United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Assess weather to determine race wear, finalize race kit. Felt realy good today, put in solid base run training since February and a lot of trail work, was looking to take 5 minimum maybe even 10 minutes off my time from last year.
Event warmup:

10 min light jog
Run
  • 2h 22m
  • 15.53 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Perfect weather, great trail conditions due to some rain the prior week and a nice participant turnout. I ran 2:20 last year - about a 9 min/mile ave. I figured, to make my target I needed to pull an 8:30/ave pace keeping in mind to quicken the pace a bit on the easy trail sections to bank some time for the various climbs and rocky sections.

To start I settled in to a 8:05 pace for the first 5K, honestly felt easy but I had no reason to run this fast this early, hit the first aid station for water only. Mile 4 seems mostly up hill with some steep sections like going up steps. I took this agressively and basically redlined, it took all of mile 5 down the old rail bed and some of 6 to recover but I had slowed to my target pace around 8:30 pace. Coming in to the second aid station somewhere around mile 7, I took some heed but was feeling the need for a carb fill up, they had some gummies/M&M's. Most of mile 8 was a lot of up and down, the ups were really affecting me and I started to take some at walk pace. I was not feeling good now and questioned my fast start, the race was barely half over. Coming into the turnaround down at the river around mile 9 I knew that I could not hold 8:30 but thought I could hold 9:00 pace with some effort and bring it home close to my time target. At 3rd aid station, took more Heed. The gradual climb back to bowl & picture I realized the wheels were coming off the bus. My pace was dropping fast and I had zero energy for any elevation gain. This is where the 'what went wrong?' discussion in my mind was taking place.
Did I under train?
Did I over train?
Did I sleep enough the last 2 nights?
Did I taper correctly?
Should I have rode mtn bike last week?
I had blown up and wanted to walk. The last 5K was survival, I was going to come in slower than last year!

Brought it home in 2:22. At this point the tunnel vision on the 'problem with my training' reason for the poor performace had cleared, I realized that I only took in maybe 100 calories, should have had at least 400 for a 2 hr effort! I knew that the first 10k was too fast but add not eating and I had no hope of getting through the last 10k.
Honestly, I thought I could rely on the aid stations for calories, expected to see the hi-strength gatoraid, but Heed was all that was provided.
What would you do differently?:

Carry calories for insurance, you never know what will be available other than water. I've been humbled, its a mistake that should not have happened, the positive here is that I will never forget the mistake, this left a mark.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrate, eat

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition planning

Event comments:

Love the event, good venue and all distances are offered to everyone who enjoys trail runing.

Last updated: 2010-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:22:00 | 15.53 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail, all variety off road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3