Hostelling International, MN council
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 15m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Admittedly, I did not get outside for enough riding before the event. I have been taking a spin class at the Y and generally do that M, W, Sa and Su; and I do a lot of cross training in the pool and on the treadmill. I did a 44 mile ride outside 2 weeks before the event. 10 days before the event I did a 30 mile ride outdoors. Those were the only outdoor rides I was able to accomplish before the event. I would recommend getting out at least 3-4 more times and intend to do that next year if I do the event again. I felt I had a great taper - I stopped running a week before the event; stopped riding 4 days before the event. I continued to cross train in the pool - and did that 2 days before and the day before the ride.
Bike
  • 7h 15m 26s
  • 100 miles
  • 13.78 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

I would recommend getting outside for at least 5-6 rides before doing the 100 mile course. This year I only did a 44 mile ride outside 2 weeks before the event. 10 days before the event I did a 30 mile ride outdoors. Those were the only outdoor rides I was able to accomplish before the event.
Post race
Warm down:

lots of stretching, followed by a nice hot shower

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. not enough outdoor rides prior to completing this ride. 2. A strong headwin during the uphill, return ride to Lakeville. On a normal day (with the wind out of the west), this would not have been nearly as bad.

Event comments:

fabulous organization! Great rest stops with plenty of things to eat and drink. great, friendly volunteers!

Last updated: 2010-03-22 12:00 AM
Biking
07:15:26 | 100 miles | 13.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was well marked; organization was terrific. plenty of volunteers and the rest stop stations were awesome. Odd weather pattern that resulted in the wind coming from the North East / East. Most wind here comes from the West, but not the day of the race due to a Low Pressure system that was in Wisconsin. What that meant was the tailwind was with us for the downhill portion of the course; and the head wind was against us for the uphill portion. Temperature when I began the ride was 48F with a 10mph wind from the North and drizzle. At Noon, it was 52F with the wind from the NNE at 10mph. When I completed the ride, around 4pm - the temperature was 60F with the wind from the North at 13mph
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right