General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/74
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5:15 made coffee and relaxed in the hotel room until 6 when breakfast started downstairs...went downstairs and made me a peice of toast with honey and peanut butter and some fresh fruit....
Event warmup:

jogged around in HR Zone 2 for about 15 minutes.....
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1056 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No Swim
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 18m 39s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

whole ride felt really good...we were told we would have a headwind going out and a tailwind coming home..it was the total opposite...the front moved thru and changed it all up...i rode easy on the way out to be able to push against the wind coming back in...it worked becuase i was passing up a lot of the feild coming in that had passed me while i had my flat...all in all a good ride :)
What would you do differently?:

try not to get a flat :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

came out of my shoes about 300 yds before dismount line...went really well and i hit the ground running....really saved me some time that way...sat down to put shoes on and off we go!

nothing
Run
  • 47m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

this was an awesome run...i love the loop course being able to go past the finish the first loop to get energy from the crowd and push hard to get back there.....

i had my Garmin set to give me a beep if my HR got to 177(my max is 189). it kept going off and i would hold right at it but i had ground to make up so i would creep above it to keep my pace...hey its a race..you gotta take chances every once in a while...the HR monitor is just one tool for the race..i know my body on the run and i trusted my judgement and it paid off in the end :)

• .i am not used to drinking really cold water while training and the water at the water stations was ICE cold... after the first water station i got a sharp cramping pain right below my sternum...it passed after about 5 min so i passed up the next water station and at the next one just took a little sip and poured the water on my arms and chest and head...worked out good...i dont need as much water on the run as i used to so i was fine just taking small sips when i felt the need the rest of the run....

• since i had a flat, gaven got ahead of me on the bike by about 11 min..on the first loop of the run i saw him and we threw some words of encouragement at each other..i also told him i was hunting him down and was going to catch him :)
    saw him one more time on loop 2 in the middle of the loop and at about mile 5.5 i had him in my sights..i reached for another gear and it was there so i rolled with it...passed him up with a pat on the back and he just smiled...(he's my training partner so its all in good fun)

it felt really good going down the chute to the finish and feeling good and able to take it all in....this was my best run off the bike yet...they will just keep getting better!!!!

not drank a full cup of cold water at the first water station......
    Post race
    Warm down:

my mom was at the finish...gaven finished right behind me....found some shade and stretched and had pizza and beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

Had i not had the flat my time would have been 2:07:57 which i am very happy about...i came into the weekend being my first Oly wanting to break 3:00 hrs....i figured my swim would have been :30 so i am pretty sure i would have met my goal :)

this was a great weekend!
    the races were great and i stuck around yesterday for the HIM
    time to start training for HIM.......

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-01 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:00:00 | 1056 yards | / 100yards
    Age Group: 0/74
    Overall: 0/
    Performance:
    Suit:
    Course:
    Start type: Plus:
    Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
    200M Perf. Remainder:
    Breathing: Drafting:
    Waves: Navigation:
    Rounding:
    T1
    Time: 00:00
    Performance:
    Cap removal: Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
    Jump on bike:
    Getting up to speed:
    Biking
    01:18:39 | 25 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
    Age Group: 36/74
    Performance: Good
    HR Data: Avg 162 Max 178
    Wind: Some
    Course: out of moody gardens to the seawall and down to about jamaica beach and turnaround back to moody...few rough spots on the course but some really good smooth parts as well.... Had a flat at Mile 5.....Brett from Bike Barn who changed my tire for me told me i had picked up some metal somewhere along the course...what a bummer...oh well, that is part of the sport...deal with it and move on :)
    Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
    Turns: Good Cornering: Good
    Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
    Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 02:03
    Overall: Good
    Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
    Jumping off bike Average
    Running with bike Good
    Racking bike Good
    Shoe and helmet removal Good
    Running
    00:47:15 | 06.2 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
    Age Group: 20/74
    Performance: Good
    Lap 1 (Mile 1-5) 7:59 pace at 176 avg. HR Lap 2 Mile 6 7:18 Pace at 186 avg. HR
    Course: two loops around moody
    Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 4
    Physical exertion [1-5] 5
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2010-04-26 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Houston
    Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2010-04-26 3:26 PM
    in reply to: #2816902

User image

Expert
    Texas (Houston area)
    Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Great race. Nice pic with Chris. Do you guys have the same glasses?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed