Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-04-26 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2815088

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Execution by firing squad?
TriAya - 2010-04-25 2:33 PM There's a lot of interesting information and evidence regarding which is the least "barbaric" (as in, the deathee suffers the least) ... but also regarding what's least barbaric for executioners to perform.

Which poor sods have got to shoot this guy?

And who cares how this one guy dies when the U.S. winds up killing a bunch of kids in Iraq and Afghanistan as "collateral damage"?

We *have* hashed and rehashed the DP here many times (and in this thread too) ... so I'll try to keep it VAGUELY on topic (heh) ...

Here in Indonesia, most executions are carried out by firing squad. And since we've started killing and sentencing to death for drug offenses, the availability and problems and associated problems with drug abuse on this island (not so much Java) have gone WAY down.

I'm not saying this would work anywhere in America. I'm not saying we should have it here. And I'm pretty strongly opposed to the DP for drug offenses.

But ... here ... it kinda worked.

I remember a sotry about a Hong Kong ganster, who smuggled drugs between HK and all around S.E. Asia.  In HK, the worst one can get is to be locked away for life, and it usually doesn't apply to drug trafficking. And if the gangster got busted, the godfather or whoever runs the mafia would take care of his family. So the gangster thought the in the worst case he would be in jail, get free food and TV paid by the tax payer, and not to worry about his family.  Great. 
He got busted in Indonesia (or was it Malaysia?) and had to face trialed locally. 
He got the death penalty. 

ETA:  moral of the story is, if you are going to commit a crime, check the local law before you act. 

Edited by D.K. 2010-04-26 7:10 AM

2010-04-26 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2814228

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
ChineseDemocracy - 2010-04-24 3:14 PM

How many people in prison for life with no parole have murdered again?  I think it's the same number.  

Actually it is not.

Christopher Scarver killed Jeffrey Dahmer and another inmate while in jail.

There are specific prison gangs that recruit from other gang-members while they are in prison.
Aryan Brotherhood, La Eme (Mexican Mafia), etc. all perform and coordinate murders in/from jail.

Thomas Silverstein killed a prison guard while in a Supermax.

Edited by eabeam 2010-04-26 8:19 AM
2010-04-26 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2815088

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TriAya - 2010-04-25 1:33 PM

There's a lot of interesting information and evidence regarding which is the least "barbaric" (as in, the deathee suffers the least) ... but also regarding what's least barbaric for executioners to perform.

Which poor sods have got to shoot this guy?

And who cares how this one guy dies when the U.S. winds up killing a bunch of kids in Iraq and Afghanistan as "collateral damage"?

We *have* hashed and rehashed the DP here many times (and in this thread too) ... so I'll try to keep it VAGUELY on topic (heh) ...

Here in Indonesia, most executions are carried out by firing squad. And since we've started killing and sentencing to death for drug offenses, the availability and problems and associated problems with drug abuse on this island (not so much Java) have gone WAY down.

I'm not saying this would work anywhere in America. I'm not saying we should have it here. And I'm pretty strongly opposed to the DP for drug offenses.

But ... here ... it kinda worked.

That’s a great point, but I think there’s a big difference in the deterrent value of the DP for drug offenses vs capital murder.

I bet if we imposed the death penalty for parking violations or for trying bring more than 12 items through the express checkout lane at the grocery store, you’d see a significant decrease in those offenses as well.

I think that someone who’s considering becoming a drug dealer would be much more likely to think twice if he knows that the penalty for getting caught with a backpack full of crystal meth is the electric chair. There are other ways to make a living, even as a criminal, than one where you can be executed if you get busted. On the other hand, someone who rapes and murders a thirteen year old probably isn’t one to be thoughtfully considering his options prior to committing the crime.

Having said all that, I’m fine with the idea that CP is a punishment, and that it has no deterrent value. I think the whole notion that we kill someone to prevent them from killing again is, like the justification of more “humane” methods of CP, essentially BS. We kill people because some crimes are so heinous that to take that person’s life is really the only way we can appropriately punish them in a way that equates to what they did. I’m ok with that, more or less.

