General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70 miler!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-26 2:29 PM

User image

New user

NoVa - soon to be SC
Subject: First 70 miler!!!
Did my first 70 plus miler yesterday. (little over 71 miles) Recently I have been doing 42 miles the past three weekends and have been pushing myself real hard on those rides. I thought jumping up to 71 would be ok, enough for me to handle. WRONG!!!

I started out and the first 35.5 miles was way too fast. I let my competitive nature, ego, whatever you call it, get in the way and I didn't want anyone to pass me. (I was riding on the WO&D Trail that goes from DC to Purceville - lots of riders/runners. Purceville is the turnaround and there is a nice bike shop there were everyone re-fuels etc. The whole trail is about 45.5 miles one way, I started around mile 9 or so) So this one guy blows by me and I try to keep up but he was gone. Later in the ride, about 20 miles into it, this other dude on a nice aerobike by Elite wizzed past me. I tried staying on his wheel but he got too far ahead. I finally caught up to him about 10 minutes later and zoom past him: confidence lifted! I kept pushing it until about 5 miles or so from Purceville. I got a flat! My first ever flat, that I knew I wasn't going to have that day. And I had no experience in changing the tire, rear tire at that! This one guy stops and helps me out, basically changes it for me, showing me every little detail. We get started and asks me to pull for him. I'm thinking I was going to drop him and after pulling for about 3 minutes, he blows by me and I realize this dude was no joke. It took all I had to keep up, but as soon as I got behind his draft I was ok. We did this until a mile before the turnaround where he turned off to go home. I got to the bike shop wasted!!! I spend about 15 minutes or so refueling and then I take off back down the trail toward DC. I tell myself to take it easy which I sorta did. I made sure to push it on the down hills but easy on the flats and uphills. About midway through I guess I hit a wall - BONKED! If this was the Tour de France or Ironman, I woulda lost the race or DNF'd. I still had about 20 miles to go, plus the sun started to blaze.

A few times I wanted to pull over and rest but I didn't and sucked it up and finished strong. I never felt faint or anything, mostly just really tired legs, achey back and my balls were hurting big time-still not used to sitting on that skinny bike seat!

I didn't think it was going to end but it did and I realized I should have thought this out a little more than I did. Atleast my family and I were going to go eat some good seafood after I got back, which was 2 hours later than expected!

2005-06-26 3:13 PM
in reply to: #183870

User image

Master
Michigan
Subject: RE: First 70 miler!!!
Sweet bro, excellent job. What I like so much about tri is the mind game. Once you convince your mind you can continue and go on your body follows. Keep up the good work.
2005-06-26 6:19 PM

New user
Great job man. I know what it feels like when something is a lot harder than you think it should be. Next time when you go for 80 try a less crowded trail so you don't feel pressured. You also need to understand that THERE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE PEOPLE BETTER THAN YOU!!! No matter what ne one is capable of being beaten. Also GET A HEART RATE MONITOR! You watch you heart rate and stay in z1 and z2 for those long rides. Judge your capabilities by what your hrm is telling you when you experiment with long rides so you won't bonk. Antoher thing, when you bonk stop and refuel. Give yourself 30 minutes to rest and you probably would have been home only 1 hour past your expected arrival time. One more thing, taking a multi vitamin like centrum performance (the mith they don't dissolve is a lie, put one in water and it will dissolve) so your body will be able to recover from a bonk faster.
2005-06-26 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I really appreciate this thread, I am a complete newbie, and have been riding just a on schwinn erodyne(sp?) to get my miles in, or at the Y where they have nice big squishy seats at the spin classes. Anyways my triathlete goddess of a sister is pregnant and GAVE me her Javalin tri bike (her dh is buying her a new bike upon delivery of a male heir - his exact words, but I digress, she will get the new bike even if it's a girl). The longest I have ever biked is just an hour and a half, and this week I have a two hour bike planned, so I will be thinking of YOU! when I suck it up on that hard, skinny little seat, OUCH!
Way to go, and good job
2005-06-26 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
I do most of my training on the W&OD and there are some serious riders that use the trail. I've bonked a couple of times coming home from Purceville or Taylortown. It took me awhile to realize that you burn 600 to 700 calories an hour and if you don't eat at least a couple of hundred calories an hour, you're going to bonk, especially as hot as it was today.

Anyways, great ride and I hope you enjoyed the seafood.

Ernie
2005-06-26 6:49 PM

Online or Offline

You're lucky shadowfax! Make sure you change out from the goddess seat on your new Javelin, or else you might find yourself with some sore balls like Guy up there. Get a male specific seat on it!

2005-06-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #183971

User image

New user

NoVa - soon to be SC
Thanks guys, I feel alittle off today. I probably need to drink more water and take those Centrums like I'm supposed to. I actually have Centrum Performance but don't take it like I should. I am never good at taking pills but I guess I'd better get better at it. I am not sure if it's my allergies/sinuses or the bike ride that is kicking my butt today. Body wise I feel great, but my head feels stuffy.

I told myself before the ride that I would go easy and not be so aggressive but that went out the window quick. This was a big learning experience and I definitely needed to eat more. I have no idea how many calories I lost after that ride but what I ate during the ride didn't even come close to what I probably lost. I definitely drank more than I thought I would but didn't eat enough. I need to invest in some gels too. Those will probably help out big time.

I will be moving to SC next month so I need to take advantage of this trail. I really like riding on it. I don't think there is anything like this trail where I will be living so I will not have to worry about other riders and having to catch them. But I will have to ride on the road more now, which isn't too bad. Lot's of country back roads to ride.

Oh and the seafood was great. If you are ever in DC go stop by Phillips. It's the best seafood/all you can eat place that I have been to.
2005-06-26 10:36 PM
in reply to: #184120

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Guy - 2005-06-26 7:59 PM Thanks guys, I feel alittle off today. I probably need to drink more water and take those Centrums like I'm supposed to. I actually have Centrum Performance but don't take it like I should. I am never good at taking pills but I guess I'd better get better at it. I am not sure if it's my allergies/sinuses or the bike ride that is kicking my butt today. Body wise I feel great, but my head feels stuffy.  

You know that's a HUGE jump in distance.  I'm not surprised that you bonked, especially since it seems you really weren't prepared with enough fuel for your body.  For today and maybe even tomorrow, you may just want to rest and let your body recover from the effort.

As far as the stuffiness, don't be surprised if you come down with a cold.  When you've pushed yourself that hard, it stresses your immune system, which means you could definitely catch something.

2005-06-27 9:43 AM

New user
See now if you had taken the centrum with all that extra vitamin C you may not have gotten this cold . Just take this lesson to heart.

A good rule of thumb that I always keep when riding is 1 bottle of a sports drink mix w/ 1 cliff bar per hour.
2005-06-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: #183981

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
shadowfax - 2005-06-26 5:38 PM
Anyways my triathlete goddess of a sister is pregnant and GAVE me her Javalin tri bike (her dh is buying her a new bike upon delivery of a male heir - his exact words, but I digress, she will get the new bike even if it's a girl).

I need to review this line in my contract with DH as I have already produced a robust male heir and do not yet have the bike of my dreams. Thanks for pointing it out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70 miler!!! Rss Feed