General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond Triathlon (Olympic Distance) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Langley Pond Triathlon (Olympic Distance) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burnettown, South Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
66.4F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 51m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/
Pre-race routine:

Got a decent night's sleep. Up at 6 for an 8 AM start, 30 minute commute, All set up by 7. Worked well, no rushing.
Event warmup:

Got in a brief swim to acclimate to the water.
Swim
  • 34m 30s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Realized just as I started my Garmin 310, that I had somehow screwed up the MultiSport mode and when I pressed Start, it didn't look like I got a good start on the watch. So I stopped as I was wading in an lost about 5 or 10 seconds and ended up near the back of the pack, which was fine for me since I'm not a fast swimmer. Checked the watch about halfway through and confirmed that I had not got it started right. No real problem other than I wouldn't have a cumulative time for pacing throughout the race, which was the only reason I wore the watch on the swim.

A little worried about hauling out on the dock instead of shore exit. Had hernia surgery in February and really haven't done any lifting myself out of the pool yet. Turned out to be a non-problem, just did my usual manatee roll up on the the low profile dock :-)
What would you do differently?:

Stretch and relax more before the start, get in a longer swim warm-up. Practice the Multisport mode on my Garmin.
Transition 1
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

Loooong run from the swim exit to the T1 area. I would guess it was at least 1/8 mile, at least. I'm still not sure if the runtime is counted with the swim time or with the T1 time. I suspect it goes with the swim time. Had a lot of trouble getting the wetsuit off over the calves and hills, I knew I should have taken it off as soon as I exited the water while it still had that lubricating cushion of water in it, but I didn't see anyone else doing that, everyone stripped down the top and ran to T1. So of course being a slave to peer pressure I once again didn't do what I knew I should have done.

Immediate wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 45s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I noticed while on the bike and later while on the run that my HR was consistently in Z4 and Z5. This was a shocker after spending so many miles over the past several weeks working so hard to stay in Z1 and Z2. I really only spent 2-3% of each event in Z1/Z2......mostly in Z4/Z5; I hope this was o.k, HR training is new to me. I assume it was o.k., it felt good the whole way, and I never felt overexerted. I'm amazed at how competitive I get during a race, trying to reel in those in front and chasing those down who pass me. I'm normally not a competitive biker/runner at all.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Easy T2. Though I did take time to put on socks for the run. Though I always bike sockless, the shoes I raced in had given me some blister issues the one time I tested them without socks, so I didn't want to risk it. I'll figure it out before I do my next sprint.

Nothing.
Run
  • 52m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

No trouble getting my running legs, though I did notice that I was mostly in Z4/Z5, per my earlier comments. At about 4 miles I intentionally backed the pace way down because I suddenly noticed that I was having considerable discomfort where I had hernia surgery a couple of moths ago. I was severe enough to get my attention so I slowed enough to manage the discomfort, decided not to risk a re-injury for a B race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had not really planned to do this race, just mad the decision and signed up 20 days prior to the race. A little unexpected abdominal surgery in February messed up my early season training plans, hence my late decision. And I did no event-specific training for this race, with the possible exception of swim training. I'm training for IMLOU so all of my runs and bike have been done at very low intensity (HR) for the past several weeks.

Event comments:

Great race, great course.

Last updated: 2010-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:30 | 1500 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 97/
Performance: Average
Suit: Ultra John
Course: Rectangular, with a final right turn back into to shore. Three left turns, one right turn. Well marked.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:50
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:45 | 24 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Overall: 0/
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops. 1 long uphill and 1 long downhill on each loop.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:03 | 06.21 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-24 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: Langley Pond Triathlon (Olympic Distance)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond Triathlon (Olympic Distance) Rss Feed