CGI Racing
50"sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 50s
Overall Rank = 171/2428
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/155
Pre-race routine:

5:15am wake-up. Shower, Hit D&D for a Turkey Sausage Eggwhite Flatbread and Coffee. At AJ's by 6:30.
Event warmup:

Tried to stay warm, damn was it freezing! Jogged around the parking lot to test the hip, definitly felt it and tried to stretch it out as much as possible before the start. Had a banana, 3 advil and 21oz of gatoraide about 30min before race. Waited forever on the porta-pottie line.
Run
  • 1h 38m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, I felt great! I started out at the back of the 8:00 group figuring i would feel better mentally passing people rather than getting passed. The 1st mile or so was a tight pack, so making moves was a bit tough, but it broke up nicely after 2.5 miles. I stuck to my plan, taking 2 miles to settle into a comfortable HR, which was a bit higher than expected. Took the next 3 to lock down my pace. By mile 6 I realized I was averaging a 7:30 pace. My goal quickly changed from finishing in 1:45, to finish with a 7:30 average pace. I took in a 1 gel w/ caffein at mile 7 and took my 1st water after that. I hit 2 more aid stations after that with water at 1, then gatoraide at the next. I made sure to pick up the pace after grabbing aid to compromise for the brief slowdown. Mile 8 - 9 my Ipod was turning out some awesome music and I was humming, posted a 6:55 pace for that mile. Mile 11.5 my left achillies/lower calf started to bother me, however I was less than 2 miles from the finish so I pushed through the pain. I planned to sprint all of College ave but that hill coming out of the park took a bit more out of me than I expected. Finished strong sprinted through the finish line and felt tremendous. I was almost dissapointed that it was over.

The hip never bothered me.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for AJ, ate the pretzle from the snack bag, drank water and shot the shit with AJ and his buddy Justin (17th overall)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Great race! Well organized and an absolutely stunning course. Only have 1 complaint... What's up with the babydoll t-shirts? Great looking shirt, nice moisture wicking material, however the large is tighter than my wetsuit! I asked to swap for an XL, but they would not accomidate!

Last updated: 2009-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:50 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/155
Overall: 171/2428
Performance: Good
Ave HR was 167
Course: Beautiful course, mainly flat with a few "false flat" segments. I think the course was marked a bit short. My Garmin had it at 13.25. This is no biggie except is lists my official pace at 7:33 and my Garmin had me at 7:27. (I'll go with my garmin pace)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes