Merrell
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5 had some cereal and made some peanut butter toast to eat in the car. Drove over to my old roommates's place so we could drive to Castaic together.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, went to the bathroom, saw Jackie from the tri club and talked to her for about 10 minutes wandered around the expo a bit and hung out in the car until the start. 10k didn't start until 9 so we had a lot of time to wait around.
Run
  • 1h 38m 11s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 15m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall a good run, since this was a just for fun race I decided to stick with my old roommate, who is a bit slower than I would be. There was a lot more walking than I would have liked but it was a challenging course, especially for someone who hasn't been running hills or trails. I got some nasty blisters because I wasn't wearing socks but that's my own fault. The obstacles were fun and not too hard, they broke up the race well. I wish they had mentioned that there was going to be more than one mud pit though, the first one was about 1/3 of a mile into the race so your shoes were wet the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

wear socks!
Post race
Warm down:

Washed off in the lake we were COVERED in mud, skipped the bbq because the line was too long, hit up the med tent to disinfect the blisters and then stopped by in'n'out on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was trying to go fast so I don't know what my time would have been if I had been going race pace.

Event comments:

Overall a very fun race if you're looking to have a good time. This was the first one this company has done in LA, and it was well organized, they had EMTs at every aid station which was nice (except none of them had bandaids!). Also wished they would have had some kind of sports drink, if not at the aid stations than at least at the end. It was a hilly, sunny course and a warm day so something other than water would have been appreciated.

Last updated: 2010-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:11 | 06.2 miles | 15m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty hilly trail run with army style obstacles and mud pits!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes