Hostelling International, MN council
46F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 00m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a bowl of Raisin Bran and took a quick shower before loading the car and driving down to Lakeville. I was aiming to start the ride between 8:00 and 8:30.
Event warmup:

Rode from the car to the High School to sign in and purchase some long-fingered gloves.
Bike
  • 4h 00m 19s
  • 68.02 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Sometimes it seems like the Ironman Bike Ride is destined to have crappy weather and this year was no different. It rained steadily through the first 1/3 of the ride from Lakeville to Jordan. The wind wasn't too bad at this point although there were a few sideways gusts from time to time.

The 2nd 1/3 of the ride headed mostly south, so we had the wind at our backs most of the time. This part came closest to what one might consider 'pleasant'. The rain even stopped for stretches.

The last 1/3 of the ride - heading back north towards Lakeville - was brutal and demoralizing. It was definitely a wake-up call for my conditioning. The course also was a bit longer than advertised. The Garmin recorded just a hair over 68 miles. Not a big deal, but worth noting.
What would you do differently?:

There's not much to do differently. In the end, this was a training ride. I suppose that if I can ride in this hooey, then a tough ride on a nice day will be like a vacation.

I felt pretty on-par with nutrition needs too. If anything, I could probably hydrate a little more to help avoid some soreness later on.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode back to the high school and grabbed some free cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, the wind and rain didn't help, but everyone had to deal with it.

Event comments:

I've done this ride 3 times - twice in the rain and once in the snow. I have a feeling that the weather is always going to stink with this one, so I may as well get used to it.

Last updated: 2010-03-29 12:00 AM
Biking
04:00:19 | 68.02 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Max HR: 168 Avg HR: 141
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride

2010-04-26 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2816975

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride

Your report was funny.  Another friend, who I consider a "tough biker", admitted the last bit was demoralizing for her too.   So, it's not just you or your conditioning.  I had about 5 miles of "pleasant" on the 30 mile ride, but that's it.  Speaking of cookie - what a buzzkill for the end!  That's all they had?  Or did I miss something?  Geez.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride Rss Feed