UW Athletics
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 38m 1s
Overall Rank = 1745/20450
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Warmup included waking up in MIlwaukee and driving over to Madison. I met my mom at her house then drove downtown and met my sister. Only got about 4 hours of sleep after working late the night previous. Didn't warmup for even much except some stretching while I waited for my wave (D) to start.
Run
  • 38m 1s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

First off all and most importantly I need to listen carefully to the quote "race your own race", I also over dressed. Those are the only two things I would have changed. I felt everything else went well and this was a good tune up before the half marathon in 5 weeks time.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:01 | 04.97 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/20450
Performance: Good
Course: Alright so I think I may have been seeded high being in wave D which was the fifth out of about 30-40 waves. The first mile was mostly downhill with a small hill .5 miles in that didn't work me too hard. I ran with my pack the first mile and felt absolutely great. HR seemed good was breathing too hard, and my split was around 6:20. I am not sure if this was because it was downhill or what but I was going faster then I needed or wanted to. The second mile included two major climbs up observatory hill. Once again I felt that I ran both of these hills very well and didn't hold back too much on them. My legs felt great, but my HR was definitely spiked from the hard effort. I crossed mile 2 at around 6:30 and this was where my wheels started to fall off a bit. The rest of the course was flat accept a couple of small bumps in the road. I have learned that my legs do not transfer over to flatlands well in these situations. I pushed on and tried to block out the negative thoughts. After I had passed people the first couple miles I was now getting passed, but reminded myself to race my race.Third mile was uneventful and I just tried to settle in and get a good rhythm going. I hit mile 3 at approx 22:40 so my third mile was around a 10 min mile? I know I slowed my pace significantly but maybe this was too slow. 4th mile had an aid station at the beginning which I used and then I kept trying to muscle through the run. For some reason it was here that my right arm started to fall asleep and I am not sure why, the only reason I could make of it was either my shoulder injury pinched a nerve or that I was double wrapped in under armour and that was too much for my shoulder. Since I really didn't need use of the arm except to swing and push me forward I just ignored it and went on. I hit mile 4 at about 30:30 and now knew that I could hit my time goal of 37:30. Maybe I could have pushed a bit harder the last mile and maybe I saved my sprint for too long at the end but my final time was 38:01 which I am happy with since this was my first crazylegs and I didn't know the course going in. I didn't have my watch with me so my splits are all estiimated, but I think it goes something like this. Mile 1 6:20 Mile 2 6:20 Mile 3 9:30 Mile 4 7:50 Mile 5 7:31 I think this adds up to 38:01 and tells a lot. First I obviously went too hard running with my wave the first couple of miles. Secondly mile 3 was rough for me. I think it was because I was running too hard a pace and needed to slow down and that I just went up to hills with a decent backside so my legs were trying to turnover as they did down the hill and recover from the hard effort in the first two miles. I am happy with the final 2 miles though they are 20 seconds in difference it showed I was able to find a good rhythm and go at the pace I wanted. Overall I am happy with this run and feel that I am on track for the half marathon in a month from now.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?