United States
EndorFUN Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 58/97
Pre-race routine:

Showered, dressed, loaded the bike and gear and was off to the races. Ha. Got a Grand Slam from Denny's again and ate a little less than half along with some Gatorade AM. I'm cliche like that. Ran a bit later than I hoped, but that too is routine for me.
Event warmup:

With the swim cancelled, I headed over to transition and put on my socks and running shoes. Ran for about 5 minutes to get the blood going and stretched out a bit.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No swim. BOO! It was the right decision I'm sure with the water conditions at the time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 17m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a gel a little while before the time trial start. I was pleased with my speed going out, but didn't pay attention to the wind direction. It didn't feel like a tailwind. It didn't take long after turning around to figure out the headwind coming back..Ouch! I took another gel at about mile 21 and washed it down with some Gatorade. I didn't drink all that much on the bike and didn't seem to be sweating much either. I wonder if the relative cool and wind didn't deceive me into thinking I didn't need to hydrate and cause me problems later on the run. After making the turn off the seawall, I began standing up some and stretching out my calves to get ready for the run.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder going with the wind and maybe work harder at catching a few folks.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I chose to wear socks on the bike instead of going barefoot like usual, so I ran through transition with my bike shoes on. That was a new experience and not as hard as I imagined. I think it actually helped stretch my calves out a bit. The Yankz! are nice when my hands are shaky and couldn't possibly tie shoelaces quickly. The running shoes go on...slipslip...easy.

Having my socks on already saved a bit of time, but I don't know how I could have been any quicker. I didn't re-rack my bike on the handlebars like I had considered. That might have helped some, but I'm happy with this time. That was a huge transition area.
Run
  • 58m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

At the very start of the run my stomach was hurting bad. It subsided within the first mile. I later found out that the gel and drinking I did on mile 21 of the bike was probably too close to the run start and could have been what made my stomach hurt. The first lap was fine, but somehow my Garmin was not working in multisport mode like it is supposed to. I didn't want to take the time to change it while running, so I just had to pace by feel. Then, just after starting lap 2 my quads were trying to cramp. Crap. I didn't know what I needed...water, Gatorade, stop and stretch? I just ran through it, if you can call the pace I had running. I did have to walk a few times for 10 to 20 seconds. All in all I'm happy with the run. The last training runs I did close to race distance were 5 and 7 miles and I paced really close to this.

I'll be sure to take the gel and drink earlier on the bike and not so close to the run. Also, make sure that Garmin is in the right mode.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot. Grabbed a banana, bottle of water and a coke. Went over to my group aid station, then back to the expo area. Had another drink and a slice of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough and being inconsistent.

Last updated: 2010-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/97
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:33 | 24.85 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Simple out and back. Pretty scenic along the coast with views of the Gulf.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:34 | 06.21 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Winding 2 loop course around Moody Gardens.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-25 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival

2010-04-26 12:26 AM
in reply to: #2815941

User image

Regular
Hollywood, FL
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival
Nice bike split, especially considering that dirty headwind on the way back.
2010-04-26 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Great job. I love your elaborate race report-almost feel like I was there. 
2010-04-26 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Nice race Rik!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival Rss Feed