General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mirena? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-21 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: Mirena?
I did a search and see that a few of you are using this. My other research has scared the crap out of me--all kinds of horror stories of weight gain, pain, bad skin, low libido, etc etc.

Those of you have tried it or know someone who has, what are your thoughts? I'm done with the pill (20 years of it and started to have some side effects like hot flashes and insomnia--they are gone since quitting) and probably not up for a permanent BC solution. Dr has given me info on Mirena and Paragard, but I'm leaning toward Mirena.

Thanks!

2010-04-21 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2807981

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Mirena?

I have a Mirena. I love it! It's my second one. I took the first one out after about 18mos to try to conceive again and we succeeded in the first cycle.

I had zero weight gain, a bit of cramping when it went in but no other pain, my skin is luminous (if I do say so myself...), my libido waxes and wanes but I attribute that more to my crazy schedule and two young children than I do to the Mirena. It lightened my period to the point of it basically being a non-issue. If/when we have a third child, I will get a Mirena again afterwards until my husband gets the snip.

ETA - I did spot for almost 12 whole weeks after it went in though. That was kind of annoying. But that's my only complaint.

Edited by trysprintolympic 2010-04-21 5:48 PM
2013-06-17 3:35 PM
in reply to: trysprintolympic

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Just got mine installed today, and I agree, the reviews online are VERY scary. But as a Triathlete, my main goal is to decrease the amount of flow so I don't have to worry about 'spillage' while on a 4 hours bike ride or 2 hour run.

I will keep ya posted! LOL.
2013-06-17 9:31 PM
in reply to: tabbs

User image

Queen BTich
I'm on my second, and debating if I want a third. It's the only kind of BC I'll use. No complaints or reasons not to get a 3rd, just need to find out if I really need it.

No weight gain for me, in fact, QUITE the opposite. I gained a ton of weight on the 3mo shots (don't remember what they were called). Went off them, lost 20lbs in 6mo without trying.

The only negative side effects I had were a couple of ovarian cysts after the first one. Only was one intolerable that required Dr. attention, but it ended up rupturing on its own. Still, it didn't require surgical intervention, so no real complaints. The "pros" of not having to worry about real periods (I only have light spotting for a day or two) and no pregnancy for 10 years far outweigh that 'con'.
2013-06-18 9:12 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I got Mirena last July.  I hate it and am going to have it taken out.  My husband has just scheduled a vasectomy, and as soon as his stuff is g2g, it's coming out, maybe before.

For me it has meant:

• Spotting/periods about 50% of the time--still, almost 12 months later.
  • Horrible cramps, much worse than without
  • Decreased performance the two days before and two days after my "period" --except  I have roughly two  periods, that's right two distinct bleeding periods per month.  Suckage.
  • The first six months my husband would also get, um, poked--took two adjustments, and then it still wasn't right for a while.  At the risk of TMI, some positions are still not possible :/  (If this was the only thing that was an issue, it would not be a deal breaker.)

I feel like I have given it a full year, and I'm just done.  If you do it, I hope your experience is very different than mine :)

2013-08-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: tabbs

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Originally posted by tabbs

Just got mine installed today, and I agree, the reviews online are VERY scary. But as a Triathlete, my main goal is to decrease the amount of flow so I don't have to worry about 'spillage' while on a 4 hours bike ride or 2 hour run.

I will keep ya posted! LOL.

So far 2 months in and I JUST stopped spotting (a whole 3 days now)....UGH. That was a little much. Nice to finally have a break. I hope that this is IT now!!!!!!!

On the flip side the amount of flow has decreased significantly making it SO MUCH easier to workout and race. Four hours on the bike is great now !

2013-08-15 6:34 AM
in reply to: k_hase

User image

i've had mine for nearly 5 years now - i'm due to have it changed at the end of the year. when I was in the military and deploying it was pretty much the only BC option for me - my docs tried me on like 10 different types of pills over the years and I would get migranes that knocked me on my for several days - I also had a reaction to the patch. The Navy won't do Depo Provera any more (the 3 month shot) and I didn't know if i was going to be in a place where I had ready access to a refrigerator for NuVring (since it has to be kept cold).

I love it - it was painful the first week or so after I had it implanted - mostly because I've never had kids and according to my doc, they normally don't like giving it to kidless women, but after that - no issues - I think I maybe spotted for the first 2 months, but no more than like 2 days and it was super light. I've had no weight-gain (in fact, I ended up losing like 20lbs), my boobs were already big so that wasn't an issue
2013-08-15 8:40 AM
in reply to: k_hase

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I had a devil of a time getting it in--the doctor went through three (yes, three...so it was uncomfortable and a long process). Plus, I haven't had kids, and apparently my uterus is both tipped and rotated or some such? (Like there's two ways your uterus can pint all whakatoodle. Mine takes advantage of both. Who knew??)

Anyway...mine took probably a year before things evened out. I have pretty much no period now, save for maybe a day or two every so often. A box of 40 OBs lasts me more than a year :D I DO get some cramping abdominal pain at the same time, which I never did before. Also, it does not control my ovarian cysts, which will occasionally flare up again. And I get yeast infections a LOT. Basically, they precede every "period". Correlation/causation, don't know...but...

Eh, it's easy, it's (probably) not going to cause a stroke or whatever, and it's cost effective, so it's about the best option.
2013-08-15 5:31 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Master
PNW
I had the Mirena for just shy of 5 years. Insertion was horrible (another non-mom here) and I had cramping for a few days but after that, nothing. I never had another period the whole time I had it. My husband also got 'poked' even after two adjustments but we made do because it was way easier on me than the previous 20 years of BCP.

Depo shot was a disaster for me.

I didn't actually gain weight on the Mirena, but I had a terrible time trying to lose it. Since my weight normally fluctuates a little over time, I ended up with a net gain because I think it made it virtually impossible for me to lose. Over 5 years, it was about 15 lbs. After I had it removed (H got the big V), 10 lbs dropped off me effortlessly.

While I wouldn't do it again now that I know how awesome I feel on ZERO hormonal BC, it was worth it at the time and better than all the other alternatives out there.

I had a friend who got a Paraguard IUD at the same time I got the Mirena. She had very heavy periods for the whole time she had it in, but she had zero weight gain. I think she was happy with it, but we kind of lost touch about the time she had it removed so I don't know what her end feelings were on it.
2013-08-15 8:12 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Ladies, I just got mine out today and I think I feel better already :)

I fully admit  I am princess-and-the-pea about some things, but hormonal BC just doesn't jive with my body. 

MMrocker, really interesting about the yeast infections.  I had maybe two yeast infections my whole life prior to Mirena, and in the last year of having it, I have had over 15.  My doctor had never heard of that as a side effect, and she attributed it to my tri training; I did also start tri training a year ago, but I have been an athlete my whole life, so I don't think that's it.  Weird.

2013-08-15 9:55 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I've gotten them forever--but they were only a few a year, and always seasonal...almost like an allergy. But once I got the MIrena, they were constant--at least one a month, sometimes more. And I've been an athlete my entire life, and have been cycling/multisporting for 12 years, which is way longer than the Mirena.

I wonder if it's some sort of foreign-body reaction or something.

2013-08-15 10:06 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Regular
LHOTP
That is really interesting. My doc and I discussed this today. I wondered if somehow the irritation changed the pH making it more conducive to yeast infections. We have an n of 2 now; )
2013-08-16 12:19 AM

User image

Elite

Had mine about 3 months.

Insertion was uncomfortable but not unbearable (yes I am a mum) in fact my doc won't insert in non mums without a general anaesthetic.

Bled badly for 12 days straight.

Then nothing - at all since then.

I am super happy - went through a year of very weird hormonal symptoms last year resulting in anxiety and depression.  I now feel great.

Doc says I'm unlikely to have another period so that's nice to know!

No yeast infections though had one before I got it...I've only had two in my whole entire life

2013-08-16 7:00 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Originally posted by jobaxas

Had mine about 3 months.

Insertion was uncomfortable but not unbearable (yes I am a mum) in fact my doc won't insert in non mums without a general anaesthetic.

Bled badly for 12 days straight.

Then nothing - at all since then.

I am super happy - went through a year of very weird hormonal symptoms last year resulting in anxiety and depression.  I now feel great.

Doc says I'm unlikely to have another period so that's nice to know!

No yeast infections though had one before I got it...I've only had two in my whole entire life

damn, I wish (no not really) that mine had knocked me out to do it...lol! he did give me a drug that softened things up down there - I had to take it like an hour before my appointment - then he told me to take it easy over the weekend - so I went out and ran a 10k (I'd registered for it like 4 months before and I wasn't going to not do it) - I missed my goal time by 40 seconds - which considering everything, I was ok with
2013-08-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Question to those of you who stopped using Mirena--how long after removal before you had your first "real" period? I just got mine out on Wednesday, and I now am on day 2 of the heaviest period I've ever had.
2013-08-19 3:20 PM

User image

Master
PNW
It was a couple of days before I got my first one after removal and it was fairly heavy (and crampy). After that, they got easier but it took me a couple of months to get on a normal schedule. That was 5 years ago and now my periods are like clockwork and extremely light. I'm old now though (45) so YMMV.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mirena? Rss Feed