General Discussion Race Reports! » National Duathlon Festival Sport Race (On-Road) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

National Duathlon Festival Sport Race (On-Road) - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Sports Backers / USATF
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 41s
Overall Rank = 60/110
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

Normal Yogurt and Oatmeal 2 hours before. Fluids. GU Gel 15 min before race.
Event warmup:

Light jog 40 min before. Stretching routine followed by another light jog and stretching 10-15 minutes to start
Run
  • 26m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Humid run. Downhill start pretty much launches you onto the course and sets a verry quick pace.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was a good 5K for me right now. I don't do well with heat and humidity so I'm pretty happy with this result.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

By bike was caught up with another MTB type bike and took some work getting it out. Transition into shoes and helmet was ok but needs to be quicker. Probably lost 15-20 seconds getting my bike untangled. Wanted a 55-1:00 tranition.

No too much to do about the tangled bike. Space was tight and an MTB class bike's handlebars get in the way of everyone. Conditioning will play a key role in upcoming events allowing me to get quicker running thru tranistion.
Bike
  • 30m 36s
  • 8.08 miles
  • 15.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't have hills to train on so I feel very good about the performance there. Bike cornerd like a champ and I felt solid. Climbing was good. Only raised out of the saddle 2wice for very short moments. Seat began slipping down about mile 3.5 presenting a loss of power. It dropped all the way down with about 1/4 mile to go. My fault for not rechecking before race. Overall a good performance and problem management.

Would like to get some hill work in but that is tought around here. Check that seatpost! I lost a significant amount of power and probably 2 minutes. Dropped from an average of 17/18mph to 15.8. Want to be able to manage 18-20 mph average on this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I was struggling to get through T2. Seatpost dropped and my nomal leg spin did not happen as I was dealing with that crisis. Heavy heavy legs.

I need more transition practice and it's early in the season. One of the reasons I did this race was to eval my transitions.
Run
  • 20m 7s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 12m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I blew this completely. No nutrition on the bike. I had nothing left in my legs. They were just dead. Humidity was higher than it has been all year.

Remember nutrition the bike. Spin those legs before dismount. Practice those bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching and walking. Fluid replacement. Protein replacement. Light walk in the afternoon

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, training, Humidity.

Event comments:

Good venue and event. Technical course that challenges but not a monster.

Last updated: 2010-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:56 | 03.11 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 55/110
Performance: Good
16:22 2 mile mark. Realized I had to pull back a bit or I wasn't going to have anything for the uphill run to transition.
Course: Steep downhill start with a rolling course through town. Cobbles, Asphalt, Concrete, Brick, Grass, Cinder/Gravel. Uphill finish last 1/2 +/-
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:32
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:30:36 | 08.08 miles | 15.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 44/110
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Rolling Technical course. Very fun actually. Uphill start with a screaming fast downhill. Aero over the bridges and into portions of the residental area. uphill slog to the turnaround. Open joints on bridges. Gritty in places but overall it was clean.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:07 | 01.55 miles | 12m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 84/110
Performance: Bad
Course: Downhill start, uphill finish, flat in between.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport News
Subject: National Duathlon Festival Sport Race (On-Road)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Duathlon Festival Sport Race (On-Road) Rss Feed