General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tires and Wheels? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-26 9:45 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Tires and Wheels?
I am in need of some new tires.  I ride a Felt s32 that's about 4 years old.  Its a 54cm and I am 162 lbs.  I am fairly new to tri but LOVE to go fast..LOL...what do you guys ride...i am pretty sure my wheels are stock...so i might look into a wheel tire combo that is going to give me some weight savings...so help a brother out and give me some suggestions.  thanks!

2010-04-26 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2818518

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Tires and Wheels?
waterboy42 - 2010-04-26 9:45 PM I am in need of some new tires.  I ride a Felt s32 that's about 4 years old.  Its a 54cm and I am 162 lbs.  I am fairly new to tri but LOVE to go fast..LOL...what do you guys ride...i am pretty sure my wheels are stock...so i might look into a wheel tire combo that is going to give me some weight savings...so help a brother out and give me some suggestions.  thanks!

That all depends.  Are you looking for training tires or racing tires?  Are your road conditions crappy? 

You have many, many choices.  If you want flatproof tires, then Armadillos or Gatorskins are what you want.  Pretty heavy for races, though. 

Race tires - you are looking for low Crr tires (i.e. buying speed).  Good listing here: http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev... .  I searched through that list and ended up buying a couple of the new Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tires.

Good old everyday training tires?  Something cheap like Vittoria Zaffiro IIs are low cost and hold up well (and ~$15 shipped from ProBikeKit with discount codes).
2010-04-27 12:51 AM
in reply to: #2818538

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I swear by my Vittoria tires.  I currently have the Rubino Pro Slicks on all my wheels sets.  They seem to be far more durable than the Conti tires I had (granted, they were sort of entry level).  I seriously was getting a flat what seemed like on every ride with my cheap conti's.  Also, my bike mechanic and I agree, the Vittorias offer a much softer ride.  Conti's feel like riding on a brick to me.

T?he slicks are great for racing,????? ?????I have been going throug?h them a little faster than I want by doing all my training on them as well.  I will be getting a set of t??he Rubino Pros (NON slick) for my training wheels in a couple weeks.

Mind you, both versions typically run about 50 bucks each.  I'm not sure of your budget as there are much cheaper offerings out there.  The Vittoria Ziffaros are about half that.
2010-04-27 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2818518

User image

New user

thanks all...I am looking for a good overall tire to train and race in...my close friend recommended the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO cx 320

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1069772_-1_1518501_1518500_400235

My riding conditions could be considered kind of rough i guess...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tires and Wheels? Rss Feed