General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crash during tri, what would you have done? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-26 6:29 PM

User image

Subject: Crash during tri, what would you have done?
The bike course of today's tri was an out and back. There were alot of volunteers doing a great job, and some cops directing traffic. During one section, though, there was no one for about 3/4 of a mile or so........

During this section I heard a shriek and a crash, and saw out of the corner of my eye two women going the opposite direction go down, appeared to b a novice and an experienced triathlete. No idea what happened, but people were passing slower people at a pretty good clip.... I looke back and there was a tangle of bodies and bikes on the ground. What I saw of it, and what I heard, it wasn't just scraped knees. One rider going the other way had already stopped, and others were approaching the scene.

I looked back, unsure what to do ( I wasn't thinking about time, I'm not a podium stander). I don't know First Aid, etc. I thought that the best thing I could do would be to get to the next volunteer/cop ASAP and inform them. This turned out to be at th turnaround, about 5-7 minutes away. Two guys passed me, and I figured good, the officials will learn that much sooner. Turns out, when I got there and told them, they hadn't heard yet :^

Guess my conscience is getting to me that I should have stopped, although there was nothing I could do at the scene.... Gave me a good incentive to ride as fast as I could. When I made it back that way, cops were there putting a neck brac on the inexperienced rider, as the experienced one looked on.

Anyway, guess this is just my confessional......

Edited by ChrisM 2005-06-26 6:29 PM

2005-06-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: #183975

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Crash during tri, what would you have done?

Wow! that is a tough question.   I think you had the right idea, get to the next station and let officials know.  Since you said you didn't know first aid.......and if you had tried stopping, you might have got rear ended...

If I saw that it wasn't a catastrophic (serious injury-like a car hitting a biker) I would have kept going, until you see a cop or official.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2005-06-26 6:55 PM
2005-06-26 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm a firefighter/EMT for a fairly large city, and if it is any consolation we put neck braces on close near anyone who has fallen. In my 11 years I have only seen a small handful of what I thought could be a serious neck injury - so don't let that worry you. I think you did the right thing - got help.
2005-06-26 6:49 PM
in reply to: #183982

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-26 7:25 PM

molto veloce mama
if you hadn't kept going, who knows who would have been the next person to stop and tell the race officials (if anyone would have). you helped by keeping going, especially if you saw people already stopping to help.
2005-06-26 7:30 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

You did the right thing.  You knew you couldn't help and went to find someone who could.  If you had stopped it may have made things worse with more people at the scene etc.

2005-06-26 7:35 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
I would have done what you did.

From what I know, it is advised that non-professionals do not try to administer first aid unless it is perceived to be a life-threatening situation. This is in regards to the victim's health and your liability.

You (and I) would have likely provided nothing more than temprorary emotional support. I would bet most triathletes would rather everyone enjoy their race and not be distracted by their situation. No one wants to be the reason why someone else did not have a good race.
2005-06-26 8:09 PM

Veteran
Memphis, TN
knowing someone was already stopping to check on the fallen riders, I believe you did the appropriate thing by riding on to the nearest race official/volunteer and reporting the incident.

In an event I did last fall, a guy had a low speed fall off the bike right in front of me. I slowed down and asked if he was ok..he said he was fine( although he seemed pretty embarrassed...pride severely damaged) and i rode on. if he had been hurt I would have stopped and done what i could for him and expected other riders to do what you did and report the incident to race officials as quickly as possible.
2005-06-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #184019

Veteran
Memphis, TN
TripleThreat - 2005-06-26 6:35 PM

I would have done what you did.

From what I know, it is advised that non-professionals do not try to administer first aid unless it is perceived to be a life-threatening situation. This is in regards to the victim's health and your liability.

You (and I) would have likely provided nothing more than temprorary emotional support. I would bet most triathletes would rather everyone enjoy their race and not be distracted by their situation. No one wants to be the reason why someone else did not have a good race.

Triple and all, there is a law called the Good Samaritan Act that protects non professionals from liability when rendering aid to someone who has been in an accident. I personally would appreciate other racers to atleast ask me if I'm ok. If I can respond I will let you know if I could use some assistance or not. If I can't respond...PLEASE STOP AND HELP ME TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY!
2005-06-26 8:45 PM

Regular
Grand Prairie, Texas
Chris, you're a good guy. You did what you could. I don't see anyone else agonizing over this, posting on BT, placing their heart on an international cutting board or, for that matter, doing much else. You say others were going by, hey, you have the heart to tell those who can do something.

Rest well tonight, sir. Hope you raced well. Keep clear of those riders who can upset an entire season of training with one momentary lapse of concentration, but I am touched to know there are good guys like you that really do have the heart, the concern and the sense to tell someone who can help.

Don't we have enough rubber neckers in this world who have nothin' better to do but just make a small "fender bender" a complete mess!!

2005-06-26 9:08 PM

Master
Like a car crash or a school fight, if you are not one of the first, or highly qualified to help, people there, reporting is probably MUCH better than becoming part of a crowd of onlookers.

You did the right thing, plus you have a good conscience.

2005-06-27 12:18 AM

Expert
Portland,OR

Chris,

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I'm a paramedic in So Cal and while I'm not legally obligated to stop, I am morally obligated to stop.  Even so, there really isn't much I could have done without proper equipment that anyone else could have done as well.  As others have said, if others had already stopped, the best course of action was to go get the appropriate help.  My answer would be different if 1)you were the only one there 2) you knew some sort of CPR/First Aid (Which you should BTW :-)) or 3) the victims involved were unconscious or looked to be severely hurt.  None of those things were the case so I say, no big deal!

BTW - How was the race?

2005-06-27 10:57 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I'll echo everyone else's thing... If you can't do something medically, go find someone who can. That's what those medical volunteers are for. In my last race, a lady face planted on the run about 30 feet ahead of me. I slowed down enough to ask her if she was OK (as she was getting up and continuing her run) and she said that she was. She didn't look to be wobling or anything crazy as she ran off, but I did tell the next volunteer I saw and that was the end of my involvement. Had she been seriously injured, I would have done the same thing. Run and tell someone, then take them back to the scene. Once they have it under control, it's time to get back to the race... I do have some medical training (FA/CPR/AED/O2/blah/blah/blah/blah), but it's certainly not enough to be of tonnes of use in the wrong situation. Since I'm just there for fun, I would probably stop to help in case of a serious injury, but that's only because I would be able to and that's only if the volunteer would have needed/wanted a hand - it's amazing what you can improvise with a frame pump, and inner-tube and a pair of socks

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2005-06-27 11:01 AM
2005-06-27 7:23 PM

Yeah, I agree with what has been said here. Other people had already stopped and you did help by letting the volunteers know. I'm just amazed that the people who passed you didn't slow down for a few seconds to let the volunters know. So, If I am ever injured or stopped to help someone who is, I will be sure to TELL someone to let the volunteers know.
2005-06-27 10:26 PM

Veteran
Ventura, California
Hey Chris...

Pretty sure I saw the crash that you were talking about and it did not look good at all. By the time I passed it 2 CHP were there and when I made the turn at 5th Street a paramedic, fire truck, and ambulance passed me. When I passed the crash they were immobilizing her and putting her on a stretcher. Said a quick prayer and rode on.

You did the right thing...there are professionals to handle those situations...
2005-06-27 10:49 PM
in reply to: #185017

Expert
Portland,OR

Chris,

Just to try to put your mind at ease, don't be too concerned about the fact that paramedics, et al were there.  You can expect that race organizers are going to CYA and call 911 for anything.  Likewise, paramedics will likely immobilize anyone having the slightest neck or back pain if not to improve pt care put also because of liability issues.  I'm sure all involved will be up and about in no time, if they aren't already.

2005-06-27 10:52 PM

Thanks all. Just making sure my gut was correct

I know enough that with any type of potential neck/back injury, any movement might make the situation worse. I just feel sorry for the woman though. As I was walking through the Transition area at the end, I thought "someone's stuff is still gonna be here at the end." Yeah, officials will pick it up, but still.....

And Dave, I should probably sign up for one of your classes....

Chris

Edited by ChrisM 2005-06-27 10:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crash during tri, what would you have done? Rss Feed