Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series
73F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 06m 18s
Overall Rank = 51/492
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/40
Pre-race routine:

Uneventful before leaving the house...breakfast, shower, load up and leave. It was raining when I woke up so I really didn't think the race would even happen. I think this actually helped calm my nerves. It rained really hard on the way to the park...still didn't think it would happen. B and I stopped at a gas station to go to the bathroom and I talked with another racer. He said that the plan would be to stage a 15k running race if the weather was bad...crap, 15k did NOT sound fun this morning!

Got to the park...more rain. I didn't even want to take my bike off the car because I thought I'd just have to put it back on later. The rain stopped about an hour before the race and it was on!
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, I jogged a little bit then went down to the lake and got a few 100 yds in. I was happy to be in an early wave (2nd) so I could see more people finish.
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

2009 Time: 11:07
2010 Time: 11:02

There was a good bit of jostling for position over the 1st 200 yards, but after rounding the 2nd buoy and getting along the longest straightaway I found some good clear water. I was working fairly hard and had a decent rhythm going, but my arms felt fatigued from the start. I never felt like I could pull with the kind of force I'm used to. I think only swimming a few times the last few weeks was why. Overall I was pleased with the swim and ended up beating last year by about 5 seconds and at a easier effort level.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, pushed it just hard enough for how I felt todaye.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

This time is estimated because the rain prevented an accurate breakout of T1, bike & T2 splits. This one was decent for me...wetsuit came off pretty easily and I got out without any major incidents.

Nothing really, just make it faster somehow.
Bike
  • 31m 35s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

2009 Time: 33:39
2010 Time: 31:35

This is the area I have been working the hardest on lately and it's fun to see it paying off. This was my fastest avg speed yet. My legs felt pretty good and recovered from NOLA so I just pushed the pace as much as I could, and as much as the conditions allowed. The rain started coming down pretty hard during parts of this and so I was a little scared to air it out on the descents and really looked like an old man making turns!

I remember last year thinking that the hills on this course were so difficult, but this year they were pretty much in line with those I face on most training rides. I still need to keep working on the bike, but I'm thrilled with my progress over the last six months.

Nothing, I went as fast as I could given the conditions.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Ha! I tried to run out of T2 with my aero helmet on! The volunteer at run out was yelling and pointing to his head...I finally got the message. He was nice enough to take it from me and it was hanging next to my bike after the race. Thanks man!

This was a good transition. I forgot my hat and tried to keep my helmet on, but I got out of there pretty fast.
Run
  • 21m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

2009 Time: 21:53
2010 Time: 21:02

I didn't feel the effects of last weekend until the run today. My goal was to start around 7 min/mile pace and work my way faster. I was able to do close to this, but I lacked the power to get up the hills well and I felt like I was missing my last gear to go faster. I really liked the weather for the run as it was cool and raining. I love running in the rain and will take these conditions over 80+ any day of the week.

Mile 1- 7:18
Mile 2- 7:10
Mile 3- 6:41

It was a good feeling knowing that the pain of race pace was going to last only a short time today...gotta love sprints for that!

Nothing. I think I can run between 20 and 20:30 on fresh legs. Another big improvement over last year though, so I'll take it.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold rain helped me cool down really quickly! I really enjoyed cheering on fellow teammates finishing...love these races when there are a bunch of people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Although there was some residual fatigue from NOLA, I felt pretty good today. I'm very happy with my performance but know I've got lots more room to improve with more training.

Event comments:

Love these TTP races. No huge production involved, but they draw good fields and put on quality events. I'll continue doing those that fit into the schedule. A little disappointed to not have a official bike split, but I had it on my Garmin and it was not the fault of the race organizers. I was just glad to get this race in, given today's nasty weather.

Last updated: 2009-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 656 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/40
Overall: 0/492
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto 2 piece sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Rectangle counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:35 | 11.2 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/40
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Fun loop with 4 miles really fast, a few decent climbs between 4 and 9, then fast back to the park.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:21:02 | 03.1 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/40
Course: Loop course that starts out flat around the lake then has 3 or so hills up and down then finishing back near transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-24 7:57 PM

User image

Smyrna
Subject: John Tanner Sprint

2010-04-24 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2814410

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: John Tanner Sprint
Great job today! You totally kicked butt and have really improved a lot in everything!
2010-04-24 8:18 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
nice job, especially on the bike! way to haul arse on wet pavement!
2010-04-24 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

You are having a hell of a season...great race today.  Look forward to seeing the GC HIM results.  Go get that 5:15!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner Sprint Rss Feed