My main objection comes from the fact that, while the death penalty is 100% effective, the judicial system is not.

As much as I think that CP is justifiable in some cases, to me, the fact that even one innocent person has been or will be executed is enough to justify abolishing capital punishment.
2010-04-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2813439

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

ChineseDemocracy - 2010-04-23 10:01 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-23 11:47 PM I have reservations about the death penalty, although I'm for it in principle. I don't think you can support the death penalty but be squeamish about the methods used. To say, "Well, it's ok for the State to execute people, but I think they should do it in a sterile, bloodless, pain-free way," makes no sense to me. Homicide is brutal and ugly and horrifying, whether it's carried out by an individual or by the State. I think more people would question whether capital punishment ought to exist if we weren't so clinical about the way we execute people. I have to believe that there are a lot of people who whole-heartedly support CP who might feel differently if they had to stand under a gallows and watch someone swing. Strapping someone down to a gurney and injecting them full of drugs isn't any less barbaric than putting someone in front of a wall and shooting them, IMO. It's too easy for us to say, "we're not like those other countries (like Saudi Arabia)" because we sterilize the process, but the end result is the same.

Nice post jmk.

Growing up I used to be pro capital punishment...but then I saw the research.  It's well-established that CP does not have a deterrent effect.  It just doesn't.  The typical criminal on the street, in that split-second before they decide to off somebody, is not thinking about what's going to happen next.  Heck, even the cold-blooded ones who are planning it all out are just trying to make it as clean as possible to avoid any finger implicating them as the trigger-man (or woman).

Killing the criminals doesn't bring loved ones back. 

But it does prevent the chance of them ever committing a crime again...

2010-04-26 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2813382

User image

Pro
Houston
I am against the death penalty, I am one of those who thinks it's wrong to take any life and again, especially here in Texas there have been cases where an innocent or at least not guilty person was executed.  Imagine if you were part of that family.  I would also worry about the shooters.  I would imagine they take volunteers for such a job but some people have a change of heart afterwards or even later in life and I wouldn't want to put that on somebody.

I do wonder though if anybody ever thought about 'assisted' suicide?  Seems to me you could put someone in solitary (concrete room like I see in the movies) and give them a gun with one bullet (though the slot to the concerete room like I see in the movies).  Not a proponent of suicide but if someone is in prison and wants to take their own life who are we to stand in their way.  I am sure this isn't as cheap as 'swift and immediate justice' because the person would have to be proven mentally capable of making the decision first but I would think that would be cheaper than the mandatory appeals with the death penalty.

For safety reasons they would obviously have to be in some sort of concrete cell, only one bullet and they don't come out until the bullet is spent whether on themselves or in the room.

It would be interesting to see how many inmates would take up this offer.  We hear a lot of 'I want to die' but do they have the courage to follow though.
2010-04-26 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2816341

User image

Master
Denver
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-26 7:20 AM 

That’s a great point, but I think there’s a big difference in the deterrent value of the DP for drug offenses vs capital murder. I bet if we imposed the death penalty for parking violations or for trying bring more than 12 items through the express checkout lane at the grocery store, you’d see a significant decrease in those offenses as well. I think that someone who’s considering becoming a drug dealer would be much more likely to think twice if he knows that the penalty for getting caught with a backpack full of crystal meth is the electric chair. There are other ways to make a living, even as a criminal, than one where you can be executed if you get busted. On the other hand, someone who rapes and murders a thirteen year old probably isn’t one to be thoughtfully considering his options prior to committing the crime. Having said all that, I’m fine with the idea that CP is a punishment, and that it has no deterrent value. I think the whole notion that we kill someone to prevent them from killing again is, like the justification of more “humane” methods of CP, essentially BS. We kill people because some crimes are so heinous that to take that person’s life is really the only way we can appropriately punish them in a way that equates to what they did. I’m ok with that, more or less. My main objection comes from the fact that, while the death penalty is 100% effective, the judicial system is not. As much as I think that CP is justifiable in some cases, to me, the fact that even one innocent person has been or will be executed is enough to justify abolishing capital punishment.

x2.  I find it ironic that many of the people who are so distrustful of the government in every other circumstance have such absolute trust in it in this one particular area.  Apparently the government isn't competant enough to deliver the mail or get healthcare right but when it comes to something that involves life and death it's infallable. 

2010-04-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2816390

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
KeriKadi - 2010-04-26 9:33 AM I am against the death penalty, I am one of those who thinks it's wrong to take any life and again, especially here in Texas there have been cases where an innocent or at least not guilty person was executed. 

... ?

Do you mean "innocent or at least not convicted" ?  
2010-04-26 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Keri, I think I would argue that the incarceration was part of the punishment and that giving them the choice adds a level of free will to their situation that I don’t think that the convicted criminal ought to be entitled to.

I also think that something like that is just another way of sanitizing it. We, as a society, get to soothe whatever collective guilt we may feel about having killed another person because “we” didn’t actually pull the trigger.

Velocomp, and others-
Life in prison without parole prevents them from committing another crime as well, at least against the general public.

Regarding the argument about prisoners killing guards and other prisoners, the fact is,any convict is capable of killing another person on the inside—not just those convicts on death row or who are sentenced to life w/out parole. Unless you’re saying that everyone who goes to prison should be executed, I don’t think that protecting guards and other inmates from these “desperate men with nothing to lose” is, in and of itself, a compelling reason to sentence someone to death vs sentencing them to life w/out parole.
2010-04-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2813593

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
ChineseDemocracy - 2010-04-24 8:16 AM

NXS - 2010-04-24 7:02 AM Several years ago a friend's parents were brutally murdered in their bedroom.  What they went through was beyond belief.  The two murderers were convicted and put to death.  I don't care if it is or isn't a deterrent, those two did not deserve to live in our society.  Its about punishment, not deterrence.

I don't think anyone advocated allowing murderers to "live in our society."  Ideally, I'd like to see them live long, miserable lives in isolation and harsh conditions.  Never seeing or hearing another human's voice.  No books, tv, pen, paper, etc.  Nothing.  They deserve misery...not to be put out of their misery...in my opinion.

If this was given to me as an option, I would choose death. My choice is if found guilty and sentenced to death, then do it quickly and elliminate death row all together. I for one would like to see capital punishment taken even further. Would love to see more proof that it doesn't work in other countries. All we know is that death sentence doesn't work as deterent in US under current process. Who said castration for sexual crimes doesn't work? We have never tried it (legally) in this country

2010-04-26 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2817053

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
cardenas1 - 2010-04-26 11:49 AM

ChineseDemocracy - 2010-04-24 8:16 AM

NXS - 2010-04-24 7:02 AM Several years ago a friend's parents were brutally murdered in their bedroom.  What they went through was beyond belief.  The two murderers were convicted and put to death.  I don't care if it is or isn't a deterrent, those two did not deserve to live in our society.  Its about punishment, not deterrence.

I don't think anyone advocated allowing murderers to "live in our society."  Ideally, I'd like to see them live long, miserable lives in isolation and harsh conditions.  Never seeing or hearing another human's voice.  No books, tv, pen, paper, etc.  Nothing.  They deserve misery...not to be put out of their misery...in my opinion.

If this was given to me as an option, I would choose death. My choice is if found guilty and sentenced to death, then do it quickly and elliminate death row all together. I for one would like to see capital punishment taken even further. Would love to see more proof that it doesn't work in other countries. All we know is that death sentence doesn't work as deterent in US under current process. Who said castration for sexual crimes doesn't work? We have never tried it (legally) in this country

Because our legal system doesn’t work under the premise of “an eye for an eye”. We don’t cut the hands off of thieves, or castrate rapists or kill murderers, except in rare cases. We imagine ourselves as being more civilized than Hammurabi’s Code, circa 1790BC.

