New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 5h 48m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 15/65
Pre-race routine:

The whole prep to this race was not that great. 8ish months ago when I signed up everything was going to be planned out. However, when I got closer I got a new job that necessitated my being in NJ from April 11-20. I got permission to fly to NO for the weekend. Flights were expensive. I ended up getting up at 2am NO time on Saturday morning to fly to the race. John met me there with our stuff. The other unfortunate thing besides lack of sleep, etc. was the lack of training facilities available the week prior. I actually had access to a good pool and the running was fine, but was off the bike all week. I felt a bit stale by the time the race rolled around.
Event warmup:

Like I said, flew in at the crack of dawn to NO on Sat. Connected in Charlotte. Got there around 11. Expo, meeting, checked in bike and ate room service sleeping by eight. In a perfect world, there were many things I would have like to have done like check out the course, make sure my bike was good but there was no way any of that was going to happen.
Swim
  • 38m
  • 2000 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

long long ago in a land far away, I thought my split would be in the mid thirties. This was before I considered the course and encountered the waves. The waves were reminiscint of my first half last year, Gulf Coast. The complicating factor was that it wasn't an out and back it was like an out left u turn then straight then return to shore. Not a good description. A better one was simply "chaos"

It was really hard to see the buoys. People were swimming all over the place. Really, there was no way they could even enforce if someone actually completed the course or not. The water was very shallow all the way to the first buoy. I knew I was in trouble when I practically was practically hyperventilating just from the 200 yard dash in thigh-high water.

After that I got lost and asked directions from other swimmers twice. I also mistakenly followed a group of swimmers who were swimming off course to go hang on to a kayak. Whoops!

All in all, I didn't even want to see what my time was. I figured I had to have been in the water for 40-45 minutes. A slight silver lining: the swim affected everyone adversely by 5 plus minutes so my projection on an easy to navigate course would have been accurate.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Im not sure of my time but I know it was slow. The strippers couldn't get my wetsuit off, then I couldn't find my bike. Ouch.
Bike
  • 3h 17m
  • 56 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

With the way things had gone so far, I was relieved to get on the bike. I also felt a little apprehensive. To be honest, it just seemed like one of those everything-that-can-go-wrong-will type of days. I stopped after about a mile because I thought my brake pads were rubbing, thats how it felt riding into the wind. The roads were Very bumpy.

At 17 miles I felt like the ride was getting too bumpy. I pulled over again and sure enough, a flat. My worst nightmare. Worst considering I had just gotten new race wheels literally a few days prior to leaving for my long nj "vacation" and hadn't had a chance to practice messing with them at all.

I had three thoughts. Number one I knew that my race, insofar as going for a certain time, or any chance for a roll down spot, was over. Secondly I really wanted to try to have a good attitude about it, finish, and get a good workout. I managed to get the tire off and change the tube but I couldn't get the tire back on. I had to wait for help which took over thirty minutes.

After this is where it got really tough. I feel like for the first time, I understand what people are talking about when they talk about mental skills. Normally, I will do anything to try to reach my goal... any pain or distractions are irrelevant simply because I have an innate drive to do my best at all costs. Well when that was taken away from me I have to say that it was really hard to continue to push. I did continue to push hard but I don't think it was the same performance as the extra few percentage points that the drive to succeed, to reach your goal, would have been. It was simply a hard workout.
What would you do differently?:

Silver lining: My time minus thirty- two minutes was 2 45ish which was what I projected for this race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I have no idea what my time was. All I know is that this time I was able to find my spot.
Run
  • 1h 46m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Very sunny and hot. Again, it was a real struggle mentally to continue to push myself. My run was slower than projected. I don't think I over cooked the bike at all. I think it was just a function of not being acclimated and the whole situation. I was just ready to be Done and thats what was driving me forward. Wanting to be Done wasn't enough to really get me running as fast as I could it was just enough to keep me running at all!
What would you do differently?:

Silver linings:

Pretty run course. Great crowd support. Even though my run was "slow" I actually had the third fastest run in my division. I guess no one was acclimated yet!
Post race
Warm down:

Got to hang out with John, Paul, Jim, and Jamal. I was glad that John had a good race although he wasn't 100 percent happy with it. It seemed like everyone really struggled ... it was a tough race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well I already went through all that. Bottom line was yes the situation was very disappointing. But hopefully this is just one of many races I will do this season. I will say that I am already plotting and planning on getting another 70.3 on the schedule.

Last updated: 2010-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:00 | 2000 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:00 | 56 miles | 17.06 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-04-20 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2010-04-21 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2805993

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: RE: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
Sorry about the flat on the bike! Otherwise you had GREAT splits! That swim....yeah....was not one of my favorite swims of all time.
2010-04-21 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
I've been hearing it was a rough swim for everyone! And a flat SUCKS!! Nice overall race! Way to go!
2010-04-21 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2806474

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yeah, thanks for the words. I am hoping that that was my mechanical issue for the year! This race was a definite disappointment but Im gonna come back!!

Steve, I have read your blog and have a "burning" question for you...

2010-04-21 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

tough day...but you held it together...mental game is only a game when it is a tough day...weird how on a good day, people rarely talk about how hard it was mentally.    Swim sounded like bad conditions...what can you do about a flat, just bad luck.  Run was strong as usual.   Look out GCHIM...revenge is about to be served up!

2010-04-22 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Tough race, but you still finished it like a champ! Way to go! That's still a pretty fast time considering you had to wait for tire help!

Some races are tough b/c of the conditions and the role that plays on your mind and body.

Good race, nonetheless!

2010-04-22 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Way to go!! You did amazingly well considering all that you were up against! Sounds like a tough day but you got to that finish!
2010-04-24 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2810843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks guys for the nice comments. It was definitely a lesson in perserverance!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed