Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I was so happy. After worrying for days about this OW swim, I had no trouble at all. I'm glad that I got my wetsuit trial last week, though-I think I've been to Sasamat Lake 4 of the past 7 days; no hard training, just getting used to the feel of the wetsuit, the feel of the water, etc. I think it helped a lot.
I was not fast, but not DNF either. I was careful not to start too fast because I wasn't sure how comfortable I was going to be, and I didn't want to mess up my breathing. I don't know my time yet, but I think my pace was okay, and I wasn't zig-zagging all over the place. I sighted every 21 to 30 strokes, and that worked fairly well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I feel really good about sucking it up and getting out there, since my first OW swim left me considering the duathlon.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 40 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

The course was fairly hilly, but I actually found myself enjoying most of it. I passed a few people on the uphills, and a few passed me on the flats. I think I finished in about the same position as I started (sitting on the bike, feet in the pedals . . .). I have definitely gotten faster since Panorama, and although this was 40 km while Panorama was 30, today felt like less.
I drank most of my water and managed to eat all of the protein bar, which I have had trouble doing in training.

Push harder on the flats, and work on cornering. I wasn't super comfortable with cornering at high speed; I slowed down a fair bit each time, after checking that no one was close behind me. Luckily no one was.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I felt so good once I started running. I LOVE running, and knowing that the last leg is my strongest is a real mental boost. My second lap was good; about 20 min, faster than I thought I would be when I saw the clock after the first lap.

Go a bit harder in the first half. I think my split was almost 5 minutes (negative).
Post race
Warm down:

Oops. I knew I forgot something. Uhh . . . I guess I walked around a little.

Event comments:

Beautiful course, and most of the volunteers were wonderful. A few intersections could have been better marshalled.

Last updated: 2005-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full body
Course: Along the bay at Crescent Beach (so, in the Pacific Ocean). Under a pier, out past two log-things, and back.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 40 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps of a 20-k course. The first half hilly, the second half gentle swells. Some of the locals came out to cheer us on, and there was one cute kid banging a hockey stick for us.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Course: Flat, along the beach and past the train tracks. Two laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 8:23 PM

BC/NS
Subject: Crescent Beach Triathlon

2005-07-18 2:30 PM
in reply to: #184064

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Crescent Beach Triathlon
How did I miss this race report? This is the race that I have always wanted to do since I was a little kid as it is in my hometown and is the race that I first new about and watched. Unfortunately I haven't had an oppportunity to do it yet. Maybe next year?

Great race. Way to go for finishing under 3 hours. I couldn't see your specific split times, but your run sounds fantastic.

Jen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Beach Triathlon Rss Feed