While I understand the punishment/revenge concept, my objection would be the same, which is that castration has 100% effectiveness, while our judicial system does not. I’m not comfortable with the idea of “trying out” something like that. I don’t want the same judicial system who thought it was appropriate to force a dad to register as a sex offender for taking pictures of his kids in the bathtub or who thought it made sense to send an 18-year old black kid to prison for having consensual sex with his 17 year old white girlfriend to be making decisions about cutting people’s testicles off.
2010-04-26 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2816517

User image

Champion
PA
drewb8 - 2010-04-26 10:16 AM
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-26 7:20 AM 

That’s a great point, but I think there’s a big difference in the deterrent value of the DP for drug offenses vs capital murder. I bet if we imposed the death penalty for parking violations or for trying bring more than 12 items through the express checkout lane at the grocery store, you’d see a significant decrease in those offenses as well. I think that someone who’s considering becoming a drug dealer would be much more likely to think twice if he knows that the penalty for getting caught with a backpack full of crystal meth is the electric chair. There are other ways to make a living, even as a criminal, than one where you can be executed if you get busted. On the other hand, someone who rapes and murders a thirteen year old probably isn’t one to be thoughtfully considering his options prior to committing the crime. Having said all that, I’m fine with the idea that CP is a punishment, and that it has no deterrent value. I think the whole notion that we kill someone to prevent them from killing again is, like the justification of more “humane” methods of CP, essentially BS. We kill people because some crimes are so heinous that to take that person’s life is really the only way we can appropriately punish them in a way that equates to what they did. I’m ok with that, more or less. My main objection comes from the fact that, while the death penalty is 100% effective, the judicial system is not. As much as I think that CP is justifiable in some cases, to me, the fact that even one innocent person has been or will be executed is enough to justify abolishing capital punishment.

x2.  I find it ironic that many of the people who are so distrustful of the government in every other circumstance have such absolute trust in it in this one particular area.  Apparently the government isn't competant enough to deliver the mail or get healthcare right but when it comes to something that involves life and death it's infallable. 

You say that like the government is an entity but it's a group of people.  It is a group of people who have proven to be inefficient from a business / financial perspective.  Therefore, it is completely understandable to distrust them IMO.

As far as a life / death perspective, we trust state government to make the determination on abortion, why not the elimination of a murderer?  That would be more ironic, wouldn't it?

2010-04-26 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2817473

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Pector55 - 2010-04-26 1:51 PM

You say that like the government is an entity but it's a group of people.  It is a group of people who have proven to be inefficient from a business / financial perspective.  Therefore, it is completely understandable to distrust them IMO.

Ok, fair enough.

But you didn’t really answer the question—if you accept that the government is a fallible entity made up of fallible individuals, how can you support capital punishment when you know that that same human fallibility will result in people being unjustly executed? Is there a certain amount of “collateral damage” that you’re willing to accept, so long as we get it right most of the time?
2010-04-26 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2817736

User image

Runner
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-26 4:12 PM

Ok, fair enough.

But you didn’t really answer the question—if you accept that the government is a fallible entity made up of fallible individuals, how can you support capital punishment when you know that that same human fallibility will result in people being unjustly executed? Is there a certain amount of “collateral damage” that you’re willing to accept, so long as we get it right most of the time?

Isn't this more an issue with juries and judges, and not government?

I mean, I suppose the prosecutor is part of the government, and technically so is the judge, but the jury is not. The jury determines guilt or innocence, not the government.

In other words, the government may influence the decision, but does not make the decision. It's your peers that suck.
2010-04-26 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
PA

Ok, fair enough. But you didn’t really answer the question—if you accept that the government is a fallible entity made up of fallible individuals, how can you support capital punishment when you know that that same human fallibility will result in people being unjustly executed? Is there a certain amount of “collateral damage” that you’re willing to accept, so long as we get it right most of the time?

It wasn't a question.  He stated what he found ironic and I stated what I find ironic. 

I did however make it clear that finding a person or group of individuals as incompetent in one area doesn't make them incompetent in everything.  I believe in science to lead to convictions where it is "beyond a reasonable doubt."  Why do you hate science? 

2010-04-26 3:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-26 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2817806

Master
Denver
Scout7 - 2010-04-26 2:33 PM

Ok, fair enough. But you didn’t really answer the question—if you accept that the government is a fallible entity made up of fallible individuals, how can you support capital punishment when you know that that same human fallibility will result in people being unjustly executed? Is there a certain amount of “collateral damage” that you’re willing to accept, so long as we get it right most of the time?
Isn't this more an issue with juries and judges, and not government? I mean, I suppose the prosecutor is part of the government, and technically so is the judge, but the jury is not. The jury determines guilt or innocence, not the government. In other words, the government may influence the decision, but does not make the decision. It's your peers that suck.

But not always.  This seems like a good reason to distrust the government.  I guess I was just curious why there is so much faith in the government to carry out justice fairly and impartially, especially in death penalty cases where the stakes are so high but so little faith in it to act the same way otherwise. 

2010-04-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2817848

New user
drewb8 - 2010-04-26 3:49 PM
Scout7 - 2010-04-26 2:33 PM

Isn't this more an issue with juries and judges, and not government? I mean, I suppose the prosecutor is part of the government, and technically so is the judge, but the jury is not. The jury determines guilt or innocence, not the government. In other words, the government may influence the decision, but does not make the decision. It's your peers that suck.

But not always.  This seems like a good reason to distrust the government.  I guess I was just curious why there is so much faith in the government to carry out justice fairly and impartially, especially in death penalty cases where the stakes are so high but so little faith in it to act the same way otherwise. 

I am not tring to put you on the spot, but have you ever served on or been called for jury duty?  Juries take their task very seriously.  I have faith in my peers.  Is the system perfect? No, nothing is ever 100%.  From the little bit I researched, it seems as though more walk after crimes commited than those incarcerated for crimes they didn't commit.  Not supporting the death penalty because there will never be a 100% assurance of guilt seems like throwing out the baby with the bath water.
2010-04-26 8:51 PM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My issue's not with wrongful convictions. I accept that as a consequence of a system that allows me to be tried by a jury of my peers. But wrongful convictions can be overturned, wrongful executions can't be.
2010-04-26 9:12 PM

Listen people..... listen carefully.

Im a Captain for the State of Wisconsin Dept of Corrections.

If I hear one more person reference a prison to a cage Im going to kick you square in the azz

We spend alot of money to keep it clean and functional. Our inmates dont get cable, dont get a lap of luxury, however they are not treated like animals. They can work and make a few dollars a week for what ever they choose to spend it on, but if they have victim fees they have to pay those first.

I hear people talking about throwing away the key, dont give them anything. Well that all sounds great on paper, but who the hell is going to work there? If we dont treat them with some sort of respect as a human (not necessarily a very good productive human) I surely wouldnt be working there.

The pay isnt great, have to work holidays and weekends and you miss all kinds of family events because the prison never closes. Its a thankless job thats for  sure.

On a side note...... I did work at the prison Dahmer and Anderson were killed at. 
2010-04-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2818374

Champion
PA
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-26 9:51 PM My issue's not with wrongful convictions. I accept that as a consequence of a system that allows me to be tried by a jury of my peers. But wrongful convictions can be overturned, wrongful executions can't be.

I agree with you but the very fact that the apeals system generates an argument via the cost, tells me there is quite a few rulings before one actually is executed.  I am with you that I would rather error on the side of allowing a few bad people free in the process to assure the integrity of the system.  However, I would have to see a lot of (CURRENT) cases where circumstantial evidence let to wrongful execution.  If the mindset is to simply lock them up and throw away the key then are you ok with doing that to someone that is innocent?  Is that really that much better?  If you tell me I am going to be in prison the rest of my life or get the death penalty, I personally could flip a coin at those two options. 

For what it's worth, I tend to side more on the innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt kinda guy (see the comments in the Rothlisberger thread).  Not everyone is but liberty is important to me.  I also feel as though the lives of law abiding citizens are worth protecting and that no matter what, there will be some bad people out there.  That's why I also support the second amendment.
2010-04-27 8:15 AM

We learned because of the appeals and burdens on the state it costs more to execute a man than it does to incarcerate him for life.

