New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 5h 23m 34s
Overall Rank = 380/1649
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 56/208
Pre-race routine:

Drove to New Orleans on Friday, checked into hotel and did packet pickup. Dropped bike off on Saturday and spent the rest of the time playing tourist.
Event warmup:

Got up at 4:30 had something to eat and got to transition early. Setup and was disappointed to find out that the spectators could not hang out with the athletes at the start like last year. One of the things I really liked about last year's race was the relaxed atmosphere at the start. That being said, this year's transition was a huge improvement over last year's so I guess on balance things work out.
Swim
  • 35m 9s
  • 1829 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a beach start and it seemed like you could run for quite a ways before having to swim. Once swimming the water was fairly rough and fairly crowded. I spent more time swimming over and around people than I would like, but for the most part was able to stay calm and keep the pace steady. The only real problem, aside from the kick to the face, was when after making the turn to swim back I could not sight as between the chop and the sun I could not find the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, the conditions were not ideal and I made it through. Maybe next time try the tinted goggles when knowing that you will be swimming into the sun.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Visited the strippers, always fun, and took care of the wetsuit.
Debated putting on socks ... then put on socks, shoes, the rest of the stuff, grabbed the bike and ran
Bike
  • 2h 49m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into the race this was my concern as due I did not get in the long training rides that I would have likes, and actually only rode outside 3 times this year (including last week's race). With that in mind, and the "do not eat the paste article" I put a heart rate cap on and staying at or under it for the entire time. I was determined not to eat the paste and to have a good run (unlike last year). For the most part the strategy worked, though I was a little worried while riding into the head wind all the way out ... kept telling myself not to eat the paste, and remember the wind will be at the back on the way home. Over all, very happy with the ride it went better than I expected.

try riding outside some more ... I will wish I had north texas weather for training next year
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Get out of bike shoes, get into running shoes. Take running shoes off, remove grass, try again.

Learn to put on shoes without getting grass in them.
Run
  • 1h 55m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

It took until mile 7 before I started to get comfortable on the run and I suspect that I ran a negative split. I held back as much as I could until mile six trying to keep my heart rate in check, and then allowed it to rise gradually until the end. The aid stations on the run were fantastic; every mile and very well stocked.

Run faster, earlier. I was worried about running out of gas so I might have been a little to conservative for the first half of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a couple of bottles of water and then borrowed a cell phone from a stranger to call my wife as it was hard to find her in the crowd at the finish line.

Event comments:

This is a fun race and finishing in Jackson square is something else. The crowd support in New Orleans is fantastic.

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:09 | 1829 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/208
Overall: 0/1649
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: