Montgomery County Road Runners Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 115/131
Pre-race routine:

Toast/PB, coffee, water. Got to the race about an hour early, so chilled in the car for awhile.
Event warmup:

Walking, water and Gu
Run
  • 1h 04m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Rain stopped just before the race. Started out in the last wave. Seemed like the weather was keeping people away. Not too crowded. Best training pace since the fall, hamstring injury, and weight gain dropped to 10:45 from my 9:45 10K in the fall. Overall training has been 11:00-11:45 on the 7-10 mile long runs. Race plan was to do 11:00-11:15 for the first 2 miles, then pick it up the next 2, and a little more the next 2. Race goal was 10:45-11:00. based on training. Started out kind of quickly. It just happened, but I didn't feel the need to slow down based on the cool weather and the first 2 miles, which were mostly slightly down hill - pace was around 10:40. Felt ok, but worried about maintaining it, and decided to see if I could hold that. Approaching 3 miles, Diane seemed to be strong, and told her to go on since I wasn't sure about picking up the pace a little. She did, and for the next 2 miles she was only about 15-50 yards ahead of me. Then she took off, and ended up with a strong 10:11 pace overall given her recent IT Band problems. Decided that I wouldn't need to take water, even though it was available at 3, 4 and 5 miles. It was cool and overcase, so did not feel the need at all. There was quite a long grade up towards Congressional Plaza, and another short couple of rises after that until Old Georgetown. A lot more inclines than I would have thought, but they presented no problems. First 2 miles people were passing me constantly, but it's interesing once you get to the inclines, lot of folks start walking and was my turn to do the passing. That's were the Leland Hills I train on payoff for me. Mile 1, 10:37; Mile 2, 10:44: Mile 3, 10:36; Mile 4 10:20; Mile 5, 10:17, Mile 6, 10:00, kicked in last quarter to finish 10:25 overall - about 40 seconds slower than my best effort last fall on a tougher course, but a surprising pace given the extra 30+ punds since then. Time to get serious for the rest of the year.
What would you do differently?:

Just to have maintained weight, or lost a little more. For the race, very happy - much better than anticipated or hoped.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water and pizza

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight

Event comments:

Good food at the end. Pasta, pizza, BBQ, meatballs, subs, bagels, donuts and water. The only thing that would have made it better would be coffee.

Really nice race, particularly if you're maybe looking for a PR. I'll be back next year.

Last updated: 2009-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:39 | 06.2 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 115/131
Overall: 131/
Performance: Good
Course: Down Rockville Pike
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3