Race Revolutions
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 22s
Overall Rank = 72/103
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 a.m. – usual morning routine then packed up hotel room, looked over and double checked transition back that was packed the night before and was out the door for the 30 minute drive to race site. Started to go over transitions in head step by step. Stopped on the way for gas and breakfast. Pumped gas and bought breakfast. Drove off with gas hose still attached to car. GENIOUS!!! Skidded to a halt, picked up hose and started walked it back into store with a “Yes, I am a dumb a$$” look on my face. An employee who was refilling the window squeegee buckets was already out there and was laughing at me. She said it happens all the time and not to worry about it. Got to love the Texas hospitality… I then proceeded to help her re-attach the hose onto the pump. Thank God for the invention of quick release / quick connect gas nozzles. Drove off , again, ate breakfast in car on the way to race site. Breakfast consisted of an egg and potato breakfast taco, a granola bar, and strong black coffee. Got to race site, set up transition area. Shot the bull with Rob and family and big bad Marine Corps Brant for a bit.
Event warmup:

Walked run course solo 1 hour before pre-race meeting. I did not have a chance to scout it the day prior like the bike course. Five minutes into my walk I knew I was in for trouble. The run course was crazy technical. At the pre-race meeting we were informed the run was longer than advertised 4 miles in lieu of 3 and promised it would be difficult. The race director warned us against the likelihood of a twisted or even broken ankle given the technical nature of the run.
Swim
  • 15m 4s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a mass start for everyone, men, women, all age groups. I lined up towards the back and left side since this was my 1st tri had recently just recovered from the flu. I did not want to participate in the potential slugfest. I was looking to enjoy the event and at the very least finish it. I took it easy but I did manage to catch up with the pack around the 1st buoy and did get bumped and jostled around a bit. At this point I was still relaxed and was very thankful I had spent some time practicing sighting in the open water prior to the event. I swam at a comfortable cruising pace and simply focused on stroke efficiency and my breathing.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a bit harder be more aggressive getting into the middle of things and swimming towards the front of the pack. Find a good swimmer to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Walked out of the water and to my spot in the transition area and proceeded to change. I am not sure if I followed what I had planned. I did do things deliberately, purposely and tried not to rush and most of all stay calm. Walked out of the transition area and mounted my bike when the volunteers told us it was ok to hop on the bike.

change quicker, not take so much time. Practice transitions at home.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 41s
  • 16 miles
  • 10.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Once on the bike I casually pedaled up the 1st hill and let it loose on the downhill side and settled into a good race clip until the 1st technical up hill section. I then realized my heart rate and breathing was up there and I needed to settle down and conserve energy for the rest of the bike portion and for the run (which I suck at). I calmed down a bit and got my cadence to 80 rpm instead of the 90-100 that I was riding earlier. Sucked down my 1st gu of the day. I had to keep on telling myself I have to run after the ride and I can’t ride at my normal “bike only” race pace. I rode the rest of the bike segment like I did the swim. I cruised at a comfortable tempo, quick but not fast, knowing I needed to conserve energy for the longer than expected trail run (which I suck at). I ran out of water about half way through the 2nd loop of the bike leg, which was about 3 or 4 miles from the transition area. I failed to top off my camelbak from the previous day’s scouting ride. About a mile left in the bike segment I sucked down my 2nd gu in prep for the run (which I suck at).

Overall the bike course was great. It was about 95% single track yet passing was still easy and all of the riders I passes were accommodating when you let them know you were behind them and intended to pass. The trail was an excellent sampling of what the Central Texas Hill Country has to offer. It is on par on what I have seen on the TMBRA (Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association) racecourses. Where there was dirt, it was fast and tacky; where there was not, it had slick, jagged limestone or loose baby head river rock. In the open meadow sections the trail snaked through fields of gorgeous Texas wildflowers and flowed through the woods. To make things more interesting prickly pear cactus lined the path here and there. It was a miracle I did not get a flat on the course. I regret not packing my camera for the trip and taking pictures during the pre-ride. The trail scenery was outstanding. There were three rocky descents that were marked with skulls and crossbones. I was able to ride two out of the three. I probably could have made it down the third if I was on my full suspension bike where the bike would make up for poor judgment of a line and/or lack of ability. I chose to ride my 29er hardtail instead. There were also 3 or 4 mandatory hike-a-bike sections that I have heard about in other Xterra races. Those were fun (to walk and push and carry the bike up).

like the swim maybe go a bit harder. Top off my hydration pack.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

not much to say here. helmet off, gloves off, camelbak off, right mtb shoe off, right running shoe on, left mtb shoe off, left running shoe on. clipped on race belt and off I went

do things faster
Run
  • 46m 51s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was definitely the crux of the event for me. I gave up several positions on the run and did no passing. I watched many people pass me. The run is my weakest discipline and knowing the technical nature of the trail I was conservative on the two prior segments in regards to energy expenditure. The trail was challenging in deed. It was an out and back with a balloon loop at the turn around. Having said this you got to experience 90% of the “challenge” twice. Right out of the transition area you run up a small hill and down the other side which leads you to the steep, off-camber river bank trail complete with loose river stones and exposed roots from the trees. You had to high step over the roots. At the end or the riverbank trail it is a short run a loose rocky hill. Between the rocky technical parts there were a few sections of smooth and almost flat surfaces but these were rare. The trail continued in this fashion throughout the run segment. The trail run was similar in scenery to the bike portion.

I started hurting almost immediately after the 1st hill. Originally I thought I could slowly jog the entire thing. It became apparent the I would have to adjust my strategy. I tried a walk/run with a 1 min walk to 3 minute run ratio. My quads quickly dismissed this as they started to protest in earnest and started to cramp. They cramped so bad at one point I actually had to stop and stretch them for a minute. At this point I switched to survival mode and ran for a minute and walked another. It worked out that I walked the uphill portions of the run and let gravity help me stumble down the back side. I did this over and over again till I was back at the riverbank. There I heard someone yell from behind “pick it up you are almost there!” It was this encouragement, the smell of grilled hamburgers, and the thought of a cold N x NW beer that kept me running to the finish line. I had to really focus to keep turning my legs over. I had to repeat to myself “almost there”. The run definitely chewed me up. I gave up 8 spots and the slowest run time of my age group.

run a bunch more. Do more bike to run brick work outs.
Post race
Warm down:

soaked myself with a couple of water bottles I had in my transition bag. Changed out of my race kit and into dry clean clothes. Got in line for food and beer. Talked Tri with Rob, Brant, and a few others. Even got to say hey and chat with Shonny Vanlandingham for a bit too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a running base.

Event comments:

Helluva race. Can't wait till next year and the rest of the off-road series this year!!!

check out the race photos at http://www.backprint.com/jakenorthphoto

the Tri has some really nice pictures but the photos of run porttion of the Du had better pictures of the scenery (wildflower fields) I previously mentioned.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:04 | 875 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 51/103
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra vortex
Course: Beach wade in start, traiangle loop. Exit was 30 yards from beach entrance.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:41 | 16 miles | 10.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 58/103
Wind:
Course: Rough, rocky with slippery limestone and loose river rock in sections, fast tacky dirt in others. Beautiful trail with an abundance of wildflowers, cactus, and mesquite lining the trail. No real granny gear grinder of a climb but adequate elevation changes up and down. Many more expereinced racers were surprised about the technical difficulty of the trail.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:51 | 04 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/20
Overall: 87/103
Performance: Bad
Course: TECHNICAL. Rocky either with slick and jagged limestone or loose baby head river rock. Off-camber riverside trail run to start, up a small hill down the other side up a loose rocky hill and then the fun starts. Hardly any flat ground. The trail either went up or down or was off-camber. Smooth sections of the trail were rare too. IT was a tough ankle twister of a trail that kick my butt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-04-20 9:42 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Xterra Muleshoe

2010-04-21 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2806004

User image

Elite
washington state
Subject: RE: Xterra Muleshoe
Wow!  You sure picked a tough one for your first tri.  But you finished, didn't get hurt and had some very respectable times.  And it sounds like you had a good time (at least once it was over!Smile

2010-04-21 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2806194

User image

Cypress, Texas
I had a great time, the whole time through, even on the run Smile!

I learned where I need to improve and now know what to expect.  I'll be ready for the next one.  I can't wait.
2010-04-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2806004

User image

Champion
marietta
damn that sounds like fun.  and free grub and beer afterward is ALWAYS a great thing.  congrats triathlete!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Muleshoe Rss Feed