General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suunto T6D vs Garmin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-21 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: Suunto T6D vs Garmin
So right now I have a 305 but I like toys and have a good discount with Suunto.  I can get the T6D for about $270.  I see the Suunto is a lot higher priced and have pods.  Suunto owners, what is so great about Suunto to make them worth the cash? 

2010-04-21 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2808427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lenexa, KS
Subject: RE: Suunto T6D vs Garmin
I have got to say - nothing special about Suunto. I purchased the T6C a while back and have not really been that impressed. Things I have are the heart rate strap, foot pod, and the GPS pod. I had the foot pod first and found that I could never get it calibrated very well. I just gave up on that and lived with the error. I bought the GPS pod and it works a little better, but I find that I cannot really use the current speed because it jumps all over - I can really only use it for mile splits, which seem to be OK.

As for the HR, it seems that when I start working out, it always has the HR peak at about 190 bpm for about 5 min and somehow it settles down. I know my HR isn't that high that early in a workout.

I guess the short story from me is - I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. I was actually thinking of replacing it with a Garmin unit of some sort.

2010-04-21 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I also had issue's with the Footpod on my T6C, the GPS work very well but it can be very jumpy during a run. One of it's advantages is a built in altimeter for measuring elevation which Garmin lacks. That's an important training data point for me. It's also just a watch size and is waterproof, which for racing I like a lot. I could never use the Garmin product from swim start to finish. I never have had an issue with the HR strap. I bought my wife a 305 as she only uses it for the run and has a Polar on the bike. For pacing the run, the Garmin is much better and I used to pace the 3:30 RnR Marathon group this Jan. The split information and options on the SUUNTO I think are better as well, but I am not as familiar with the newer 310's and their features. From the standpoint of a training and racing device, I still prefer the SUUNTO. The T6D with GPS is all you really need, forget the FootPod and the BikePod.

Full disclosure i am sponsored by them as well.

Edited by bryancd 2010-04-21 6:51 PM
2010-04-21 7:13 PM

User image

Regular
I have the Suunto T3c, which I was excited to get. I haven't been too disappointed but there are a couple of concerns. I don't know if the T6C has a different crystal or face, but my watch scratches way too easily. I no longer wear it for anything but training and I transport and store it in a neoprene sunglass case. It seems to scratch if I just think of brushing up against something.On a lesser note, I wish I could figure out some basic stopwatch functions that I would assume all trainers would have. I can start and stop my workout and run laps throughout, but I would like to not have to exit or reset that and run a stopwatch seperately sometimes.The waterproof feature is sweet and in my opinion necessary. I wear the watch surfing and have never had trouble.I am considering adding a GPS pod but secretly just want to get a Garmin 310XT and call it good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suunto T6D vs Garmin Rss Feed