United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 3s
Overall Rank = 2/104
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

We registered, than I racked my bike right by the bike exit. Since running is not a strength versus my bike, I thought if I could get in and out of transition quickly, I would move up 2-3 spaces in the OA. I kept this very simple, shoes in my pedals, sunglasses strapped to my bike. So all I would have to do was kick off my shoes and put on my helmet.

Walked around and said hi to a lot of people we know, haven't seen most since last summer.

Event warmup:

5-10 minuts of jogging.
Run
  • 19m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The run pace started out slow, and a few of us were waiting to take the lead, which I really didn't want. I knew my mark, and stuck with her, letting her dictate the pace. I let two other guys go and just kept thinking to myself, "keep them in your sights, pass them in transition." At the first mile, I was very surprised to see how easy it felt, same thing at the 2nd mile. It was around that time the pace picked up, and I just focused on keeping everyone in my sights ahead.

As the run was ending, I felt really good, and held back slightly, but I felt that was the right call as I have never done a duathlon before, and I wanted to be able to pull away on the bike.

What would you do differently?:

Looking back, I would have pushed the pace slightly right around the 1.5 mile mark and try to get to T1 20-30 seconds sooner.
Transition 1
  • 00m 16s
Comments:

Awesome T1. There were 4 people ahead of me on run 1, I passed them all out of T1. A Duathlon does make for easier transitions.

1st OA

nothing.
Bike
  • 53m 12s
  • 20 miles
  • 22.56 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I was to separate myself. I basically just hammered away, using the wave in front of me to legally draft as I passed, each time it would give me a few seconds rest with no loss of speed. Things were going well, than I came to a turn, that I KNEW was the right turn, but no sign, no volunteers, and every other turn up until now had volunteers. The guy ahead of me passed it, and I thought, which way?!? In that split second, I thought they may have announced something at the meeting, which I missed...course change? When I passed the turn, it just didn't feel right, so I kept looking behind me, and sure enough, everyone else was turning. SHIT! I turn around, and get back on course. This was a .4 mile mistake, or around 1 minute.

After getting back on course, I was pissed. However I didn't allow such a small mistake effect my effort, and just kept pushing without trying to get back time that, no matter how hard I pushed, was in effect gone.

I completed the second loop, then made the turn back into the park and towards the hills.

I was in and out of the saddle, just hammering up. The decent is technical, so you cannot pedal much, so I knew I would be able to rest my legs.

Made it up the first climb, quick decent, than hammered to the turn into the park where the main climb began. Shifted down to the easiest gear, and spun as fast as my legs would go. Shifted to a harder gear, and got up and hammered. Kept switching up and out of the saddle every 10-15 seconds, knowing the decent would provide some rest. Quads were burning, lungs were screaming, but I kept on pressing.

Soon I hit the top, and the decent allowed my legs to come back.

This was a good ride, but slightly disappointed. Not with the result, but knowing I could have gone harder. I averaged around 289 watts, which is low for a 53 minute effort, really low. Should have been closer to 305-310. However, this includes zero's. Also, I need to examine my bike fit, I think. Also the power distribution, did I ride it smart? I'm really not sure, and will discuss with my coach. At 170 pounds, on this course, 290 watts should be faster than this. Also, my time without going off course would have given me the fastest bike split on the day, but even still, I should have been faster.

what cannot be lost in all of this is the fact that this was my first duathlon. I have nothing to compare it with and I'm used to getting on the bike with fresh legs, so that could have something to do with the slower than expected bike. I'm sure it does.

Trust what I know, not the guy in front of me. That cost me some time, but luckily this time I still held onto 2nd place; by 2 seconds! And no matter, I never would have gotten first.

Push more.

In the end, it matters little, as no amount of current potential would have gotten me 1 OA.
Transition 2
  • 00m 14s
Comments:

Another great transition. 2nd OA. (actually, if you take out relay's, it was 1st) Was in and out extremely fast. The guy from Score-This told me I was 4 minutes down, minus the 3 minute head start he had.

Right than I knew it was going to be a tough battle. I could MAYBE make up 10-20 seconds total, but 20 seconds per mile...no way. Plus, little did I know at the time the leader was Randy Hadzor, who is a local running stud.

nothing

Run
  • 20m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of transition hard, than come under control and settled into pace. Looked behind me and saw Rick Cote who appeared :30-1:00 back. I knew he would catch up, and used that as my carrot as 1st place was pretty much long gone.

I just ran, screw the Garmin, just go. I was hurting pretty good by mile 1 and I lost sight of Rick behind me, but being a trail run, no clue where he was. My vision back was only 10 seconds or so. I could swear I could hear footsteps coming, and kept expecting to see Rick Cote or Kristin White fly by me. I kept telling myself I'd never forgive myself.

Finally I could see the finish off in the distance, it wouldn't be long now. 4 more minutes of this pain.

Got to the bath house, looked behind me, and here comes Rick, charging HARD. I just went....I hit the line, and Rick crossed 2 seconds later.

Wow.

Not much on this run, I gave it a good go. The only way I could have gone faster is if I came out of T2 and I had 1st in sights, or if I was being chased by a dude with an axe.

Otherwise, I left it all out there.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and chatted, and waiting for my wife, who got FIRST in her AG.

My brother also completed his first multi-sport race, and he had a blast! It was fun sharing the day with him

Then I just reflected a little. Mainly, how far I've come in such a short period of time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

missing a bike turn, and not enough power on the bike. hmmm. need to think more about this.

happy overall.

Event comments:

This is a really good local race in its first year. They did a great job for the frist year. I got some $$ for placing overall which was cool!

Duathlons hurt more than triathlons!! A lot more!! Your legs are already tired when you get on the bike. Not even close to coming out of a wet suit swim where you barely have to kick! I'll stick to triathlons, but I will certainly "Du the Du" next year!"

In the end, to be honest, I expected to win today. Yes, this is a small local race, that reality is not lost.

Coming to a race and expecting to win is a rather interesting feeling. First, it is extremely uneasy and it's a lot of pressure. But, as soon as the horn sounded, it instantly vanished. Kind of strange.

Also, there is positive that I lost, by 3:24, a good margin in a race this short. It shows me both how far I've come, and how much further I need to go at the same time.

For some reason, that reality deeply motivates me and excites me.

Last updated: 2010-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:47 | 03.1 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Good
6:31 mile 1 6:34 mile 2 6:12 mile 3.1
Course: Trail run around two lakes, with 1 big hill. Fairly flat terrain otherwise.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:16
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:53:12 | 20 miles | 22.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/104
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: two loops on some flat sections, than you head back into the park via two fairly mean climbs. Though short, you got to work to get up them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:34 | 03.1 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/104
Performance: Good
6:33, mile 1 6:51, mile 2 6:41, mile 3.1
Course: same as run 1
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 10:22 AM

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: Du The Lakes

2010-04-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2816763

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Du The Lakes

Mike,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!  You have come really, really far in only a year.  Its just amazing how fast you've gotten in such a short period of time.  Just FANTASTIC!

2010-04-26 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
horseheads
i just got excited for the season to be in full swing!
2010-04-27 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2817443

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Nice race with a great result!
2010-04-27 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice way to kick off the season. You have improved a lot over the winter!
2010-04-30 6:59 PM

User image

You EARNED that 65 bucks!!

2 seconds.  Sounds like Rick ran out of real estate!

Congrats on placing 2 OA!!  If there had been Swim at the start I think you would have beat Randy.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Du The Lakes Rss Feed