Sullivan Civic Center
WARMF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 17m 23s
Overall Rank = 64/267
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:00 a.m. Had a Red Bull, coffee, english muffin w/ peanut butter and banana for breakfast. Caravaned to race site in Sullivan w/ Pat and the Kinsey n Davis families. Got to race site, drove bike course (looked worse than it actually was) - conditions were brutal with the reains, wind and cooler temps.
Event warmup:

Walked around, racked bikes, then headed inside to watch Becca in the youth tri. After youth tri, got registration packet, finished setting up transition - met up with more T3 peeps. Stretching inside as well as a 150 yard warm-up swim.........something I really didn't do last year.
Swim
  • 08m 49s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Eh - would have liked to been closer to 8 min - but with addt'l run, down the stairs to the timing mat, I'll take it. Besides............about 1:30 quicker than last year here. This pool is just too dang warm - bottom line - with all the swimmers, it turns into a wave pool, which I can handle, but the warm water is just gross and it also seems to take a toll on my breathing - just get so hot!
What would you do differently?:

You know...........I'm pretty satisfied with the swim. Will obviously go for sub 8 next year, but an average-good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Well, I enjoyed swimming without my tri-top on, however, it did cost me.........as I kinda expected it would, in transition. maybe 10 sec? I don't think I would change that strategy - just figure out a way to be more efficient at it. With the rains, I had shoes, sunglasses in tote to stay dry - addt'l time added.

I would still go w/out top for swim - w/out rain would have helped time - prolly should have been sub 1 min. Could not get clipped into pedals leaving transition - frustrating - cost about another 10 seconds on my bike.
Bike
  • 39m 27s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering the conditions, I was happy with my bike. Rain, wind, sleet.........it was not ideal conditions for a bike PR for this race, but it turned into one (PR for Sullivan course). Was happy I was confident going into the bike and proud of my offseason bike plan - made a diff today.

I want this course with light winds and 65-70 degrees.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Little longer than I would have hoped for - got out of shoes good, but ran through the mud with bare feet - fun when I was a kid - not so much now. Guy that racked next to me - well, his bike was in my spot - had to move his bike before racking mine. Again, shoes/socks were inside tote - took a few seconds to remove. Putting socks on also added to T2 time.

Just move more swiftly - no rain = no tote and quicker time.
Run
  • 26m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Again - ok with my run. My calves twitched a little leaving T2, however, loosened up after about 3-400 yards. Felt great the entire run..........maybe could have pushed more here? I didn't throw up? lol Guess I need to next time - lol - means I went hard enough. Legs felt awesome throughout and immediately after the run, so no complaints.

Maybe learn to push myself a little more on the run - don't think I was conservative, but feel a little guilty for maybe leaving something out there.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered other T3 members in during a rain! Got some eats, watched awards, and hit the road!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather - bottom line here.

Event comments:

Sullivan is a well organized race and recommend it to anyone looking for a Sprint Tri for beginners and veterans alike!

Last updated: 2009-11-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:49 | 440 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 125/267
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Serpentine pool swim - by the time I got in, it was more like a warm wave pool!
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:27 | 13.4 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 37/267
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out, 2 x around square, and back. Fairly flat course, we one small/short climb. About 1 mile stretch of road was torn up, but looked worse driving than riding it - seemed to have multiple lanes where we thought there was only one. Stopped raining for a bit before the bike, so some of the standing water has run off - that being said, started raining as soon as we got on the bike and picked up throughout the ride - sleet at one point.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:47 | 03.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 110/267
Performance:
Course: 5k run through park and city streets. I like this run course as it breaks up the monotony of a straight out and back run - crushed gravel easy on legs and knees also.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes