United States
Set-up, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 11s
Overall Rank = 40/324
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 0630. Good 9 hours kip. Had bagel, juice and 2 cups of coffee. Got to race around 0815 : it was very busy - glad I'd picked up the packet on Saturday afternoon (but not glad that I'd seen the chop on the Lake at that time - it was coming over the pontoons with a 15mph NW wind). Thankfully lake was calmer on Sunday morning. Transition set up quickly - happy that I was near the swim exit. Wandered around with Caroline, Ellie and James with a couple of bathroom breaks.
Event warmup:

Er nothing much. Had Carboom at 0940 just as Transition was clearing out then went to the water to watch the first wave start. There was a delay with someone in difficulties so swam a little to check the temperature and goggles.
Swim
  • 14m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't hear a countdown but happened to be looking across to 'Horn man'. Was in second line on outside. Set off relatively quickly behind lead person but lost him within 50 yards. Some contact but not too bad. Settled into comfortable pace and felt good to the first turn by which time we had caught the previous wave. More contact. Next leg across the current was more challenging as my natural breathing side was to the chop. Hung on around turn 2 only to then go seriously off course. Didn't help we were going into the sun. Lost everyone and looked up to see that I'd made a 120 degree turn rather than a 90 degree turn and was cozying up to cute girl with life belt. Strange I thought - what is she doing in the middle of the course. Then saw fellow racers some 30 yards away from me. Made it back on course and then steady to the finish. Overall happy with the swim but probably lost a minute with bad sighting.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more frequently - find someone to draft off - breath bilaterally.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Major difficulties getting the wetsuit off and broke the zip in the end. Felt like I had a very pedestrian T1 but in fact was 8/35 in AG.

Practise more. Zip up and unzip wetsit before race to check it is working smoothly.
Bike
  • 34m 43s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Managed to clip in quickly despite small rise out of Marina. Bit congested at mount line so pleased to get away and out of trouble. Then had a great bike : passed loads of people and stayed aero for 90% of the ride. Didn't get passed. Kept it comfortable near the end as was slightly worried I might not have left enough in the legs. Took about 5 sips of water all the way round from the aerobottle. First race with the Cervelo P2 - really pleased. Actually thought I'd gone round quicker than 20.7mph (guess there was a longish run to/from transition with bike).

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Had difficulty unclipping R leg - had to come to a complete stop.

If I were doing another Sprint this year might think about the 'leaving shoes on bike' option but would need to practise that ... a lot.
Run
  • 23m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it easy up and through forest saw race leader come out of the forest as I went in - gave him a 'good job' in my best 'limey' accent. Passed a few initially and then got passed by 3 or 4 on the outward leg. Felt OK but nothing special. Was looking to save something for final mile. Ignored water stops. Return run picked up a little but didn't have much for acceleration. Took it relatively carefully through the forest and then down to the marina and only really sprinted the final 50 yards to the finish - got passed again near the end and glanced nervously at age as though I was in with a shout for a AG place : relaxed when I saw '25' on the calf. Almost fully recovered within 10 secs of finishing so definitely didn't push myself hard enough.

Do more 5k time trials to get that race pace pain barrier feeling. Just not experienced enough runner to know the pace I'm capable of and currently too wimpy to put myself through too much pain to achieve it !
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't stretch off - should have done so. Took in water and Gatorade. Picked up pizza but didn't eat it. Enjoyed the crystallised fruit and banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knowledge of running race pace. Minor tweaks to T1. Finding someone of similar ability to draft in the swim. But I can't complain really.

Event comments:

Only my third triathlon so no much to compare it with. But as a Brit resident am always impressed by the smooth organisation of these types of events. Some good touches (e.g. Sat packet pick up, plenty of space it transition, unfussed dealing with early wave swim 'problem'.) I appreciated the tech T-shirt with funky logo (no need for race medals) enjoyed the crystallised fruit (!), announcer was really encouraging, and nearly everything around transition seemed to go well apart from perhaps some 'roping' issues with the crowd.

Downside is that the run is really punishing at the start and end. I'd read the BT race reports of 2009 race and did a recce on Saturday afternoon but it is literally a pain to run over that terrain if you are not a trail runner. The gravel was almost as bad on the way back. That's why I'm giving the race a 4/5 - otherwise very pleased with the event and my performance.

Last updated: 2010-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:16 | 820 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 87/324
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU sleeveless
Course: Clockwise rectangle around small promontory
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:43 | 12 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/35
Overall: 30/324
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Anticlockwise loop. Slightly undulating.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:16 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/35
Overall: 70/324
Performance: Average
Course: Up short hill on grass with bad adverse camber. Ditch jump then root-y run through forest for 200 yards. Then another ditch jump and gravel for 75 yards. Then finally ... tarmac to turn around point. Then read above in reverse order for return.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint

2010-04-19 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2802948

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint
Great race and report!!!  Congrats on the AG placing.  The beginning/end of the run are tough...wish they would change it!
2010-04-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2803093

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint
Skippy74 - 2010-04-19 10:05 PM Great race and report!!!  Congrats on the AG placing.  The beginning/end of the run are tough...wish they would change it!

Thanks !  Very pleased that training has paid off.  Worth the 120 mile drive from MD !  The trail run is annoying but I don't think there is enough room on the road for in/out bikes and in/out runners without chaos ...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint Rss Feed