General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Women Swimsuit Advice for Sprint Triathlon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-20 3:51 PM

Subject: Need Women Swimsuit Advice for Sprint Triathlon!
Hello,

Ok I am running in to bit of a triathlon dilemma here. I am competing in my first triathlon (sprint distance) this July and I recently purchased a shnasy and expensive Felt road bike. After realizing how much I spent on the bike I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible for this first race from here on out. So when it comes to clothing for me for the actual triathlon I am stumped. I am weird when it comes to clothing that is too tight which is why I feel a tri-suit/wetsuit would not be good for me. I am the type of girl who wears short running shorts and a tank top to work out in, whether that's running or biking or whatever.

After thinking more and more about it I am trying to figure out if it would be smarter for me to wear a one-piece swim suit and then just slide on a pair of running shorts during T1 or if I should get a 2-piece athletic swim suit and slide on running shorts and a triathlon top during T1. Like i said before I don't like tight things so I feel that the one-piece would be best for the swim but not so much for the bike/run. However, I have never seen anyone compete in a two-piece swim suit with no wet suit or anything before.

I know I might be putting too much thought into this but I do over analyze things and I just want to make sure what I order offline is a for sure thing, because lets face it returning things online is not fun....please comment and let me know your thoughts ladies. I very much appreciate it!

Carly

2010-04-20 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2805305

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Need Women Swimsuit Advice for Sprint Triathlon!
Well, I don't think anyone really LIKES tri clothing. It's tight, and really, unless you're in that .0000001% of the population, generally not flattering to anyone. That being said, it DOES serve a purpose.

However, if you don't want to wear tri-sprecific stuff, I'd go with option 1 out of the two you gave. Swimsuit is fine--many people do the whole race in just a suit (one or two piece). If you want to pull shorts on, go nuts.

Running shorts wouldn't be ALL that difficult to get on, all things considered. A tri top, OTOH, would be a pill. Plus, you already said you don't like tight things.
2010-04-20 4:05 PM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
I say suck it up and buy the tri suit. They really are so comfortable and easy and have lots of useful pockets that I can't imagine doing a tri in anything but.

I was in your spot when I did my first tri. I tried on the shorts and was horrified how even thin me looked like an over stuffed sausage in the tri shorts. But I found that the longer shorts look much better.

worst case scenario you can throw on some running shorts....but really, the tri suit is so comfy and is an investment. I only ever wear mine when I race but it's worth having.
2010-04-20 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Wear a tri suit -- or tri shorts and a tri top.

You really don't want to deal with putting on ANYTHING in T1 -- try taking a shower and getting dressed without toweling off.

No one (well, very few people!) look good in tri clothes.  If you live anywhere near a store that sells tri clothes I'd go there and try stuff on -- different brands size differently and fit differently on all women.

Although it sucks wearing it (not flattering), a trip suit is SO convenient for racing -- you can swim in it, bike in it, run it it. The "pad" on the shorts is thick enough to bike in, but nice so thick that you feel like you're running in a diaper.

Your tri top/ shorts should be fitting but not too tight.

Good luck !! And remember that very few people at the race will look fantastic in all spandex
2010-04-20 4:16 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Wetsuit legal or not?  All the races I have done to date have been wetsuit legal so I actually wear a loser shirt under my wetsuit then a tri shirt.  Its actually a sleevless mountain bike shirt.  I still wear tri shorts though.

Edited by bzgl40 2010-04-20 4:17 PM
2010-04-20 4:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far! I have looked into a wetsuit but for me it's to exspensive to buy right now and I looked into renting one which is still an option but I would need to practice in it before I rent it which will probably add up to the cost of buying it.

As for the tri-suit I guess my biggest dilemma is that I don't have any stores around me where I can go in and try it on. All the tri-stores have shut down because of the economy so I am stuck ordering it offline and reading reviews about it.

I'm tiny weighing in a 118lbs and 5'61/2 feet tall, so it's not that I am big or anything I just don't like things suctioned to me and I definitely don't like 1-piece things (I used to be a dancer when I was little and getting me into a leotard was terrible haha). Maybe I will just have to bite my tounge and buy the tri-suit. What brands do you all have/love?

C

2010-04-20 4:34 PM

I am doing my first triathlon(s) on a budget.  So, I'll be doing my first triathlon this summer in a Speedo two-piece sport suit that I alreayd had and maybe adding some running shorts when I get to T1.  That being said, I'm a former college swimmer, so I have no self-conciousness about running around in public in a swim suit or tight clothing. 

While I'm sure tri-specific clothes are fantastic, I don't have money for them right now.  Also, I live far enough south that I can't imagine needing a wetsuit at the end of June, so my two-piece will do me just fine.

2010-04-20 6:09 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
I've seen lots of girls race in a 2-piece. You can do the entire race in one. Tri suits are a recent invention.
2010-04-20 6:13 PM

Regular
My tri suit is a one piece Pearl Izumi. I love it. Like you I have a problem with constrictive clothing (the only reason I can tolerate my wetsuit is that it is sleeveless) , but even worse is clothing that rides up (or down.) With a one piece you eliminate the issue of clothing moving around during the race. I love not having the elastic band of tri shorts cutting into my midsection. It's also nice if you wear a race belt, the one piece suit provides a layer between your skin and the belt. The Pearl Izumi has a built in sports bra and a zipper down the front, so you could unzip it a bit in front if you felt you needed more breathing room.
2010-04-20 6:21 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I can't wear one piece items comfortably because I have a long torso.  And unlike you, I've still got weight to lose, so I don't feel comfortable in a two piece for the whole race.

My first sprint is in a couple of weeks, and I've decided to wear a sports bra and tri shorts for the swim, and then I'll throw on some slim but not super fitted technical fabric top for the bike/run. This way, all I need to invest in is the tri shorts which I think would be MUCH easier to buy online than a full tri suit.  When I get to my goal weight (and when I get to my first OLY), then I'll consider investing in more tri specific clothing.  As far as I'm concerned, the shorts are the most critical part, so it's worth starting there.

I cannot imagine biking in a bathing suit - too much opportunity for rubbing in places that would suck if blisters formed!
2010-04-20 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I bought a tri-top and used tri biking shorts, then threw a shirt on over everything in T1 to cover myself. The tri top just looks like a sports bra. Nice and supportive. I could have worn about anything for the bike, but on the run with the jiggling that inevitably goes on it was nice to have some support. I am not a fan of one piece suits at all. If you have to order something online you can always just do your best to guess the size, and exchange it if it's not right...just make sure you have plenty of time before your race of course.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Women Swimsuit Advice for Sprint Triathlon! Rss Feed