Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Execution by firing squad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-04-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2813382

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Execution by firing squad?
The reason the death penalty isn't an effective deterrent is because it's not used frequently enough.

2010-04-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2819173

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Bdlee99 - 2010-04-27 8:54 AM

Hello everyone, I don’t post much and don’t get to COJ to often but just wanted to weigh in on the topic. My Mom was murder when I was 12. One day, I woke up, hugged my mom good-bye and went to school. Just like every school day before that day. During math class I was pulled out of school and taken to the police station to find out that my mom had died. One day your family member is here and the next day your life is completely changed. This happened 27 years ago and my family was completely changed by this event.

This crime took place in Michigan (not a death penalty stated). While in prison, this “person” (I use that term loosely) contracted AIDS and died. I can only hope that it was a slow and painful death.

So for all the people against the death penalty, I have a question for you. Imagine your son or daughter going to school one day, and while at school find out that you had died by someone else’s hand. Do you believe in an eye-for-eye now – knowing that your son or daughter’s life has completely changed and will never be the same because someone thought they had the right to take your life?

Yes I am pro-death penalty and I don’t care how much it costs. In my mind it is money well spent.

If someone murdered a family member of mine, I would wish them a fair and speedy trial, a just and responsible appeal, and, should they be convicted, for them to then be dragged into the parking lot and set on fire.

I can completely understand why anyone who was affected as you were would feel the way you do. I would feel the same, I’m sure. My objection to the death penalty has nothing to do with executing the guilty; it has to do with the execution of innocent people at the hands of a flawed system.

The only thing that I can imagine that would be worse than losing a loved one to a murder is to watch a person be executed for that crime only to find out later on that the person whose execution they witnessed wasn’t responsible for their loved one’s murder after all. Not only do they lose the closure they so hoped to attain, but they were forced to watch the death of another innocent person.

So, yes, I am thinking about the REAL victims as well.
2010-04-27 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks Garceau for putting up with the crap you put up with.
2010-04-27 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

I work next to a woman whose sister was attacked by her husband and stabbed over 40 times while she held her 1 yr. old child. The baby survived after receiving serious injuries, the sister did not.  We've had many conversations about her thoughts and feelings on what she felt was proper justice.....she only wanted to see him in jail for life.  He did get life (with the possiblity of parole) - that "life" sentence meant 20 years for -- get this, manslaughter.... Because he didn't "plan" the murder, he received a lot less years behind bars.  He's up for parole this year (after 17 years) and will probably be released because he's been a model prisoner.

His daughter was raised by my co-worker and she's terrified that he'll try to contact them when he's released.  But she still doesn't believe in the DP - she only wanted to see him in prison for a lot longer than that.  He can still get married, have another family, etc. when he's released.  How is that justice??  I have to say, she has a much better view on this than I would - I'd want to see him hang, personally.

2010-04-27 3:18 PM

User image

I wish I could have the same attitude as the sister. It sounds like she was able to deal with a difficult situation in a productive manner. The daughter was one at the time and is scared for the rest of her life. I’m sorry to hear that…
2010-04-27 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2820566

User image

Elite
brownlab - 2010-04-27 4:02 PM

I work next to a woman whose sister was attacked by her husband and stabbed over 40 times while she held her 1 yr. old child. The baby survived after receiving serious injuries, the sister did not.  We've had many conversations about her thoughts and feelings on what she felt was proper justice.....she only wanted to see him in jail for life.  He did get life (with the possiblity of parole) - that "life" sentence meant 20 years for -- get this, manslaughter.... Because he didn't "plan" the murder, he received a lot less years behind bars.  He's up for parole this year (after 17 years) and will probably be released because he's been a model prisoner.

His daughter was raised by my co-worker and she's terrified that he'll try to contact them when he's released.  But she still doesn't believe in the DP - she only wanted to see him in prison for a lot longer than that.  He can still get married, have another family, etc. when he's released.  How is that justice??  I have to say, she has a much better view on this than I would - I'd want to see him hang, personally.

brownlab, while I don't believe in the death penalty, I believe the most violent felons belong behind bars for their entire life.  It's a shame your co-worker's sister did not get to see that scumbag thrown in jail to rot for life.

jmk is reminding us of that "inconvenient truth..." there are innocents on death row.  There have been, there are, and there always will be.   

2010-04-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2820566

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Sharyn5 2010-04-27 3:30 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Execution by firing squad? Rss Feed  

of 4