Now some states have a faster process now with DNA, this was before this became such a huge issue.

I do know it costs Wisconsin approx 35K a year per inmate. Thats the Avg, as some need extensive medical care, others not so much.

Athough I am for the death penalty in certain cases, at some point in my career as I promote, if this were put into place. I may have to actually be the person to throw the switch etc......that may change my opinion on it some. Not sure really. 

2010-04-27 8:54 AM

Hello everyone, I don’t post much and don’t get to COJ to often but just wanted to weigh in on the topic. My Mom was murder when I was 12. One day, I woke up, hugged my mom good-bye and went to school. Just like every school day before that day. During math class I was pulled out of school and taken to the police station to find out that my mom had died. One day your family member is here and the next day your life is completely changed. This happened 27 years ago and my family was completely changed by this event.

This crime took place in Michigan (not a death penalty stated). While in prison, this “person” (I use that term loosely) contracted AIDS and died. I can only hope that it was a slow and painful death.

So for all the people against the death penalty, I have a question for you. Imagine your son or daughter going to school one day, and while at school find out that you had died by someone else’s hand. Do you believe in an eye-for-eye now – knowing that your son or daughter’s life has completely changed and will never be the same because someone thought they had the right to take your life?

Yes I am pro-death penalty and I don’t care how much it costs. In my mind it is money well spent.

2010-04-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2813392

Regular
State College, PA
in2deep - 2010-04-23 11:00 PM Is this a joke? Who cares how they do it. The guy asked for the firing squad. Give it to him. Yesterday.

x2
2010-04-27 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2819173

Champion
PA
Bdlee99 - 2010-04-27 9:54 AM Hello everyone, I don’t post much and don’t get to COJ to often but just wanted to weigh in on the topic. My Mom was murder when I was 12. One day, I woke up, hugged my mom good-bye and went to school. Just like every school day before that day. During math class I was pulled out of school and taken to the police station to find out that my mom had died. One day your family member is here and the next day your life is completely changed. This happened 27 years ago and my family was completely changed by this event. This crime took place in Michigan (not a death penalty stated). While in prison, this “person” (I use that term loosely) contracted AIDS and died. I can only hope that it was a slow and painful death. So for all the people against the death penalty, I have a question for you. Imagine your son or daughter going to school one day, and while at school find out that you had died by someone else’s hand. Do you believe in an eye-for-eye now – knowing that your son or daughter’s life has completely changed and will never be the same because someone thought they had the right to take your life? Yes I am pro-death penalty and I don’t care how much it costs. In my mind it is money well spent.

It doesn't matter how many times I read that, I just can't imagine.  I will say that you reinforced my belief that many people don't put enough focus on the REAL victims and their familes. 
2010-04-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2819511

Master
Denver
Pector55 - 2010-04-27 9:27 AM
Bdlee99 - 2010-04-27 9:54 AM Hello everyone, I don’t post much and don’t get to COJ to often but just wanted to weigh in on the topic. My Mom was murder when I was 12. One day, I woke up, hugged my mom good-bye and went to school. Just like every school day before that day. During math class I was pulled out of school and taken to the police station to find out that my mom had died. One day your family member is here and the next day your life is completely changed. This happened 27 years ago and my family was completely changed by this event. This crime took place in Michigan (not a death penalty stated). While in prison, this “person” (I use that term loosely) contracted AIDS and died. I can only hope that it was a slow and painful death. So for all the people against the death penalty, I have a question for you. Imagine your son or daughter going to school one day, and while at school find out that you had died by someone else’s hand. Do you believe in an eye-for-eye now – knowing that your son or daughter’s life has completely changed and will never be the same because someone thought they had the right to take your life? Yes I am pro-death penalty and I don’t care how much it costs. In my mind it is money well spent.

It doesn't matter how many times I read that, I just can't imagine.  I will say that you reinforced my belief that many people don't put enough focus on the REAL victims and their familes. 

So an innocent person who is put to death is less of a 'real victim'?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Execution by firing squad? Rss Feed  

of 4