I had a little reflux/vomit issue for the first 2-3 miles. maybe EFS mixed with lake sludge. yummy.

maybe push a little harder?
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

legs felt fine off the bike. i noticed while running in from the dismount line that i didn't have that "brick" feeling. had run just a few steps from my spot when i realized i forgot my garmin on my bike. ran back for it quick.

decide if I am going to stick with the garmin on future race days.
Run
  • 46m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

felt like death on this run. contemplated my participation in triathlon for much of it. the good news is that my pace has improved, the bad news is that it takes more effort to run it. With as bad as I felt, I was really surprised to see that my first mile was 7:27min/mile. I passed a TON of people. Since it was a 2 loop course, I could tell that there wasn't any one behind me making up ground so I really just tried to maintain the pace. mile 2-4 were the worst, but I just kept telling myself it would be over soon.
splits: 7:27, 7:29, 7:33, 7:36, 7:34, 7:46 and the last fraction was at a 7:14.
had some minor muscle twinges, but nothing major. ran with my efs flask. had a shot early on. drank water at the stops. poured water over my head on one. felt better after.

i also noticed that I really liked being in the woods for the short trail segment....maybe i'll look for some off roads after IMLoo.

keep training.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

need to swim more.

Event comments:

First time here in Bumpass. I had an awesome weekend with FeXY. I love being a part of a team. It was an absolute blast and a great way to kick-off the season.

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:08 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 37/145
Performance: Average
Suit: orca 3.8
Course: left to right U shaped course; buoys on the right.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:17 | 24 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 18/145
Average HR was in 4.0. A lot of this is from the first 10 minutes, though, when the HR was really high. I think I could have pushed this higher.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 2 loops of a fun, fast, flat course. just some small, quick uphills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:47 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 8/145
HR: average 180 bpm. this is probably around a z 4.6. probably where it should have been. splits: 7:27, 7:29, 7:33, 7:36, 7:34, 7:46 and the last fraction was at a 7:14.
Course: 2 miserably boring out and back loops. HATED this run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2010-04-19 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2802124

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International
Nice race!!

The swim succkkkkked with all that chop!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed