Emory University
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 30m 40s
Overall Rank = 4/50
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, showered, dressed, and headed out for Emory. I ended up getting there a bit early, so I went ahead and got checked in. Shortly after, Derek showed up so we talked and goofed off. We talked to numerous people that did this race two years ago with us, and somehow remembered us, and others that I have seen at various triathlons.
Event warmup:

Warm up, blah. I figured "why bother?" I can warm up during the swim.
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Don't know how I did this, but I was number 8, and I knew that meant I was 8th in line to start. How the hell did I get that far in front? I knew the guy behind me was a fast swimmer, and I asked him to at least give me to the first wall before he passed me. He laughed.

It was a TT start with :15 between send offs. The guy in front of me was off, so I dropped down in the pool. The official gave you a 5 second count down, and on 1 second I ducked and pushed off the wall for a perfect start. First 100 meters I was just gliding. I was having a little issue with my turns as I was flip-turning under the lane lines, but the issue I had was that we started in the deep end so I had 12' beteen me and the lane guide, so I was running up on the wall before my turns. Well, I got that sorted out after a few turns, and just focused on smooth strokes. Everything was going smooth until around the half way mark. I made my turn, and somehow got my finger stuck in the lane line. I had to rip my finger out of it, and that threw my focus off.

Also, I got passed by two guys during the swim about the half way mark. The first guy because I think I slowed down as I set it in cruise control, and the second guy, well, because he had a motorboat strapped to him.

I actually ran up on the guy infront of me after 250 meters, but he was going at a good clip and it was a solid but confortable pace for me, so I decided to draft the rest of the way. I could totally tell I was in the sweet spot off his feet, because I was in that perfect "bubble" area and my pace increased with less effort.

I just followed him to the ladder.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time unknow, but I would guess :40-1:00. I decided to go sockless, so it would save a few seconds; however, that was not the case. I failed to realize that in normal T2 your feet are dry from the bike leg. With this race you come out of the pool, and put your shoes on, and I did not think about the fact that my feet would be wet. So, getting my shoes on was tough. I actually fell over trying to get my first one one, and then I just shoved my foot in the second shoe on after that crap.

I passed the guy who started infront of me (the guy I was drafting off of), and a few others during transition.

Be more forceful with getting my wet feet in the shoes.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

After leaving the pool area you run up and around a couple of buildings to the trail/start of the actual 5K run. From there you go down into the woods and start lap one of the run.

I started up the first hill, and then made a zig-zag before I spoted the guy in front of me. The chase was on! I started reeling him in, slowly, and then saw two females (#4&5), and I thought it's going to be a twopher pass, woo-hoo! I passed and dropped them on the next hill, and then there was a longer decent. The guy in front of me was moving about the same speed I was down hill. The bad news for him was that there was about to be a flat section, and then another hill. When we hit that flat section, the gap decreased. When he hit the next hill, I blew on past. Mile marker 1.

Then I found my self in no-lands-land for a bit, until I came upon another twopher (#6 female, and the other guy that pasted me in the water), so I dropped the hammer. It was great, they were on each side of the trail and I came up the center. They both heard me coming, and turned to look, glancing at one another in the process as I blew by. Again, back to no-lands-land. I came upon mile marker 2 shortly after. .1 mile later there was mile marker 3, YES, I thought they had messed up the marker locations until I realized I had one more lap to go. Oops....

During my second lap I started passing people on their first lap, which provided me some mojo to run them down. other than that, it was uneventful. When I got to the finish, I realized I was the second person in. Only the first guy that started the race had beaten me to the line. However, with a TT start there was no telling where I would finish.

Push a bit harder. I always get caugh in "no-mans-land" with no one in front of me, and no one behind me, so I don't have anyone to push me. Long-story-short, I end up putting it in a fast curise control to the end.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the edge of the hill to cheer the other racers in. After Derek & others came in, we all walked back to transition and I changed shoes, etc. I did do a short little cool down run to loosen up the legs, but nothing much.

After that, we hung out waiting for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things...

1. The run was a mix between a little paved trail, but mostly trail run. I never run trails, so the trail/gravel, mixed with navigating around water/mud puddles slowed me a bit.

2. I drank too much the night before. It was an 11:00 AM start, so I knew I could sleep in. Oops...

Event comments:

This is a fun very little race put on by the Emory Traithlon team. The race starts right on time, it is short, fast, and fun. The only draw back is the lag-time between the finish and awards. Since the timing is done by hand, it takes a while. There were plently of people to talk to, so it was not that big of deal.

Awards were done and I ended 4th OA, and took 1st AG podium (30-39). Yes, that is a 9 year AG. No idea why it was nine years, but whatever.

Awards were:
1st - $100 gift cards to Big Peach Running
2nd - $75
3rd - $50

AG winners picked a shirt off the table, and one of the options was a cycling jersey. Of course, I grabbed that. Personally, I think the cycling jersey was the best prize out there.

Last updated: 2010-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 500 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 500 meter pool swim. TT start, and you snaked through the pool. No idea about swim splits, so time is a total guess.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes: Below average
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Good
Course: It was a double loop course through the woods. I just ran where they pointed and the cones were. Other than that, I really had no direction out there on the run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Emory Aquathlon

2010-04-26 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2816406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Emory Aquathlon
Sounds like a cool race! Congrats.. I can't imagine flip-turning under the lane lines.... too technical for me. Sounds like it was great practice for you and you were way fast too, especially with the long run!
2010-04-26 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia
Well done on Saturday.  That was a fun warm up for Turtle Crawl.
2010-04-26 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2817054

User image

New user

Nice race Saturday and it was a pleaure to meet you.  I was #7 who was nice enough to provide the draft bubble for you.  I felt good on the swim, a little tired toward the end, but no big deal. I didn't flip the turns, but felt I turned fairly fast when turning left on the start side of the pool, but kept slipping trying to turn toward the right on the other side.

I tailed you out of transition as I spent time rolling on socks and grabbing the ipod (I know, but I really despise running without music, and it was worth the extra 5 seconds to me). I was hoping to stay with you on the run, but never could get comfortable and then the dreaded side stitches hit during the first mile....both sides.  I had no chance of hanging with you at that point and just slogged along the best I could. I think it was definitely lack of hydration, so it's my own fault.

I was afraid that they would have 9 year age groups...I need to turn 40 to get out of your group!
I'll shoot you an e-mail.  I think my net time was 33:07, so you whipped me by a pretty good bit.  Even on a good day, I would have had a tough time shaving 2:30 off the run, not to mention the 15 second head start too!

2010-04-26 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2817120

User image

Veteran
Good race, man.  Congrats on the AG win.  I was #9, the guy behind you at the swim start, lol.  I thought for sure one of us was going to get an OA win.  I crossed the finish line 3rd.  Damn TT starts.  Oh well.  It was a really fun, well produced race.  Look forward to doing it again next year!  Maybe I'll see you at My Next Tri, haha. 
2010-04-27 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Nice race! smart to draft off another swimmer to save it for the run!

I had a laugh a little at the thought of you falling over putting your shoes on...and I can picture you stomping your foot to get it on the second time! LOL

good race, bro! that's a good overall effort!

2010-04-27 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Oh, and I love passing "two-fers"!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emory Aquathlon Rss Feed