United States
Devine Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m
Overall Rank = 2575/4627
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 99/133
Pre-race routine:

Get to race before it starts. Why do they have to start so early in the morning and why are there never enough portapotties? I had the normal nervous tummy but I was also starting to the point that it was distracting. I don't usually eat before a race but I took a chance and grabbed a couple of slices of bread and some peanut butter. I think it was a good choice and helped with the race. I may try this for my next race too.
Event warmup:

Work my way to the starting line and hang out in the back.
Run
  • 2h 13m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping I would do a little better. My gold medal goal was under two hours with a basic goal of 2:10.
I usually start the race at the back of the pack. I hate the crowds crossing the line and passing the slow people on the outside isn't too bad and helps me feel better knowing that I'm not the slowest person running.
Things were going well for the first half of the race. It looked like I would finish in less then two hours. I stopped at mile 7 for a potty break and never really got going again. I probably could have skipped the potty break and been ok. The urge to go stopped when I stopped running but didn't want to take a chance with the nervous stomach I had when I woke up. Anyway, I lost my groove. Plus the last few miles I just couldn't seem to catch my breath. There were times I felt like my throat was closing up. (Exercise induced asthma? I'll have to check into it.) There is also a hill at about 12.5 that I had forgotten about and I had to walk up the last little bit. In the end I was disappointed in my race.
What would you do differently?:

I need to add more medium runs and some hills my training plan instead of just relying on the long run. I was also expecting the typical goodies (fruit etc) at the aid stations but it was just water and powerade. I will definitely bring some of my own stuff next time instead of just relying on what they provide.
Post race
Warm down:

Very crowded and there wasn't really any where to stretch so I just kept walking around. Post race treats were a little lacking too. I feel bad for the marathoners that were coming in later.

Event comments:

The web site is messed up and everything is off. Two hours was added to the finish times and my rank is off from what was posted at the race and when I first checked the web site the afternoon of the race.

Last updated: 2009-12-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:00 | 13.1 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 99/133
Overall: 2575/4627
Performance: Average
Course: I was a little worried about a hill at the beginning but it wasn't too bad. There is also a hill at about 12.5 that I had forgotten about and is a tougher getting gradually steeper until you hit the top. The rest was pretty much level or downhill. Better course then I was expecting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No